It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amputation / Prosthetic Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2012, 05:09 PM   #1
(female)

Magmo HB User
Unhappy Amputation question after Lisfranc injury

I am 52 and mom to 9 and 11 year olds. In August of 2011, my foot was crushed by a mover that dropped a loaded appliance cart on it. My lisfranc ligament was ruptured. Unfortunately, I did not know much about local docs and made a poor choice. I had a podiatrist fix my foot. He said he had a great amount of experience and I later learned he had only one other case during medical school. To make a long story short, I have undergone and ORIF that failed and a fusion that failed. My tendons and nerves to my great toe and top of my foot were cut and the blood supply to my first metatarsal was cut. He also shortened the 1st metatarsal so much that my great toe joint is 1 inch below the others and my toe points straight up. Once I found out I made a poor choice, I was folloewed by a highly trained orthopod. He took my cast off a months ago (3 months post fusion) and said the damage was so bad that he could not repair it. He sent me to another surgeon who specializes in repairing huge orthopedic messes. This surgeon too the 7 badly placed screws out of my foot. He found that the bad surgeon drove screws that were 1/2 inch too long into surrounding bones, displacing them and drove one screw 1/2 inch in the muscle in my arch. The screws were sent in for culture and they are fairly certain I have a deep bone infection. Now, because I have not walked for 9 months, my previously healthy bones have demineralized and are very weak. The surgeon wants to re-fuse my foot and wants to try all measures to save it.

I was a professional athlete. I love to run, bike, hike and climb. I am done. He said I will NEVER run, walk more than a little bit or hike ever again. I have had enough. I don't see how all the surgeries in the world will make my situation any better. I have read many stories of people with uncomplicated lisfranc injuries end up with an amputation. I know that, should I have my leg amputated below the knee, I will have my life back. I WILL run, climb, hike and bike again. I simply cannot live with the inability to ever do these things again AND to surrender to a life of excruciating pain and narcotics.

I see the surgeon again on Thursday. At this point, I am totally at peace with having a BK amputation. I am NOT at peace with looking forward to multiple surgical procedures and a life of pain.

Any suggestions anyone? Is there anyone else who has had a lisfranc injury that ended up having a BK amputation. I am aware there is another procedure where they amputate your forefoot....but it is a very limiting amputation and I would not be much better off.

Any support...ideas....help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Brocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB UserBrocallie HB User
Re: Amputation question after Lisfranc injury

You have my support. It sounds like you are making an appropriate and carefully considered decision.

I'm sorry you have had so much pain. I hope you are better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to Brocallie For This Useful Post:
Magmo (05-10-2012)
Old 07-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #3
(male)

jeremycindy07 HB User

Motorcycle Accident in October 2011, I had a fracture of my lisfranc in my right foot, fracturing 3 of the bones. I finally had a fusion (March 2012) where the surgeon placed 4 screws and some "new" tension plates which are supposed to pull the joints back together since my arch had collapsed waiting for the surgery. The plates caused my recovery time to be much longer than normal since the bones kept moving gradually.
My foot is now pretty much useless, my big toe and left side of my foot doesn't touch the ground unless I twist my ankle funny which causes more pain, so I have to walk on the outside half of my foot, which is still bad for it all.
I too have considered amputation since I have 3 small children (1 week, 21 months and 4 1/2 yr). I cannot see raising them with the constant pain I have.
I have an appointment tomorrow and I have to get some answers about my case for my lawyer. If he doesn't give me any promise I will get a new surgeon I guess.

Old 07-19-2012, 06:32 AM   #4
(male)

LadderMan HB UserLadderMan HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your problems. I am currently trying to decide which way to go with mine, though mine is related to two failed subtalar arthrodesis, and many other complications surrounding the talus and adjoining bones and joints.
Have you had any changes with your situation? I'd like to hear any updates from you.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:44 AM   #5
(female)

fleafly HB User

Hello everyone. This is my first post. First, I would like to thank everyone participating in the various discussions for sharing their experiences in such a personal and honest manner. Truth above all else is what helps others who read the posts, I think. So thank you.

I am a 60-year old female who once was extremely active in sports, did gardening and yard work, did fix-it work around the house, and so forth. vacations were always active ones, with a lot of walking, hiking, biking and "on your feet" activities. Now, I sit at home, avoiding walking as much as possible, and wondering if this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life. My right foot has deteriorated through arthritis and Charcot-like processes. I am not diabetic and have never smoked, so those are not contributing factors.

I have had two failed midfoot fusion/arthrodesis surgeries. The first failed as a result of broken hardware. The second resulted in the collapse of the midfoot area and collapse of the chopart (front of the hindfoot) area. I am now in a lot of pain - usually more than before I had any surgery - and am making the rounds getting opinions on what could be done to give me some relief. The response I am getting is to have the hardware removed from the midfoot area, and then fuse the whole foot to try to end up with one mass of bone. A graft from my hip would be used to build up the bone.

