It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2011, 03:53 PM   #16
(female)

ClaudiaJane HB User
Re: Below Knee Amputation

Thanks for your words of encouragement. They have helped me more than you know!
Claudia

Old 04-15-2011, 11:43 PM   #17
(male)

APC HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudiaJane View Post
You haven't posted in a couple of years. Did you get the BTK amputation? I wish you well in everything you do.
ClaudiaJane
I'm 30 now and unfortunately not much has changed since my accident July 2008. I still have lots of pain and require lots of meds, but still can't put weight on my right foot. I waited a year and a half to finally get an appointment with my 2nd opinion dr. My original dr said amputation might be right for me, but wanted the expert opinion first. When I first met the 2nd dr, of course he didn't know anything about me and expressed the same concerns about amputation. I gave him all my reasoning, how we've tried everything and that this would give me the best lifestyle for myself and family. He was empathetic with me and asked me to gather all the data/images and if we've really tried everything he would do the surgery... of course I was happy and did all that... but my mistake was letting a person from the Pain Program I was attending at the same hospital come to the dr appt with me. She said she wanted to be there for encouragement, and I thought that was nice... but the day of the appt, she said she came early and talked to the dr for a while... which was weird, but I didn't say anything.... and then when the dr finally came to see me/us, he wasn't interested in any images or reports I had, and basically just told me to 'try harder'. I told him what an insult that was, after everything I've done in the prior 2.5 yrs, but he didn't want to hear nothing. He just said I could come back only once some dr I've never met (who heads up the Pain Program) refers me back to him. 2 weeks later, the pain clinic just told me it was my last day... that this program wasn't working for me... and that was it... no more treatment and lost my expert 2nd opinion dr...
Now I'm attending a different pain program. We tried custom shoes and AFO brace, but that was too painful to wear. So now they want to try a spinal cord stimulator which would be implanted onto my spin to basically block the pain signals from going to the brain. I asked if I did this, would that finally prove that this pain is not nerve related and simply bone/physical pain... but they said no.. it would just prove that this treatment didn't work... This is now a 8 month waiting list that I'm currently waiting for....
In the mean time, they want me to do a 4 day admittion into the hospital where I would take all my regular meds, but then they would give me various other meds, including plasebo, and videotape my reactions...
I never want to say no to these people, but some of these things are too much.. I've reduced my meds all I can, but I don't see how anything will change unless amputation is done.
Problem there is that I finally met with a knee dr (I waited that year and half to see that expert 2nd opinion dr, hoping for all the answers... and first thing he said was I only do feet), and because of the spiral fracture of tibia up into knee, I have a really bad/weak knee. He said he would normally just do a knee replacement for this but because of my age, he can't. In seniors, they can last 20 years... but in my age, they would last 3-5 years... and after 2 or 3, I would have to get an aboveknee amputation. He also said that a knee replacement wouldn't be able to handle a below knee amputation.
So my dreams of a below-knee has now turned into an above-knee amputation.... and I must say I'm a little more nurvous about that. I think it would be a lot harder with AKA, and I'm not sure if I could do all the same things as a BKA.
Does anyone have an answer on that? What would the biggest problems/cons be with an AKA? My alternative is a life in a wheelchair, right leg unusable, and left leg very weak. All the meds keep me from working and that's it... this would be my life, while my kids grow up without a real dad being there. Yes I have a power wheelchair, they are buying me a wheelchair van, modifying my home... trying to make it as easy as possible for me, but I don't like being stuck sitting. I think if I had the AKA, I wouldn't need all those things and I could walk/run around with my kids...

Please let me know about you... I appreciate hearing from other people. We all have our issues and it's nice sometimes to not be alone.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: APC
K_Lana (04-27-2011), ninamarc (04-16-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-16-2011, 06:52 PM   #18
(female)

ClaudiaJane HB User

APC, My heart goes out to you with your present situation. You certainly have had to learn some very hard lessons in patience and dealing with pain.

I think that woman from the pain group who spoke to YOUR second opinion doctor before you even had a chance to -- was totally out of line, and what she did must certainly be unethical. But I guess by now you must feel that way too.

Sometimes it just helps to know there are many of us out there in similar situations, some better off and some even worse. I feel lucky that I'm only facing possible BK and not AK. I had a simple arthroscopic knee repair a few years ago and it was nothing like needing a replacement.

But try to take a note of courage from so many who have dealt with AK successfully. You are too young to remember Max Cleland, former head of Veterans Affairs, who was a double AK amputee. He was an inspiration to so many. I was acquainted with him in Atlanta, GA when I lived there.

When my pain was at its worst I'd try to remember the soldiers throughout history who dealt with battlefield amputations without even an anesthetic. My blood runs cold just to think of it

It doesnt help the pain and discouragement to know how much WORSE off others are, though. Sure, there are paralyzed people, quadriplegics, etc. but it just makes ME feel inadequate that I'm such a sissy by comparison :-/

Are you a U.S. resident? I can't help but wonder about health care and the cost of all this delay. I know in the U.K. it is quite a different story than here... as I have learned from the external fixator support forum. I hope you have good medical coverage, at any rate.

