It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board

ALS muscle twitching

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-19-2016, 06:50 PM   #1
georgia9
(female)

georgia9 HB User
ALS muscle twitching

Hi! I am a 23 year old female graduate student. For the past 5 months, I have been experiencing all over muscle twitching. Sometimes it is visible and a pulsing feeling, and other times it feels like a worm is crawling under my skin. It varies from an uncontrollable chin/facial twitch, to thumb twitching, groin twitches (feels like vibrating phone). This all started when I randomly contracted bilateral eye redness with no irritation or infection, of course upon googling I found that that could be caused by everything from cornea irritation from contact lens ( which I wear) to als! Naturally, I began to notice the twitching more with this in my head, but contributed it to anxiety and hoped it would go away. Well it didn't after about a month so I finally saw a neurologist who did a lot of blood tests in addition to nerve condition study and muscle conduction study. All of this was normal, I hope given that the twitching would cease but six months later it's still present. I have good days and bad days but pretty much not a day goes by I don't have any twitching. I have trouble falling asleep, and have just reached the point that I am convincing myself I have als. I have no noticed any muscle weakness, as I am able to keep up with my regular rigorous workout routine (cycling and kickboxing). The latest twitch has appeared in my chin/lip and groin area. Originally it was mainly legs, and calves and now the facial twitching is occurring which is most annoying. My neurologist basically said he doesn't think I have als, and there is a really expensive test I could have that is about 9000 and he didn't really specific what it would test but he said if my insurance covered it I could have that but my insurance doesn't cover it. I just want either some more helpful insight or ideas of what, if any, steps I should take to make this twitching stop! It's driving me crazy and I want to know I don't have als because is terrifying me!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2016, 10:29 PM   #2
Lisa903
Inactive
(female)

Lisa903 HB User
Re: ALS muscle twitching

Have your b6 level tested, especially if you are taking any vitamins. I had all those symptoms with b6 toxicity.

Old 05-13-2016, 10:31 PM   #3
TimAlley
(male)

TimAlley HB UserTimAlley HB User

Doesn't sound like ALS at all. You will be fine.

Old 05-23-2016, 06:32 PM   #4
Bcwallace
(male)

Bcwallace HB User

Hi, Sorry to hear about your twitching. I had a brother who had ALS for 9 years before he succumbed to the disease. He was a young father when diagnosed at 31. I cared for him until his death in the mid 1990's. About two years later, when i entered the same stage of life as he when diagnosed, I started to get muscle vesiculations in my arm and weakness in my legs. This was followed by eye twitches and general twitching all over my body, similar to what my brother had described in the early stages of his disease. I went to my doctor and she referred me to a neurologist in my area who conducted an emg test on me. They concluded that I did not have ALS. They said that often people close to others with ALS and even medical students often manifest the symptoms of ALS but progress no further. They told me to go home and live my life and the symptoms subsided in three days. They said that the human brain can manifest almost any disease. I totally believe this because I was sure I had ALS. The more I thought about it, the worse the symptoms became.
My brother was a remarkable man. There are many stories out there of people with ALS choosing life and making a big impact on society in their remaining days. I continue to volunteer and fund raise in our local community in support of ALS. I pray to god you do not have ALS and encourage you to support your local ALS society.
In an unfortunate twist, my wife of 29 years was diagnosed with ALS 3 years ago.
Like my brother she has embraced the days she has left and continues to work and support the cause of ALS research.

Old 07-26-2017, 08:25 AM   #5
Beastie
(male)

Beastie HB User

omg my heart goes out to you , that you have to go through this again with care taking a loved one, i have much admiration for people who face terminal illness like your wife and brother with such bravery, me on the other hand i'm a coward, i have twitches and i fear als. posted earlier. my prays are with you.

Reply Reply

« Fear als | - »