It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
(female)

pms962 HB User
Amputated fingertip resulting from dog bite

In May 2010, my dachshund bit off the tip of the middle finger on my right hand in a freak accident. I had to have surgery. Almost a year later, I have terrible problems with arthritis in all fingers of my right hand. I had to have my ring sized that I wear on my ring finger because the arthritis is so bad. I have a weird fingernail at the tip of my middle finger now. For the most part, it looks okay. I usually apply fingernail polish to it when getting a manicure...but I am wondering if some of the discomfort I continue to have is because of that weird fingernail. My surgeon said that I may eventually want to have the nail removed. I just wondered if anyone has had a similar experience and if they had the nail removed. My finger is still very sensitive and I have not returned to using it to type or play the piano. It hurts when I try to use the tip of it...and I am wondering if that nail has anything to do with that pain.

Your advise and comments will be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Amputated fingertip resulting from dog bite

Have you been checked for Reflex Sypathetic Dystrophy (RSD)? It sounds like you may have some of those symptoms.

Sorry about the accident. Were you feeding the doxie when it happened? Just wondering, as one of my dogs can be "snappy" when taking food from our hands so we just do it.

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
(female)

pms962 HB User

I used to allow my doxie to go out front to potty alone. I was trying to coax him back into the house because the City's mosquito control truck was spraying in my neighborhood. My dog was barking at the truck and I was hollering at him to come in the house. He tends to have a bit of asthma so I didn't want him to inhale the fumes. When I reached down to grab him by the collar, he turned his head and snapped...next thing I knew I was holding the tip of my finger in the palm of my hand. I was on Plavix at the time too and was bleeding profusely. I wrapped my hand in paper towels and drove myself to the ER and they managed to stop the bleeding. Had to wait 2 days for the Plavix to leave my system before they could operate. I never knew where my fingertip went. It was bundled up in my hand when I put the paper towels around it. Probably in the trash at the hospital. I had just visited my cardiologist that morning and he had taken me off Plavix (had a heart stent put in late 2008). I will ask my doctor about that disease you mentioned. I return to him on May 31. Thanks so much!

Oh, still have the dog. I've had him since he was six wks old. He will be four in June. His name is Jackson. Love him to pieces. He is on doggy Prozac now and the snapping is rare. But he is still very playful. Prozac saved his life because he was on his way to be put down. He is a beautiful red doxie.

Old 03-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User

I love doxies, and had two during my childhood/teen years. That sounds like a freak accident, alright, but I understand how it could happen.

I have a cat that just came off prozac due to spraying in response to stress in the home. It's wonderful stuff, and truly lifesaving for pets.

Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 06-15-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
(female)

pms962 HB User

Update. Saw my doc and he recommended removal of the fingernail and modification of the finger bone which currently has a sharplike point. The thought of more surgery scares me. Plus my entire hand aches so badly at times. I had a touch of arthritis before the accident...and now it bad in that hand and it throbs after I have worked a few hours. I am a graphic designer and that is my mousing hand. Has anyone tried the Salonpas pain patches? I just wondered if that would provide some relief. I have tried soaking my hand in hot water with Epsom salts. Also muscle rubs. Nothing really helps. I have also taken ibuprofen and Tylenol 3.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #6
(female)

LilacGardenia HB UserLilacGardenia HB User

I just wanted to say that I saw a story on TV about a guy who lost part of his finger while working in his airplane hobby shop. He had it completely restored using stem cells from the extracellular matrix of a pig bladder. It was really neat, and the place that conducted his treatment is working on such procedures for entire limbs. Some pretty neat stuff!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:43 AM   #7
(female)

tenny2 HB User

I have had some of the same problems. I have had parts of all of my fingers on one hand amputated from gangrene.(A long story.) I am guessing you had some kind of inflamation problems. Which is probiblywhy you had to get your ring resized. You might want to see a doctor who specializes in arthritus. They should have some medications, that should help you.

Reply Reply