It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #1
(female)

enjoyit HB User
Reamputation

I am a young woman and I am DBK amputee. I have gone through rehab and manage to walk without support.
About a month ago Ifelt terriblee pain in just below the knee and went to the doctor and was referred to x-rays.
I got the message that I had to have a new amputation as they did not get all away the first time. So now I am to amputate just above the knees. I am terrified for how much more disabled I will be. I have not really felt disabled nowbecause I could walk quite well and drive my modified car. But now????
I do not want to be tied to the wheelchair.
What is your experience with being a DAK. Is it possible to be able to walk or is it mostly wheelchair? What doctor s tell is surely well meant, but I would appreciate experienced comments from DAKs please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #2
(male)

Rockras HB UserRockras HB User
Re: Reamputation

Hello, I had to post a comment on your thread... I am a young man when i was 15 i was hit by a car ,a stolen car that had no brakes, i almost died the car severed my left leg below the knee it was terrible, they tried to save but they couldnt and had b/k amputation i know above is alot harder and double on top, but you keep your chin up docs are always telling you what they think but it is truley up to you. I was told i wouldnt be able to use prosthtics and if i did i would have a very hard time which i did but i walk i made it and you can too. You seem like a strong person and i think you will be ok keep your faith!! The Roc....

Last edited by Rockras; 12-16-2010 at 08:15 PM. Reason: Error

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-27-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

enjoyit HB User

Hi again.
Ihave now been called for amputations the 5th og january. It would be a bilateral above the knees about mid thigh. I am so nervous about it making me so much more disabled.
How are your exeriences with rehab. How long time does it really go before it is possible to use prosthetics and do you use the prosthetics for long every day and the ability to walk how will that be.

Old 01-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
(female)

enjoyit HB User

Hi. Now it has been a week since my reamputations. I had DBK amputations and had to do DAK amputations. They went ok wh some pain afterwards but that is due to painkillers I think. I have ot been mentally ok after the amputations. It was a shock to see the short stumps. about 3/4 of the thighs are left. What was sooo strange was when sitting up. I had a tendency to fall backwards as the weight og the stumps were not enough to feel stable. I am ver sceptic about how it would be walking again.
CAn anybody tell in their experience how long time it took after the amputations it was possible to walk

Closed Thread