It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2009, 06:03 AM   #1
(male)

magicebuyer HB User
Cyst at back of knee due to prosthetic limb

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum so please bare with me.
I should start by saying that i am 23 and had my right leg amputated when i was 16 (below knee). I have been using prostheses ever since.
To date I have had very few problems, abit of sorness here, bit of stiff knee there but everything has been going pretty well.
Now the other day (4 days ago maybe) i noticed that the back of the prostheses was starting to dig into the underside of my knee, i didnt really think much of it and carried on with my day, as my leg is held on with a silicone sleeve which i assumed would provid enough padding and the rim of the leg is lined with leather.
Sadly this soon became a problem, I now have a cyst, at least thats what i think it is. I know this is due to the the limb applying pressure to the underside of my leg, the problem is i dont know what to do about it.
The cyst is about 1.5-2 inches large, hard, rather flat and tender to the touch (and the bending of my knee) but otherwise causes no sensations at all (i cant feel it unless i poke it). The skin around the area is a bit red, but i would not go as far as to call it inflamed. Aside from this cyst thing i have no other symptoms, i do not have a tempreture, no tingling down my leg or anything similar.
I have had very small cysts in the past and they have all gone away by themselves in a short period of time. Sadly though they happened to be on my arm or somewhere else i could ignore, where as not wearing the limb is going to be a problem. I am of course going to arrange an appointment for my nearest prosthetics centre and get the leg redone, in the mean time is there anything i can do to sort this out, or is my only option to go legless for a few days?

Many thanks
Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User
Re: Cyst at back of knee due to prosthetic limb

Dear Paul:

Blessings on you for dealing so bravely with such a very hard physical condition starting at such an early age. I am very glad to hear you have an appointment very soon to see what is going on with that cyst. It sounds to me like something that could get very serious. I hope that things can be put right in a hurry. Please keep us posted on how things go.

Shirley H.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:43 AM   #3
(male)

magicebuyer HB User

Hello everyone,

As i was asked to keep you updated, i shall do.
I saw the local district nurse this morning, turns out i have a rather bad infection (which thankfully is only located in one place and hasnt spread). I was given a weeks course of antibiotics and sent home. Sadly there isnt much i can do personally other than take the pills, which is rather frustrating. If after 1 week there is still signs i shall need another weeks worth, if on the other hand after 1 week there has been no change (or it gets worse) i shall need surgery.....joy
So heres hoping the antibiotics clear it up, though i hate taking them with a passion (make me feel ill all the time and put me off eating).
Oddly enough though, she said that this kind of thing normally only happens to people who are just starting out with prostheses, so im not sure why im getting it now.
I am also going to be sent to the nearest 'limbs-r-us' for a new leg as this one clearly has some faults.

Paul

Old 09-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Silver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB UserSilver Swan HB User

Dear Paul:

So glad to learn that you got to some medical treatment. I hope that the antibiotic will heal the sore place. It sure does sound like you need a new prosthesis or a re-fitting or somethiing. Any rubbing is not good for us on our skin. Thanks for keeping us posted and please keep doing that. On this forum, we all care about each other.

Cheers...
Shirley H.

Last edited by Silver Swan; 09-30-2009 at 02:32 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread