It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
(male)

eldered HB User
stump pain

I am a double amputee, traffic accident 20 yrs ago with increasing stump pain.I've been thru an endless list of drugs - all have a dehabillitatingly sedative effect. I'm looking for more info on botulin-toxin injections in treating neuromas. Googling, found promising trial out of Koblenz, Germany. Non of the many docs we have seen have recommended localized treatment with any assurance. Looking for anyone with experience along these lines.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #2
(female)

cheryl1521 HB User
Re: stump pain

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldered View Post
I am a double amputee, traffic accident 20 yrs ago with increasing stump pain.I've been thru an endless list of drugs - all have a dehabillitatingly sedative effect. I'm looking for more info on botulin-toxin injections in treating neuromas. Googling, found promising trial out of Koblenz, Germany. Non of the many docs we have seen have recommended localized treatment with any assurance. Looking for anyone with experience along these lines.
I am a single amputee of the left foot and ankle. I had an infection which was harsh. Pain has sometimes beensevere. Elavil has helped me. Also I have been given Neuronton. I have had severe pain;I cannot wear a prosthesis I have not had relief. Now I know that I am not alone.

Last edited by cheryl1521; 02-11-2010 at 11:45 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
(male)

eldered HB User

Hi Cheryl,

Thanks for your comments. I think it's really important to keep this amputee exchange going. There have got to be thousands out there with "intractible" pain.

I've gotten a cryptic response from the anaestheseologist who wrote up the results of the botox trials in Germany. As follows: "I saw no relevant side effects, - I use botulinum-toxin also for other issues in pain therapy." He then listed 3 doctors in the US. But I think they had simply inquired. I have calls into them. Very slow going to find the wrong tree to bark up.
Re: Elavil - never tried that one (maybe I will), but have used 3 or 4 other
anti-depressants / mood stabilizers. Happy pills are great (allow you to make the best of your pain free time) until they backfire. Currently cut back also from 4 Lyrica (a 2nd generation neurontin) to 2 100mg/day. That's approx. = 3 100mg neurontin. Interestingly, the pain is no worse. But my head is a bit clearer.

I'll post any results of my search.

Meanwhile all the best to you,

eldered

Last edited by eldered; 02-14-2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: grammaticl errors

Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 AM   #4
(male)

independentjim HB User

Sir:
I lost 3 fingers on my right had via a snowblower on 2/10/2010... I experience both phantom and stump pain from my index, middle and ring fingers... I've been on the happy narcotics... percocets, vicodin, oxy contin... gave me the itchies, constipation, but left me dopey and numb all over... and wanting more and more to maintain control of the pain! Went to Tramadol--- narcotic like 50 mg every 6 hrs... but they made me weak, loss of appetite, and terrible insomnia... was going backwards on those buggers. I'm now on Neurontin 900 mg/ 3x a day... they tapered me up from 1200 mg 2x a day... seems to do the trick... I still feel the stabbing, burning pain on the remnants and in the stumps, and they make me a bit groggy, but that is all manageable... on the10 scale I would put my discomfort right now at 2-3. I am able to do more daily personal tasks and go to therapy via train in Philly at The Hand Center where my surgeon practices. Here's hoping you will find the mix which works best for your challenges. Early on a resident doctor at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia told me right after my 5 and half hours of surgery that "pain is a thief... it takes away your daily functions and disables you... work hard to keep it manageable!" I have follwed his advice in continuing to explore remedies which prevent the"pain thief" from robbing my scant quality of life after my accident. My best wishes and prayers are with you...

Old 04-09-2010, 06:30 AM   #5
(male)

eldered HB User

Yes, thanks for your story. I'm still just on Lyrica which is basically the same as neurontin. I've been thru several clinics. The last at the VA where an anesthesiologist gave me Botox injections (at my request) to no avail. I'm reluctant to begin the "controlled substances" route now advised - methodone, Nucinta. I'd like to have a real conversation with the docs involved with those Botox cases in Germany. Very difficult to get to the bottom of what is working for pain.

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 AM   #6
(female)

Darcy Corey HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldered View Post
I have been a Bk amputee for 5 years..If it is Phantom pain you are having the miricle for me was Neurontin..It is not a barbituate and has been nothing short of a miricle for me..good luck and God Bless...

Closed Thread