It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-20-2006, 07:23 PM   #1
(male)

Dartkick HB User
Worrying male - Symptoms of ALS perhaps.

Hello everyone. Beginning a few months ago, I've gotten many strange symptoms that are scaring me to death. I've done some research, and I'm still not entirely sure what they could be. I thought perhaps Lupus, and actually did a very similar post on the Lupus board, but it now seems a little less likely.

Here's a list of every symptom I can think of that I have:

-From approximately one year ago, I've had a strange pain in my chest. When I first got it, it was extremely scary but I've gotten used to it. It's a dull pain around the lower half of my left lung. It seems to continue for months at a time, then mysteriously disappear. When it hurts, it also hurts to the touch
-My throat often gets sore
-Almost every major joint and muscle in my body gets very sore. This also comes and goes and sometimes only certain places hurt, its very strange.
-Additionally my body has become very extremely cracky and snappy lately. Almost every joint is extremely cracky and makes a cracking noise at even the slightest movement.
-I don't feel well almost all the time. I feel drowsy often, and am unable to complete an entire day of work without becoming exhausted.
-When standing up from a sitting position, my back cracks loudly, around where my pelvis is.
-My left hip joint is extremely strange. When I walk, it snaps every step I take, and I can feel something moving inside (tendons? The bursa surrounding the joint? No idea...). This does not hurt, however.
-When I lift my arm up above my head, the tendons in my arm snap loudly sometimes.
-Recently, When I twist my wrist around, I can feel the tendons (I think they're tendons) in my arm making a scraping sensation. This also does not hurt, however there's definately some sort of infection in the tendons there.
-(maybe no connection, maybe just dreaming this one...) In the morning when I wake up, my eyes seem very sensitive to the light. If its a bright day out and I got outside, I can barely see anything for a while..
-Concentration problems
-At times nausea, extreme tiredness
-Recently the muscles in my face are tingling a bit.. Mainly in the left side.
-My tendons also feel tight all over my body. Again, none of this hurts when the cracking happens, but there is a general pain in a lot of my joints.
-My heart races at times.
-If I put my left hand on my right elbow and twist my right hand around, I can feel the tendons (or something?) twisting around and scraping around inside. This is also pretty scary ----

Things I DON'T have:
-Butterfly rash, or ANY rash for that matter (probably not Lupus)
-irregularities in blood cell count
-any swelling of any sort
-rheumatoid factor and any signs that could point to rheumatoid arthrytis in my blood
-Bad balance
-No change in weight
-Any mental related problems (just tired a lot...)

Sorry for the long post everyone, but this is something I'm thoroughly worried about.

The sore chest started a year ago, and everything else maybe.. 5 months ago.

Also, I'd like to speak of my current situation:

I've a 22 year old male from Canada who is currently in Tokyo, Japan on a working holiday visa to study. I've been here since last August, and will return to Canada soon (August). While Canada is relatively cold, Tokyo is sub-tropical and is extremely humid and the summer days range from fairly hot to extremely hot. I have gone to the doctor maybe 6 times in Canada about my chest, and approximately 7 times in Japan since all of the above symptoms occured. Blood tests normal. X Rays (of bones in chest, of lungs, of knees, of feet) are always normal. No doctor ever even suggested Lupus or ALS or thought anything of it seemingly. I intend to go to the doctor again upon returning to Canada (it's expensive in Japan and I'm out of money...).

Does this sound like ALS to anyone? I know it doesnt exactly match up with some of the symptoms you read, but everyone has a different experience, right? Has any other person here with ALS has a problem with snappy joints or any of the other things I listed? The snappy joints are especially strange to me, because I can't find any disease with the symptoms of snappy joints, but I find many related to my other diseases (mainly connective tissue diseases and things).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2006, 06:48 AM   #2
(female)

Dan's Mom HB User
Re: Worrying male - Symptoms of ALS perhaps.

no it doesn't. What foes your Dr, say? It sounds more like lupus or fibromylagia. I hope you get to the root of this soon.

Old 08-03-2006, 06:23 PM   #3
(female)

moontine HB User

It definitely doesn't sound like ALS

Old 08-30-2006, 05:19 AM   #4
(female)

kirstend HB User
Smile Re: Worrying male - Symptoms of ALS perhaps.

have you checked out lymes disease?
just a thought, sounds symptomatic... check out this page

[url]http://www.lyme.org/otherdis/ld_symptoms.html[/url]

Old 08-30-2006, 05:29 AM   #5
(female)

kirstend HB User

sorry, also meant to add this link:

[url]http://www.lymetreatment.com/AboutLymeDisease.html[/url]

Lyme disease is often referred to as the Great Pretender because the symptoms of Lyme disease can so closely mimic the symptoms of other diseases. Although no official numbers exist on this subject, Lyme patients have been misdiagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, menopause, depression, Alzheimer's disease, and Lou Gehrig's disease. Other patients have failed to receive any kind of definitive diagnosis long after the presentation of symptoms.

Old 01-11-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
(female)

GlowGal HB User

This doesn't sound like ALS to me.

