It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
(female)

breasmommy HB User
Exclamation ALS Symptoms??? Please Help. SCARED!!

About three weeks ago I had a simple cold. A few days after, I started to experience a pain in my left chest that extended into my neck, shoulder, side, below my rib cage and arm. It was sharp and painful yet dull at the same time. Dr assured me that it was a muscle strain. About a week after my cold I began to have other symptoms that started quite suddenly. I felt nauseated, dizzy, lightheaded, and all around week. This persisted for approximately a week and a half. I wasn't able to eat or drink much because of the nausea. About three days into feeling this way I started my period. I began to feel pain and weakness in my thighs and calves. I figured that it was just from my period. It has been 4 days since my period ended as well as the nausea and dizziness and my legs still hurt. I have pain and burning in my thighs just above the knees, especially if I am sitting. My legs still feel weak. My arms have also felt weak while the pain on the one side comes and goes. My hands feel really stiff. My whole body feels kind of stiff and my flexibility is limited. I have also been getting sporadic twitching in my muscles (especially my calves and in my upper legs [front and back]). I don't get just one twitch, it is a series of them that are painless but I definately feel them. I have been under a lot of stress, especially over the past 6 months (which 6 months ago I had a bulging lower lumbar disc that was causing redicular pain down my legs to the point of not being able to walk). I still have stiffness and pain in my lower back in the back of my thighs due to the pressure on the sciatic. I have also been diagnosed with both a panic and anxiety disorder and I know that I worry about things too much. Needless to say that I have been having panic attacks at least 1-2 per day and have been having horrible crying spells. One moment I am happy and the next I am devestatingly sad. A lot of that has to do with the worrying over what might be wrong with me. Having these pains and twitches in my leg muscles as well as the pain in my arm and weakness in all limbs makes me extremely concerned. I am sure that I am over-reacting but I am really worried that this might be ALS. Does this sound like the beginning stages of ALS or is it just my anxiety? I am 29-years-old. I drive for a living so I am sitting 80% of the time. I do not work out or am involved in strenuous activities. There is no one in my family nor do I know anybody that has ALS.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
(male)

tmac58 HB User
Re: ALS Symptoms??? Please Help. SCARED!!

I was diagnosed finally after 1 1/2 years of going thru alot of what you have. I finally went to Scott and White hospital in Temple, TX.,. I had been thru the mill here and no one could find my problem. Good luck, and go have an EMG test done.

Old 02-09-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

HI Breasmommy! Try not to panic okay! I suffer from anxiety/panic and depression too. That doesn't help matters in this situation eithor. Try not to think you have ALS unless someone actully has diagnosed you with that. There are many other things that could be going on. This past November I developed tingling sensations and burning sensations down one leg. My fingers and toes tingled. Lots of weird things happened and I began to panic. I ran to the doctor and had blood work done. For arthritis and anything that may look suspicious. I even thought oh my gosh, do I have MS? Or anything bad like that? Everything came back normal. The doctor thought I had a siatic nerve problem. I am a Massage Therapist and I lean and twist in strange positions. I don't always stand correctly and my body takes quite a beating. Well I went to a physical therapist and for 10 weeks she gave me exercises and massages and heat on the problem. Little by little it was going away and I am doing alot better.

I still have weird things going on but from a different problem. I have sinus problems all the time and have been on and off antibiotics for them. I think I have alot of toxins in me from those. I think that is what is causing my muscle twitches and tingling things that are going on. I have read that they really can be toxic to the system. You may want to check on what kind of meds you have taken. It can show up months and years later. At least thats what I have been hearing from people on this site. You condition doesn't have to be worse case senerio. Alot of us woman just go through hell with our bodies. So many hormone changes. I am going through perimenopause and there are like 40 crazy symptoms with that. I tell people, why don't ya just take me out back and shoot me. ha! Life can just be tough. Just go to as many doctors that you trust and have them check everything out. You will get to the bottom of it. Just take care of yourself and try not to stress. You can always write me! I am a listening ear.
God Bless!
Tammy

Old 04-08-2008, 05:10 PM   #4
(male)

SamRocker HB User

Hi Breasmommy,

I joined this site because a good friend of mine was diagnosed with ALS in January. From reading your post I can tell you're very scared and I understand that. However, I think you should see a doctor immediately and get the proper tests done and find out what's going on before you assume the worst. Many times our body gives us false signs so we really need to check them out prior to making ourselves crazy. The added stress can do only do yourself harm.

keep me posted on the results.

SamRocker in So Cal

Old 04-16-2008, 03:21 AM   #5
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

Hi there- i have been through very similar to how you sound at the mo'...
I have always had panic disorder/ anxiety. 5 years ago things got worse when my daughter started school- awful panic etc...
then one day i noticed my finger was twitching..it didn't stop for days...i started thinking of ALS..became very sad and depressed.. twitching started everywhere- esp in my legs- felt terrible and terrified-( also had nausea, headaches, dizziness, etc etc)
booked myself into a neurologist who put my mind at rest- he said i could go for EMG tests- but i never did.
I started on a low dose of anti-depressant and thankGod slowly felt a bit better and the twitching went away- certainly took a few months tho.
Its so scary and off course the fear just keeps making it worse.....my thoughts are with you and hope you are feeling better very soon

Old 05-04-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
(female)

fit2live HB User

My father passed away from ALS and I distinctly remember the signs for its discovery. His significant other noticed a gait change. And he had no idea. Although in hindsight he did recall experiencing more than usual muscle cramps. That was in hindsight. What you are describing sounds more like too much sugar, rather than ALS.

Closed Thread