It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-12-2003, 08:06 AM   #1

ashtonn HB User
Question Does ALS include "tingling- numb feeling" or not?

Hi. my husband (age 37) has had a possible diagnosis of ALS hanging over him for a ittle over a year and a half. Doc said if the weakness in left arm does not spread, that after 2 years she will probably rule out full blown ALS. Well, we are 3 months and 3 weeks away from two years, and the entire time he has been stable (except for cramps in stomach, legs, and arms and twitching which doc knew about and did not feel it was a concern). Unfortunately within the last WEEK, he now has weakness in right arm, that tingling-numb feeling in BOTH hands, and has tripped a few times due to right leg giving out! ALL IN A WEEK!! Doc said that numbness is not a symptom of ALS and that it is odd to be stable for a little over a year and a half and then for all this to happen in a week. I researched the tingling-numbness sensation in regard to ALS and have spoken to a relative of someone who died of ALS. I found many "official" sites saying that there is no relationship between the tingling-numbness sensation and ALS and other sites, including a confirmation by the relative who's mother died of ALS, saying that this IS a part of ALS. I have two questions: Is the numbness-tingling sensation a part of ALS or not????? What are your thoughts about what is happening to my husband in relation to having ALS????
Thank you for any insight.
Amy

Old 12-12-2003, 10:11 PM   #2

Kieran4004 HB User
Re: Does ALS include "tingling- numb feeling" or not?

I am 39 and have the same numbing tingling sensation in the arms. I went to a Neuro and he said he would worry about ALS only if it was associated with weakness in the arms, which I do not have at this time. He diagnosed me with RLS, because it happens when I am at rest and improves with movement. I doubt the diagnosis. He put me on Mirapex, which has helped a lot. I worry about ALS, but I figure, that since it has no cure and I am able to live a full life now, then I won't let it effect my life as much as I can. If I do have it, then it is not going to go away. So I am going to make the most of every momenr I have. ALL moments are gifts from God. I hope this makes sense and helps

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2004, 05:08 AM   #3

TarballGunzip HB User
Re: Does ALS include "tingling- numb feeling" or not?

[QUOTE=ashtonn]Hi. my husband (age 37) has had a possible diagnosis of ALS

I also had numbness-tingling sensation in my fingertips, and my legs would one day feel light as feathers, the next day be heavy as lead. I had so many symptoms of ALS...but my ANA's were normal. Finally we found out that my problem was Arsnic poisioning. See, we have a deck out our back door, and we postponed having it sealed for like 2 yrs. I often would go out on the deck barefooted. The deck wood is treated wood, which has arsnic in it, and will show up as green planks on our deck. well we had lotssssssssss of green planks, and after about 6 months to a yr of being sick, AND staying off the deck, I have finally recovered nearly totally. We also had our deck professionally sealed after the doc told us about the arsnic in treated wood decks.
just a thought....

Tar Gz

Closed Thread