I will be seeing another doctor next week to get a second opinion. The Dr. said It is bad enough that the cheilectomy would not work. Of what I read on this forum a joint replacement dose not sound that good to me. I can't aford to be off work for a long time. I am looking at the fusion
oh,dear! you should go and see another doctor or a couple of doctors to have other opinion I have never heard or such drastic measure as amputation! I have a very very severe rheumatoid arthritis for the past 18 years; it is al over my body and particularly in my feet. 3 month ago I have forefoot reconstruction surgery which is a fusion of big toe and osteotomies of all other toes. ForeFoot reconstruction (fusion and ostectomeis) is a standard procedure for severely deformed arthritic feet.
Last edited by shell4; 03-11-2009 at 02:32 AM.
woodworker 59 I had ask my doc if amputation of the big toe has ever been done due to sever arthritis he told me that to have a big toe amputated would cause more problems walking than having a big toe fused. Don't do it!
I had joint inplants put in my l/r big toe 2 years ago.after a year i was still having pain went to a different podiatrist who put me into modifyed shoe inserts, was told the inplants where for some one who was not very active.the inserts worked for about a year then the pain started again mostly in my left toe.my podiatrist said he could remove the inplant put in a bone graft and do joint fusion.i had this done on 11/16/2009 i was told i would have to be off work 2 months. A week after the surgery i got an infection. I was put on antibotics and was told every thing was going to be ok.last week after not much improvement my dr said i was going to have more surgery so he could look inside and see if he could see why the infection was not going away.so this past friday i went back into surgery to find out the infection had eaten away and my tissue and the bone graft.some of my tissue along with the bone graft and screws and a metal plate had to be removed. So now i am sitting back at home with a big hole in the side of my foot and a spacer inside the toe that releases antibiotics.yesturday i went to a new ortopedic dr and he said i will have to wait now probley 4-6 months before i might be able to go back to work.i have to wait for the infection to be totaly gone and all the wounds to heal before he can go in and do a joint recontruction, he also gave me the oppion to have my toe amputated.havn't realy decided what i am going to do
I agree with what others have said......amputation seems VERY drastic. I had significant, if not severe, OA in my big toe. I had the MTP joint fused on Oct 28, 2009. I can already see that I will ironically have more mobility with my immobile joint. I would think too, that if the joint in the toe itself is affected fusing it would not be an issue. It would be far better than amputation!
dbrink, I hope you find relief from that infection soon. That sounds nasty. I had a bit of infection in the incision when the stitches were removed. It was easily fixed with antibiotics. Do you have some "servants" while you are off your foot? I think you deserve some pampering!
Life is too short to wear tight shoes. ~ May you have happy feet in 2013.