It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2006, 05:50 PM   #1
(female)

nict HB User
symptoms of bulbar als?

For the past two months I have felt like there is a lump in my throat and I have difficulty swallowing. My neck and jaw also feel stiff. I was just wondering if anyone could explain to me what it feels like when you have swallowing difficulties due to ALS. Does it feel like a lump? Does it feel like your whole neck/throat is constricted? I feel like I always have mucous stuck in my throat.

I sometimes also feel that I am having difficulty getting words out of my mouth and my voice is a little hoarse, but I think this is more likely a cold starting. I do not have any other symptoms of ALS - no twitching, no tongue fasciculations, no weakness in my limbs.

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer. I'm starting to get anxious about this situation.

Last edited by nict; 01-06-2006 at 05:51 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2006, 08:18 AM   #2
(female)

airey HB User
Re: symptoms of bulbar als?

I know my friend who had als started biting his tongue. There were also times his speech was slurred like he was drunk. One time he was drinking, he wasn't drunk but his buddies thought he was drunk because he couldn't get his words out. You might as well go to the doctors because it takes a long time to diagnose anyway. It takes about a year before you are sure. It doesn't sound like you have it but you have to see a doctor.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
(female)

aki HB User

I saw this post when I was searching tonight, and had to post. This is exactly how my throat/jaw have been for the past 2 months. How are you now?

Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Sounds like a GERD or reflux symptom. Gerd can effect your jaw, throat and neck areas. Any of you have reflux? Maybe a gastro doc. can help.
Good luck

Old 01-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
(female)

Miranda21013 HB User

You should go to the doctor to start ruling things out. I have ALS and it first affected my tongue and throat. It took a yr. & a half before I was diagnosed. The symptoms had to worsen before the doc. could be sure. I did not feel like I had a lump in my throat. That could be acid reflux. I did at times feel as though my tongue was going to block my throat. I have trouble swallowing, eating, drinking and I can no longer speak. There are several conditions and other diseases that can mimic ALS that are treatable. I kept telling the doctors that I couldn't speak properly, and they kept telling me, oh, you sound fine to me. I knew something was going on, but until it progressed further they didn't believe me.

Closed Thread