It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
(female)

MntDew1223 HB User
Amputation?

My name is Carlee. I am 18 years old and on february 21, 2009 I was in a car accident. I was 16 at the time. I was rushed to the hospital and they had found that I had lateral ankle bone cysts and when the impact of the engine going through the firewall hit me foot my entire right ankle exploded. The put an external fixator and me to keep my foot from moving so that swelling could go down. I have had an ankle replacement surgery a tendon transplant surgery and a couple other surgeries. All together I have had 6 surgeries. I still need to have a bone fusion surgery in a few years and then a replacement fusion later on and many more to keep my ankle going. After the accident I was bed bound for 7 months afterwords I went threw 6 months of rehab. After each surgery I had to go threw rehab just to hear that my foot is getting worse and worse. I am required to wear a medical boot for the rest of my life and use a cane until I can no longer walk. It has been a little over 2 years since my accident and I have no movement in my ankle. My foot is almost completely turned in to the left. I can hardly walk for 10 minutes at a time. If I can walk at all that day. I am a very active person, but now i'm just lucky if I do something more then just sit on the couch and watch tv. When I do finally go out somebody always asks what happen to me then I tell them and they always reply well it will get better soon, but in the back of my mind I'm thinking if only the knew. The doctors we're going to amputate my foot but since I was under age my mother made this decision for me. But I wish the had. I cry about every single night just wishing that I could work, but I can't even do that. I am so grateful to my boyfriend for being so understanding of my disability but I fell as though I am holding him back and he doesn't really understand what I'm going through. I have talked to my doctors about having it amputated but they won't even talk to me about it. I have pain everyday. Every night I have to prop my leg with pillows and then hope the pain goes away just long enough for me to sleep. And now my left knee of my good leg is starting to go bad from picking up the slack of my other leg. I just want to know what should I do, because honestly I can't do this no more. I just want to be normal, but I feel as though nobody really listens to me.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: MntDew1223
blackdiamond10 (06-02-2011), cheers777 (01-15-2012), MountainReader (06-02-2011), sunshine123 (10-09-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-02-2011, 10:59 AM   #2
(female)

blackdiamond10 HB User
Re: Amputation?

I'm so sorry you have to go through so much agony I know how it feels to be in so much pain. I had a total knee replacement from a injury in the year 2000. Since then i've been through 6 surgeries. All I know how to do is pray and trust God. I promise to keep you in my prayers.
May God Bless You.

The following user gives a hug of support to blackdiamond10:
MntDew1223 (06-02-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to blackdiamond10 For This Useful Post:
MntDew1223 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:02 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

oh Carlee I'm so sorry you're going thru this.....
can you get a second opinion from another doctor?
sometimes that makes all the difference in the world.

The Following User Says Thank You to rosequartz For This Useful Post:
MntDew1223 (06-02-2011)
Old 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

MntDew1223 HB User

I have tried but a lot of doctors won't accept my insurance around where I live.

Old 06-02-2011, 11:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

It may be that amputation is the only answer. However, if you ever go that route, consult with a good anesthesiologist/pain management doctor beforehand. Proper anesthesia, including high doses of narcotics right before the surgery, can reduce the chances of phantom pain.

Definitely, talk to a top foot and ankle surgeon associated with a teaching hospital. Are you currently getting pain control and treatment?

Old 06-20-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB Usersunshine123 HB User

I'd continue trying to find another Dr. for a 2nd opinion. I'm sorry you're suffering like that and pray that you'll find the right answers soon. Hugs, Sue

Old 07-13-2011, 11:37 PM   #7
(female)

more HB User

Hello - I know how you feel. I was in a headon auto accident in January 2008 as a result of this I dislocated my ankle, with the tibia and fibia lower bones of my leg coming through on the inside of my ankle. When they took me to surgery the night of the accident they talked about possible amputation. Fortunately (as others say - not necessarily how I feel sometimes) they did not amputate. I have since had 8 surgeries on my foot. They did an ankle fusion last year and I was still in alot of pain. Recently in May they removed all of the hardware that had been put in during previous surgeries. While I am still wearing a brace on the foot I can say my pain level has dropped from a 9 or 10 somedays to no more than a 5 most days.

I know what helped me was finding the right doctor. I travel 7 hours away from home to see this doctor and will not let anyone else touch my ankle - afterall he knows what he has done and what may need to be done.

What I am stressing is find the right doctor for you. Also, don't give up it does take time but hopefully in the long run they will find the problem and be able to fix it.

Good Luck!!!

Reply Reply