It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
(male)

brahma5 HB User
Severe Depression

I suffer from sevre depression and have for years. I'm also an ampuyee of three years. My amputation is below the knee of my left leg. The amputation was as a result of diabetes and gangreen. I don't drive any more for safety reasons.

I am looking for any kind of help and or advice to relieve the pain of depression.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: brahma5
k2g (06-22-2011), noel1231 (10-02-2011)
Old 11-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #2
(female)

BrandedPrincess HB User
Re: Severe Depression

Hi,

Have you ever considered talking to a therapist? Or have some sort of counceling? It would really benefit you. Sometimes it's even more of a help if you go on antidepressants. I am not an amputee but I have suffered from depression myself for years. At times it was severe. The only thing that helped me was to actually talk to someone.

good luck to you! All you need to do is reach out for help and then you can get the help you need. You made the first step by posting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2010, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

I do not live in your world..I suffer severe depression also..I don't know what is like to lose a part of a limb. I do know someone who lost his ARMS and LEGS at a young age..about 23...he has hooks for hands and prosthetic legs (sorry about spelling). He is one of the happiest guys I know. I don't know why he is so happy...but I assume it is just for being alive...a balcony he was standing on got hit by a live wire and he was "fried"...does this make you feel better...I don't know..I was hoping it would make you not feel so alone. Do you have a social life? You should meet someone...it sounds like you had the depression before you lost your limb....Have you ever taken depression medication? I think I could benefit from taking it...but I don't take it...But ya know...it really works. I don't take it because i don't like side effects at all...but I'm starting to think the side effects might be better than feeling depressed. Finding a site like this and talking things out feels better too. What do you do during the day? Do you work? Maybe you could get a job and get out of the house...helps to get out of the rut? I find when I'm at work..I have a little bit more happiness because I''m not sitting here dwelling on my problems.

The following user gives a hug of support to Misssty:
noel1231 (10-02-2011)
Old 11-24-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Brahma,

I come here everyday in hopes of sharing support and comfort for those of us here who need it.

I would be glad to spend some time with you everyday, if you would like. You see, I am here because I am living with serious illnesses and have survived 4 strokes.

In the 3 years of so I have been posting here, I have found it to be the best therapy for me. Great people here, some very insightful folks who are skillful writers...impressive to me! I was able to completely restore both of my hands which were impaired by the strokes.

I have two below the knee amputees in my life so far, you will make 3. Both of those were due to motorcycle accidents in the 70's, they were friends. We talked about it, they both struggled with it at times, and both were fine men.

I am sorry about the diabetes. It is a tough illness, isn't it...my father has it as well. Myself, I have end stage renal failure, which was a direct result of the strokes. The strokes were a direct result of hypertension. The hypertension's origin is unknown.

Well, don't want overdo it on you...Tell me what is on your mind, I am happy to listen. Good day!

Old 06-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I haven't had a limb amputated either, but my mother was scheduled to have her left leg amputated in 1995. She was diabetic and had heart disease too and passed away after vascular surgery. I've suffered from depression off and on for years and now take Prozac for that and anxiety. I fought having to take anti-depressants for many years, but I do feel better on Prozac. I understand your depression and will keep you in my prayers. Hugs, Sue

Old 07-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #6
(male)

artemisthegreat HB User

I recommend trying an all natural herb such as marijuana. It works great for depression, frees your mind, and it's 100% safe. I strongly recommend something like that as opposed to anti depressants. Good luck!

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
(female)

slpjames HB User

Hi ! I am a double above knee amputee so I think I know where you are coming from. I would talk to a therapist and get on some type of antidepressant. I see that you said you don't drive anymore -- have you considered hand controls? Thats what I use & have driven all up & down the east coast using them. Maybe if you can get out more & spend some time with close friends or family. Most amputees are required to see some kind of therapist.

Reply Reply