It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
(male)

DaMaster HB User
Unhappy How do i get over my below knee amputation?

Im 24 and i have a below the knee amputation on my left knee i wont wear shorts and i dont want people to laugh at me or stir crap up so i wont tell anyone?

The following 6 users give hugs of support to: DaMaster
cheers777 (01-15-2012), DebGrl (08-14-2011), Gleegirl (12-05-2010), JulieDe (02-10-2011), LilacGardenia (09-24-2011), Rawben (02-18-2011)
Old 11-05-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
(female)

beckfear HB User
Re: How do i get over my below knee amputation?

i can assure you that no one, except maybe a complete arsehull (who's opinion shouldnt matter anyway), will laugh at you. an amputation isnt funny and it can happen to anyone. and i'm pretty sure no one will create trouble either. what's happened has happened. you have to accept it and move on. people like stephen hawkings and helen keller have gone on to make their mark on the world despite serious disabilities. no one laughs at them. they are greatly admired for rising above the crap life gave them. best of luck to you. God bless.

The Following User Says Thank You to beckfear For This Useful Post:
DaMaster (11-16-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

icehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB Usericehouse3z HB User

hello, ive been an amputee all my life, mid knee, right leg. im 29 and ive never let it stop me from doin anything, i wear shorts, when i wear pants nobody can tell, but i also wear shorts and people dont really stare, and if they do who cares, its who iam and how ive always been, it makes me, me and im proud of that. since this is all ive ever known im sure its a little different than had it been from an accident in my 20's and now starting to adjust. but you will adjust over time, hang in there! with all the advances in prosthetics today you can do just about everything, the only things you wont be able to do are things you think you cant. you miss 100% of the chances you dont take.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: icehouse3z
DaMaster (11-16-2010), TTCD (01-06-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to icehouse3z For This Useful Post:
DaMaster (11-16-2010)
Old 01-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
(female)

Jesterishere HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaster View Post
Im 24 and i have a below the knee amputation on my left knee i wont wear shorts and i dont want people to laugh at me or stir crap up so i wont tell anyone?
DaMasters,
I too am a bka right (below knee amputee) since "96" should have been "94" but they wanted to try to build what the backhoe cut off, so for 2 years I went thru 23 surgeries and only to end up with them taking it off below the knee. Let me assure you that no one will laugh at you or attempt to start anything with you, I really don't see a whole of people starring at me, I wear shorts alot, I get alot of compliments with my prosthetis, I have the US Marine Corp logo since I was a Marine back in the early 70's. When I wear long pants to work, people tell me that if they did not know better, they would not even know I was an amputee. I find more people giving me atta boy for continueing on with my life as if nothing ever happened, for not letting"losing my leg" stop me from continueing my life. I raise my 10 year old grandson, I have had him since he was a week old, and I have 5 grandkids that help keep me young (lol). Things happen in life and we can do 1 of 2 things, (let it beat us or we beat it) and I believe you are one that will beat it. I belong to an Amputee Support Group in my town and we have alot of fun and we also cry with each other at other times when its necessary, but we continue on. Support Groups are a great place to vent, there is more room on the outside than on the inside, so wear them shorts and let the whole world know that you are an amputee and you are not going to let it win....Keep on keeping on. Best of luck...Live life to its fullist....

The Following User Says Thank You to Jesterishere For This Useful Post:
Curious One (07-26-2011)
Old 02-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #5
(female)

Rawben HB User
Thumbs up Re: How do i get over my below knee amputation?

DaMaster - Have you had any counseling or physical theraphy after your amputation? My Grandmother was a below the knee amputee in her late 60's or early 70's. Prior to that age, she was walking normal and very active. Once she became an amputee her lifestyle changed. Unfortunately, she didn't have the proper after care she should have had and here's how I found out...

I was fortunate to attend an Amputee Coalition Conference in Reno, Nevada with her. Of course I was the minority in the room, but very blessed to attend with her. While there I was very SAD (and MAD ) at what I learned that my Grandmother had not been privy too. So much information to take in and well worth attending. We met amputees from all over the world. There were many athletes who attended - some were bi-amputee with very "cool" prothetics for running. Another lady we met was a hemi-something amputee - where the first day we met she was wearing a prothesis that came up to her hip walking around and the 2nd day she was on crutches with a "baby sling" carrying her newborn.

Jesterishere brings up a few excellent suggestions and one being a support group! Definately, join one. If you don't find one in your local area, START ONE. Makes no difference where you are in your life as an amputee as to your knowledge of starting a group. The main aspect is being a leader or organizer to start one. Seek speakers (MD's, prothetic labs, wound care, counseling, clothing adaptability, etc.) to possibly attend meetings to help educate members.

One person we met at the conference, was a volunteer in his local area. The hopsitals/doctors/staff knew of this local group and would contact their group to come and meet with new amputees while they were in the hospital after surgery. This support helped patients to have a contact with whom to ask questions or seek advice. Especially when they don't want to "bother" a doctor with a question they believe maybe to bother-some or aren't sure who to ask.