I fear, though, that this approach may bring yet another failure. And, even if I do end up with a solid mass of bone for my foot, I then basically have a useless foot. Maybe my pain will be diminished, but that's not entirely certain. I think I will end up with a foot that will be difficult to walk with, especially on uneven ground or slopes going up or down or left and right. Amputation has been mentioned, but usually in the instance of "should this salvage surgery also fail."

I wear special shoes because my foot is deformed. I also wear an AFO brace to try to pull my ankle back over my foot. I had been walking on the outer part of my foot, despite my rocker bottom on that side of the foot. I work with an excellent prosthetist who has a lot of experience with amputees, and with the latest advances in avoiding the old problems with artificial limbs.

The idea of this last approach with the AFO brace is to find out if I get pain relief, and really, just to delay the next surgery. I'm at the point, though, after years and years of bouncing from doctor to doctor in search of a diagnosis and help, of saying that I have had enough with all the doctors who want to "fix" me." I am seriously considering bypassing this last surgery and moving on to the amputation. I want to get on with my life, and try to return to a reasonably good level of productivity and physical activity. I have never been a sit-at-home type of person. I need to get moving again, and get me out of here or you might as well just load me in that pine box and bury me now.

Yes, there might be merit in giving it one last try, but the result will not make me functional. It might reduce some pain, but that's almost less of a priority for me than getting my life back. I would be interested to hear what experiences or opinions people have about my situation. I also wonder what LadderMan has decided, and where he is in his recovery.

Thanks to everyone in advance.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:55 AM   #6
(female)

fleafly HB User

Hello everyone. This is my first post. First, I would like to thank everyone participating in the various discussions for sharing their experiences in such a personal and honest manner. Truth above all else is what helps others who read the posts, I think. So thank you.

I am a 60-year old female who once was extremely active in sports, did gardening and yard work, did fix-it work around the house, and so forth. Vacations were always active ones, with a lot of walking, hiking, biking and "on your feet" activities. Now, I sit at home, avoiding walking as much as possible, and wondering if this is how it's going to be for the rest of my life. My right foot has deteriorated through arthritis and Charcot-like processes. I am not diabetic and have never smoked, so those are not contributing factors.

I had to have my knee replaced in order to have everything in proper alignment for foot surgery. I have had two failed midfoot fusion/arthrodesis surgeries since 2010. The first failed as a result of broken hardware. The second resulted in the collapse of the midfoot area and collapse of the chopart (front of the hindfoot) area. I am now in a lot of pain - usually more than before I had any surgery - and am making the rounds getting opinions on what could be done to give me some relief. The response I am getting is to have the hardware removed from the midfoot area, and then fuse the whole foot to try to end up with one mass of bone. A graft from my hip would be used to build up the bone.

I fear, though, that this approach may bring yet another failure. And, even if I do end up with a solid mass of bone for my foot, I then basically have a useless foot. Maybe my pain will be diminished, but that's not entirely certain. I think I will end up with a foot that will be difficult to walk with, especially on uneven ground or slopes going up or down or left and right. Amputation has been mentioned, but usually in the instance of "should this salvage surgery also fail."

I wear special shoes because my foot is deformed. I also wear an AFO brace to try to pull my ankle back over my foot. I had been walking on the outer part of my foot, despite my rocker bottom on that side of the foot. I work with an excellent prosthetist who has a lot of experience with amputees, and with the latest advances in avoiding the old problems with artificial limbs such as friction sores and discomfort.

The idea of this last approach with the AFO brace is to find out if I get pain relief, and really, just to delay the next surgery. I'm at the point, though, after years and years of bouncing from doctor to doctor in search of a diagnosis and help, of saying that I have had enough with all the doctors who want to "fix" me." I am seriously considering bypassing this last surgery and moving on to the amputation. I want to get on with my life, and try to return to a reasonably good level of productivity and physical activity. I have never been a sit-at-home type of person. I need to get moving again, and get me out of here or you might as well just load me in that pine box and bury me now.

Yes, there might be merit in giving it one last try, but the result will not make me functional. It might reduce some pain, but that's almost less of a priority for me than getting my life back. I have other orthopedic issues such as two knee replacements and an unhappy hip, so as it is, I am looking at other surgeries in my future. Why, then, would I go through this foot surgery to maybe fail again or to end up with a fairly useless foot? I would be interested to hear what experiences or opinions people have about my situation. I also wonder what LadderMan has decided, and where he is in his recovery.

There has been no activity on the thread, but I hope that people are still keeping an eye on it, because I sure could use some input! Thanks to everyone in advance.

Reply Reply