You might want to think about getting your Thyroid checked. Low levels of thyroid hormone can cause a myriad of symptoms including extreme fatigue, muscle and joint aches and pains...basically a general feeling of being unwell.

Good luck!

Old 05-31-2007, 06:10 PM   #7
(male)

Blacklight HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartkick View Post
Beginning a few months ago, I've gotten many strange symptoms that are scaring me to death.
If you only have these symptoms you describe I think you're completely healthy.
Quote:
Here's a list of every symptom I can think of that I have:

-From approximately one year ago, I've had a strange pain in my chest. When I first got it, it was extremely scary but I've gotten used to it. It's a dull pain around the lower half of my left lung.
Maybe the symptom of indigestion. Do you usually eat hard to digest food before this starts?
Quote:
-My throat often gets sore
Do you smoke or have lots of cold drinks?
Quote:
-Almost every major joint and muscle in my body gets very sore.
Probably you don't stretch enough when you exercise (or don't exercise at all).
Quote:
-Additionally my body has become very extremely cracky and snappy lately. Almost every joint is extremely cracky and makes a cracking noise at even the slightest movement.
This is completely normal, many healthy people have cracky joints their entire life. If it started only recently, it might indeed be because of the different weather/humidity.
Quote:
-I don't feel well almost all the time. I feel drowsy often, and am unable to complete an entire day of work without becoming exhausted.
This is worth investigating further, but fresh air or more light in the room where you work/study may help.
Quote:
-When standing up from a sitting position, my back cracks loudly, around where my pelvis is.
-My left hip joint is extremely strange. When I walk, it snaps every step I take, and I can feel something moving inside (tendons? The bursa surrounding the joint? No idea...). This does not hurt, however.
If if doesn't hurt, it's normal.
Quote:
-When I lift my arm up above my head, the tendons in my arm snap loudly sometimes.
-Recently, When I twist my wrist around, I can feel the tendons (I think they're tendons) in my arm making a scraping sensation. This also does not hurt, however there's definately some sort of infection in the tendons there.
Probably not an infection. It might be the first sign of a developing RSI. You should stretch your arms (and generally your whole body) more.
Quote:
-(maybe no connection, maybe just dreaming this one...) In the morning when I wake up, my eyes seem very sensitive to the light. If its a bright day out and I got outside, I can barely see anything for a while..
I have never met anyone who didn't have this "scary" symptom.
Quote:
-Concentration problems
Everybody has them your age
Quote:
-At times nausea, extreme tiredness
If you feel nausea, it might help to eat something light or drink milk. Not eating enough can also lead to tiredness, in case these two occur simultaneously...
Quote:
-Recently the muscles in my face are tingling a bit.. Mainly in the left side.
So do everyone else's.
Quote:
-My tendons also feel tight all over my body. Again, none of this hurts when the cracking happens, but there is a general pain in a lot of my joints.
You should definitely exercise more!
Quote:
-My heart races at times.
-If I put my left hand on my right elbow and twist my right hand around, I can feel the tendons (or something?) twisting around and scraping around inside. This is also pretty scary ----
It's nothing to be scared about.

Quote:
Things I DON'T have:
Any kind of illness or disorder, as far as I can tell
Quote:
I have gone to the doctor maybe 6 times in Canada about my chest, and approximately 7 times in Japan since all of the above symptoms occured.
If doctors didn't find anything with 13(!) visits, it must be simple digestion problems...
Quote:
I intend to go to the doctor again upon returning to Canada (it's expensive in Japan and I'm out of money...).
I think that instead of yet another visit to the doctor you should spend the money on healthier diet and maybe a little workout...

Quote:
Does this sound like ALS to anyone?
No way!

Quote:
The snappy joints are especially strange to me, because I can't find any disease with the symptoms of snappy joints,
It's because snappy joints are perfectly normal.

Old 06-02-2007, 03:28 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

AussieTam HB User

Woah, blacklight, lighten up on this poor guy ... he is obviously feeling unwell, and is worried about it.

It is extremely unlikely this guy has ALS, but like all of us in the medical darkness, he has to consider - then discard - many illnesses before he solves his mystery. Like me - it is unlikely I have ALS, but I hang out in this forum mostly to read about other disorders that people mention that are like ALS that are better fits and worth investigating ...

Old 08-16-2007, 07:42 AM   #9
(male)

Nexis HB User

I had similar symptoms for a while, and thought it was Lupus, and my doctor thought it was Vasculitis...

I had all my antibody test done and something came up positive, so I will continue with the indepth blood test....

Let us know if you are feeling better...

Last edited by Nexis; 03-25-2009 at 04:46 PM.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:15 PM   #10
(female)

kalsmom HB User

Doesn't sound like ALS to me either *my grandma died from this*....lyme would be a possibility from an interview I saw on discovery? What about like fibromyalgia? Don't know?

Old 03-25-2009, 03:44 PM   #11
(male)

mleifer HB User

I have extremely similar symptoms. Did you ever make any progress on diagnosis?

Closed Thread