It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2011, 10:31 AM   #1
(male)

01formula HB User
foot amputation

In February 2009, I was hit by a forklift at work and shattered my ankle and foot. Ive had 5 surgeries and at this point my ankle is fused. Nothing has worked so now the doctor is going to amputate it above the ankle.

The nurse wasnt there at my appointment, so nothing about the process was explained to me. Ive been researching about the process and prosthetics, but there is just so much general information i dont know where to start. About how long after the amputation untill I might be able to start getting set up with a prosthetic? Is there anywhere online that I can see what different types of prosthetics are out there. I know there has been a lot of improvements in this area, so I really want to research and get an idea of what I can expect for when the time comes.

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-16-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
(female)

LilacGardenia HB UserLilacGardenia HB User
Re: foot amputation

I know of two things:

1. There are a lot of high tech prosthetics out there and constantly more being developed.

2. It's still in it's infancy, but I've heard of regenerative medicine research centers attempting to regrow entire limbs that could be used to restore amputated limbs. They can do fingers, but arms and legs are still in the works. I'm not sure if there are any clinical trials accepting participants, but it's probably worth researching.

There is so much out there... I wish you the best in your search and medical journey. We're not permitted to post links on here, but I'm sure you can find a lot of info though Google.

Best of luck,
<3 Lilac

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2012, 09:49 PM   #3
(male)

01formula HB User

Thank you! thanks for replying to an older post. work comp has done everything they can to make things difficult lol. i should finally hear this week on when my date for surgery will be. the doc sounds confident that it could be in the next 3-4 weeks.

Old 02-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
(male)

Jeron38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01formula View Post
Thank you! thanks for replying to an older post. work comp has done everything they can to make things difficult lol. i should finally hear this week on when my date for surgery will be. the doc sounds confident that it could be in the next 3-4 weeks.
Im an amputee and my accident happened in Nov 2011. I basically came off a motorbike at 68kph and my left leg wrapped around something like a snake. My tibia and fibia were non existent and it was non recognizable. After 5 weeks of deliberation from 5 different surgical teams and a psychiatrist they amputated the leg. The anesthesia said it was best to put in an epidural just after knocking me out to help stop the phantom pain. After what took about two hours it was over and i was back on the ward. Your stump as it is called now must fully heal before you can even think of walking again it the process takes time. Don't try to rush the healing process and do everything to aide your recovery .. You will start off with a basic prosthetic but when you learn how to walk again you can discuss replacing your first leg for something better.Keep workers comp going as long as possible. Prosthetic legs are very expensive. Good luck and hope all goes well

The following user gives a hug of support to Jeron38:
Phoenix (03-05-2012)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
(male)

01formula HB User

thanks! sorry about your accident, that sounds brutal. my surgery is scheduled for march 2nd. the company i work for is going to keep the case open after we settle, so everything will be covered in the future. thankfully the company has an excellent insurance that has been pretty good to deal with

Old 02-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #6
(male)

Jeron38 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01formula View Post
thanks! sorry about your accident, that sounds brutal. my surgery is scheduled for march 2nd. the company i work for is going to keep the case open after we settle, so everything will be covered in the future. thankfully the company has an excellent insurance that has been pretty good to deal with
Also if you have not done already. Look into your superannuation and ensure you have insurance as you will be able to claim total loss of a limb. Will help you later for on going costs.

Good luck

Reply Reply