Wish I had something more constructive to say other than, "hang in there."
Claudia

Old 04-16-2011, 06:55 PM   #19
(female)

ClaudiaJane HB User

Now I see (after the fact) that you are in Canada. That's good, at least you have expenses covered and arent worried about that too. I also must try to change my mood, because I am definitely NOT cheerful tonight.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #20
(female)

A Huter HB User

hello Apc....haven't had my leg but for about 5 months and my dr. said yes i could get it wet can get in pool.I have just started my therapy.I am looking for the answer on how to walk up steep hill so I can rake it.I was down in wheel chair for 3 years ....had complete knee replacement and foot dr. said he could get do surgery on right foot and make better but of course it wasn't meant to be.So after 5 surgeries on right leg finally got amputated and best thing I could have done.Can't keep me down now.Still problem with knowing how to address steep hills. I Love yard work but can't do much at a time have to wait to get endurance back.Wish you all the luck in the world

Old 10-02-2011, 06:16 PM   #21
(female)

A Huter HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputs View Post
Have you gotten any of your questions answered? I am a 51 year old male that has been an below the knee for 40 years and would love to answer your questions if you still have some? My name is Kenny.
Hi Kenny, I hope you can answer my ?. Had my bk amputation about 5 months ago and am trying to learn how to walk up steep hill so I can rake it.I love doing outside work and after getting out of wheel chair ready to do some yard work.I do hope you can help solve this for me.I am in pt right at the moment just started but they are working on strengthening my left leg first due to complete knee replacement and that leg they say is too weak so they are working on this now so any answer would be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
(male)

APC HB User

Hi A Huter,

It's a plesure to hear how well you are doing with all that has happend. Can I ask how old you are and the nature of your injuries. I'm having quite a struggle moving forward with my recovery. At first the drs. were pro bk amputation, as was I for the better lifestyle, but now they are saying it's a bad idea. Their main points are because I've had chronic pain for so many years now, that I would somehow suffer from extreme phantom limb pain so much so that I wouldn't be able to wear a new leg... also because I would most likely need a knee replacement soon, they told me the replacement wouldn't support a bk amp... so I would have to have an ak amputation.
If I'm in so much pain now being in a wheelchair and having a very poor life for myself and family, I fail to understand why they wouldn't allow me to have the surgery and improve my way of life as you know....

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Huter View Post
hello Apc....haven't had my leg but for about 5 months and my dr. said yes i could get it wet can get in pool.I have just started my therapy.I am looking for the answer on how to walk up steep hill so I can rake it.I was down in wheel chair for 3 years ....had complete knee replacement and foot dr. said he could get do surgery on right foot and make better but of course it wasn't meant to be.So after 5 surgeries on right leg finally got amputated and best thing I could have done.Can't keep me down now.Still problem with knowing how to address steep hills. I Love yard work but can't do much at a time have to wait to get endurance back.Wish you all the luck in the world

Old 02-19-2012, 06:20 PM   #23
(male)

Jeron38 HB User

G day.. I'm 38 with a BKA ( Below Knee Amputation ).. I have found that there are varying scales as to how long you can wear a prosthetic or even if they can fit one for you. It all depends on your healing which takes time and exercising the amputated area. Will you get phantom pains etc. You must have a strong will after the operation and good support for aiding you to be able to walk normally again.
Reading on I would find a prosthetic consultant to help you in letting you know all the different outcomes before you go thru with either amputee surgery as that could end up being either detrimental to you and your family.

Best of luck and hope all works out well for you and your family

Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #24
(female)

hurricanesandy HB User

I am 51 yrs old and just had my leg amputated below the knee (just recently learned it is abbreviated "BTK". Makes sense but a whole bunch doesn't! The op was June 11, 13 and 15. Initial amputation, pathology then a little more taken and debreeding, last surgery the "flap". I saw the ortho today and the final stitches and staples came out. YEAH! I can take a frigen shower. I received a script for my shrink stockings and doc says it will still be another 6 wks for prosthetic. I'm a very impatient and stubborn woman and wish it could happen sooner but will go with the flow, I guess.
Although my Dad was a double amputee (he has been deceased 21 yrs now), he didn't share a whole lot about what to expect as he didn't know that this daughter would inherit his disease (Buerger's).
The physical pain I've gone through when this fiasco started in March was tough but the emotional aspect is another story. Most days I am just fine. Other days I hate myself because I feel sorry for myself. I'm a very positive person and believe I have a good attitude but damn is it tough to figure out how I'm going to live the rest of my life without my leg.
Kudos to everyone that has managed to maintain a positive and good attitude as I wonder some days just how the hell I'm gonna do it!

Old 07-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #25
(male)

Jeron38 HB User

Hey there,
You are not the only one out there who inherited and I can understand completely. Not only did I have the BTK I got a deadly form of MRSA so I was being treated with the wrong meds and then a piece of bone broke away and was sticking out my leg so they put me back in and went above knee in May this year. If your stubborn that's good but don't fight your rehab. Some heal faster than others and also depends on how well your surgeon fixed you up. The main thing is never to let it get at you and in one way I saw it as I see more of the world everyday than when I had 2 healthy legs. Everyone deals with the process different but keep looking forward and challenge yourself everyday to accomplish the exercises.Find ways to enhance your getting a new prosthetic leg. Good Luck and hope you are able to get up again sooner rather than later.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:09 PM   #26
(male)

Jeron38 HB User

Hey there,
You are not the only one out there who inherited and I can understand completely. Not only did I have the BTK I got a deadly form of MRSA so I was being treated with the wrong meds and then a piece of bone broke away and was sticking out my leg so they put me back in and went above knee in May this year. If your stubborn that's good but don't fight your rehab. Some heal faster than others and also depends on how well your surgeon fixed you up. The main thing is never to let it get at you and in one way I saw it as I see more of the world everyday than when I had 2 healthy legs. Everyone deals with the process different but keep looking forward and challenge yourself everyday to accomplish the exercises.Find ways to enhance your getting a new prosthetic leg. Good Luck and hope you are able to get up again sooner rather than later.

Reply Reply