It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2003, 09:46 PM   #1

JESFLA HB User
Question Amputation

This is a real touchy subject, I know. I am writing to get some information concerning my father. He is 72 yrs and had been diabetic for a little over 10 years. Hegot a sore on the bottom of his big toe about 3 months ago. It got infected real bad. The DR wanted to try and save the toe, of course. He had several tests ran. blood circulation, oxygen etc. There is not enough oxygen getting to his foot or blood supply. He is scheduled for surgery Mon.morning at 8 am. They are removing the leg from the knee down. Has anyone had to go through this? What can we expect from this happening? Mentally and emotionally how do you recover?
What is the outcome? thanks

Old 05-30-2003, 11:10 PM   #2

Finn HB User
I was hesitant to reply to this subject because I'm new to diabetes and have limited knowledge about it.
However my mother-in-law had her leg amputated when she was 55 and it is very difficult for both the patient and also family members. The emotional stress is something that I find hard to describe. She also had phantom pains in her foot that was no longer there. I'm sure you will both go through some very difficult times , but always try to give him your support and love. I wish I could've done more but that's no longer possible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

jdog HB User
I am so sorry to hear that your dad has to go through amputation. I've thought about the same thing should it happen to me and I don't know if I could take the anguish if if it were to happen.

I'm sorry that it's happening so soon. I hope that you had a second opinion. I think now the important things are the mental health and physical health of your dad. You need to speak with the surgeon about any psychologists who specialize in helping people dealing with limb loss. I think that it also means his diabetic health monitoring should take a top priority in order to prevent another loss. Also, you probably need to discuss if he wants an artificial limb or will use a wheelchair.

I wish you and your father all the best for a speedy recovery and wisdom in dealing with this.

jdog

Closed Thread