It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #1
(male)

beach_crip HB User
amputation questions - please help

Hi people,

I have a couple questions for anyone who can help. I was in a doozy of a car accident in May, 2002, and it looks like I'm gonna lose my left leg in January as a result of lousy healing. My main question is: If it's an above-the-knee cut, how long before I can go back to work? I sit down for a living - I'm a psychologist. Being a psychologist isn't helping AT ALL in terms of NOT PANICKING but I'll spare ya for now n stick to the practical questions.

So, what do you guys think, when would I physically be able to go back to work? Best case scenario please.

I'm also worried about how my daughter (almost 4) is gonna react. I had a cast earlier this year and she was scared of it, so God only knows what she'll think if the leg isn't there at all.

Advice and reassurance much appreciated. ( REMOVED ) I'm scared to death, here.

Kevin (aka beach_crip)

Last edited by moderator2; 12-22-2005 at 07:56 AM. Reason: please do not ask members to violate the posting rules

Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

dewdrop333 HB User
Re: amputation questions - please help

I do not know about how long it would take to return to work but as for your daughter. I would look for a book (a children's book) on helping adjust to disabilities. Kids work well with repatition as I am sure you know .. so talk to her about it .. often .. and let her know what is going to happen and that Daddy is still just fine and this is going to make Daddy better. Let her come to a doctor apointment with you .. (one where you are calm) show her pictures of prostetic legs and tell her that you are getting one too and you are very happy because it is going to make you better and able to play with her more.

Just some ideas, I wish you a speedy recovery!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2005, 05:46 AM   #3
(male)

beach_crip HB User

Thank you for the message, dewdrop!!! I really appreciate it. I'll keep browsing the site here for info, and if other questions come to mind, I'll be back.

Thanks again,
Kevin

Old 12-27-2005, 05:54 AM   #4
(male)

beach_crip HB User

post deleted by beach_crip

Last edited by beach_crip; 12-27-2005 at 06:07 AM.

Closed Thread