Not sure if this will help you, but I found an Amputee Support Group page online hosted by the American Amputee Organization. In fact, the American Amputee National Foundation happens to be in North Little Rock, Arkansas. In addition, there are three support groups on their list: Springdale, Pine Bluff and Hot Springs. Sounds like a wonderful place for you to start. If any one of these are in your local area, you're set. If not, I'm sure they would love to have you join them and guide you on starting your own group.

As Jesterishere said, "Things happen in life and we can do 1 of 2 things, (let it beat us or we beat it) and I believe you are one that will beat it." Jesterishere is right on here! Think positive, things happen in life and could be much worse. Look at the American Idol contestant who's fiancee was in an accident. What a beautiful person she was and still is, just completely disabled now from an accident (mentally and physically), confind to a wheel chair and will never be the same again. We don't know why these things happen, but I truly believe they may happen for a reason. In my Grandmother's case I believe the reason was to educate our family. My nephew was born with a club foot and has had several surgeries through Shriner's Hopsital since he was an infant. My Grandmother, his Great Grandmother and he shared a special bond. She knew the discomfort he went through and how hard it was for him to walk, find shoes, etc. She understood him and he her. Now 15 years later, my Sister-in-Law's brother is a below the knee amputee at the age of 24 or so. Again, something we know all to well. Information we as a family are able to help him with. His amputee was the result of an dune buggy accident. They tried saving his leg many times with various surgeries. He was always in pain. Honestly, from the beginning the amputation should have happened, but the rest of his family talking him out of it, so they tried many time to save it. Now talking to him, he's PAIN FREE and wished he would have had the amputation from the beginning. His family didn't want to face it in the beginning where we were all aware of how life goes on and you can survive after an amputation continuing with a full-life.

Keep us posted on how you're doing. Are you on FB? If so, send me your name. My Sister-in-Law's brother is too and I would be happy to connect the two of you together online. You're both around the same age and that's great! Maybe you two could even start an ONLINE Virtual SUPPORT Group - Skype's free!!! Maybe compare notes, etc. My best to you!

Old 07-26-2011, 05:34 AM   #6
(female)

Legsy03 HB User

I'm not an amputee myself but I agree with the other posters about joining a support group for amputees. And don't let anyone ever tell you that you can't do anything, just because you have a disability. Look at all those atheletes with prosthetic legs that run marathons - I bet they don't care what other people think. There is an American model that is a double below the knee amputee - she was born with deformed legs and they were amputated when she was very young. I can't remember her name but if you google 'model with prosthetic legs' you should be able to find her. I really admire her, she is an inspiration to lots of people.

I actually know someone who was in a bad accident about a year ago and her leg was badly injured. She might need to get it amputated, if the bone graft doesn't work (which is happening soon). She has already had several surgeries on her leg and its badly scarred. She isn't ashamed of her disability and she wears shorts/dresses/skirts all the time in summer. She wanted to have her leg taken off from the start, as she takes lots of painkillers every day and she is in constant pain. However, the surgeons didn't want to amputate straight away and tried to fix her leg.

I hope you can get to a support group so you can talk to other amputees. Plus, there are some really cool prosthetics available these days, like legs that look 'real' with hair follicles, moles, etc.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:21 PM   #7
(female)

DebGrl HB User

I don't know if this helps you at all,
But a couple of years ago I dated a man who had his leg amputated from the knee down, didn't bother me at all, we had alot of fun together,
he was fixing a flat tire on the side of the road and got run over by a Semi
his whole body needed to be stitched up, I guess what I'm saying is we all have something that bothers us, who cares about the few idiots out there that don't have any brains, like I always say there looks can be taken away
in a flash!

Old 09-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #8
(male)

coyote41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaMaster View Post
When I was 19 I had a BK on my left leg, from a sawmill accident. I too never wore shorts and I never told anyone that I was an amputee. I like to swim so I would still go swimming and to heck with what people thought, let them stare if they want. Funny thing, When I had kids they would bring other kids home to show them their Dad's "wooden leg". I had a lot of fun with them. So I will tell you what my Mom told me way back then "Chin up and keep smiling" I live by this motto and you are free to use it too. Remember some people have no legs.

Old 09-23-2011, 08:26 PM   #9
(male)

coyote41 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote41 View Post
When I was 19 I had a BK on my left leg, from a sawmill accident. I too never wore shorts and I never told anyone that I was an amputee. I like to swim so I would still go swimming and to heck with what people thought, let them stare if they want. Funny thing, When I had kids they would bring other kids home to show them their Dad's "wooden leg". I had a lot of fun with them. So I will tell you what my Mom told me way back then "Chin up and keep smiling" I live by this motto and you are free to use it too. Remember some people have no legs.
Nowadays I like to visit new amputees to help them get back on the road. There is very little that I cannot do. You will find that you will be able to do almost anything too. Go for it

Reply Reply