It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2011, 10:11 PM   #1
(male)

happy john HB User
above knee amputation

I had this amptation done 3 1/2 years ago. I have a vuccuum fit socket. I have tenderness and pain in the grown (where the socket ends). I can manage to wear it for a max of about 4 hours a day. Once I remove it I cannot refit that day (too painfull). I have tried applying solutions of (meths & olive oil) - (meths & aqueous cream) (baby bum) to the area without success. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

The following user gives a hug of support to happy john:
CaringWmn (01-02-2012)
Old 10-24-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: above knee amputation

You need to see a prosthetist for an adjustment! I'll bet he/she can do something to fix it!

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2011, 09:58 PM   #3
(male)

happy john HB User

Hi Brocelli.
Thanks a lot. I have tried many times with my prosthetic without success. He is now making me a socket with a "soft surlyn linning". lets hope this works.
john

Old 11-23-2011, 08:46 AM   #4
(female)

maagweTU HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy john View Post
Hi Brocelli.
Thanks a lot. I have tried many times with my prosthetic without success. He is now making me a socket with a "soft surlyn linning". lets hope this works.
john
my dad had an above knee amputation in 2006, I am his care taker.i must say the first 3 years was a challenge. unfortunately he is going to do the last leg early 2012 he is still going through councelling.

What he says is that , these socks make it worse sometimes so he resorted to doing it only half a day each day to have his fresh air in the afternoon and night. The panthom feeling took him a while too but once the prosthetic was done it got a lot better .

my tip as a care taker is that , take it easy and do what you can at a time as then your own routine will help you heal at your pace.He still has a tendency to softly massage his stump with just baby lotion , sometimes he applies anything with menthol.

good luck

Reply Reply