It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-21-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
(male)

worried08 HB User
Does it sound anything like ALS?

I'd like to know based on your opinion whether this sounds like ALS, or anything at all besides anxiety. About a month ago my left pinky finger started to tremor. I got extremely worried and researched all of the diseases that it could possibly be. I found ALS and started looking at it excessively, worrying that the slightest twitch I experienced could indicate my diagnosis. The tremor is accompanied by no weakness or atrophy, and it's got a lot better since I first checked it. In the last couple of days however I've noticed that I've been getting lots of twitches all over my body, in places that I have never had before. Again no weakness or atrophy and they dissapear when I move the affected muscle or after about a second. I researched this and it sounded like BFS, or just stress and anxiety. I tried to put it out of my mind and yesterday it was better than the others, but now today there's something more worrying. When I woke up, my left leg felt odd. I could feel my muscle twitching a lot when I had my leg straight like when you're standing. When I sat down and bended my leg the twitching dissapeared. So I realised it mostly only twitches when my leg is straightish or tensed. The location where the spasm happens is just above the knee. There's no artrophy that I can feel or see, it feels the same as the other leg. And there is no weakness as I've been doing everything I did yesterday with no problems. I've even tried comparing it to my right leg by hopping or putting the same force on it and there's no difference. I can't think of a time that I have ever experienced a twitch there before, and if I move my leg the twitching stops untill I rest it again. It's not always there, but it comes and goes. Also I've never had a twitch that's been localised like this, this is the first time I've ever experienced it so that's why I'm a little worried. I'm sorry to all the people out there who are facing this diagnosis when I'm worrying about this little thing, but I can't help it. Please help me. I have no other medical problems besides being slightly hypothyroid.

Last edited by worried08; 05-21-2008 at 09:59 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM   #2
(male)

worried08 HB User
Re: Does it sound anything like ALS?

Now the muscle twitch above my knee has dissapeared still without any weakness but twitches in my toes on each foot have started. Again no weakness, and I am pretty tired and stressed so I can imagine it being one of the reasons it's twitching. Plus I've never experienced it before today, so I doubt it's anything connected.

Old 05-31-2008, 04:03 AM   #3
(male)

mironUK HB User

That's highly unlikely to be onset of ALS. Probably related to the stress or you being hypothyroid... You describe twitches and not fasciculations and there is no atrophy... For a peace of mind try to get an appointment with a neurologist.

All the best

Alex

Old 06-01-2008, 11:14 AM   #4
(female)

reneerenee HB User

From what Ive read, the twitches and fasculations come after muscle weakness and atrophy. As the muscle weakens it starts to twitch and cramp because its "dying" sort of speak. I wish that I could give myself a piece of mind. I twitch all the time and scarred just like you. I had the left and right finger tremor and twitch. And I twitch all over with wierd sensations and sometimes achiness. The symptoms that you and I both desribed are also contributed to anxiety. Google anxiety physical symptoms...it will blow you away what physical symptoms anxiety can cause. But for someone who is a hypochrondriac like myself, it doesnt matter I still think something is wrong. Im so tired of it. But this is what I read and Just like you I need to try and find some piece of mind with this. Sorry for hijacking with my problems. Take care.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

I have had twitches on and off for a year. Some days are worse than others. Then they go away for a week or two and come back. I am under extreme stress. In fear of losing my house, looking for a new job. Times are tough. I am praying its the BFS thing. I had my first test at the neurologist and it was normal. Second one coming up June 10th. We will go through them all to rule out everything. If nothing turns up, I bet its stress. That darn stress! I am a worry wart and a hypocodriate. I am hypothryroid too. For 2 years now. So somethings I haven't imagined. I know that for a fact. But most of us have these from sheer stress I bet. Hang in there all of you!!

Old 06-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #6
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

What is the diff. between twitches and fasciculations? My tongue and legs have been twitching now for 2 weeks!!!What des atrophy look like in the feet?

Old 06-07-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
(male)

worried08 HB User

My toes have continued to twitch and I'm pretty sure they're fasciculations, the whole toe moves for a split second. It's not really got any worse and I can't feel any weakness or atrophy, but I think that my mind is playing tricks on me because I'm so worried. I think it's making me feel some symptoms of weakness and twitching and now every twitch I feel I suspect ALS. How could I tell if I had weakness or atrophy in my toes? Especially when both feet have the same condition. Does ALS actually start in two limbs at the same time? Especially in the legs which I've read is an unusual presentation. Still no arm symptoms so I'm beginning to think that it might be something else. It's been about two weeks now since my first twitch, which is a little worrying considering that it hasn't gone away, but it hasn't got worse either.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
(male)

marky1956 HB User

I feel bad for anyone going thru this scary ordeal of wondering. It's terrifying to say the least. I went thru a bad time several years ago where I was convinved I had ALS. My muscles were twitching non-stop, 24/7. Thumbs, pinky fingers, bicep muscles, calves, etc, etc. I too googled "muscle twitching", which sent me into a panic and terrifying state of depression when "ALS" popped up. As it turned out, I went thru a period of BFS, which literally "millions" of people suffer from. I had neurological tests done for nerve conductivity, which all came back negative. ALS is such a RARE desease (approx 6 out of 100,000 people) that primarily attacks those over 65, that anyone under 50 should try not to let it distrub you (easier said than done).

From what I've researched, ALS presents with weakness in "1" limb only (not different parts of the body). Foot dragging or tripping in 1 leg, or weakness in 1 hand (dropping things or having trouble holding a cup) are initial signs of ALS. As the muscles die (atrophy), they beging to twitch. However, the twitching is NOT like the muscle twitching and jumping like we're experiencing, but very VERY small fascillations beneath the skin (almost looking like tiny worms crawling under the skin). Therefore, if you're experiencing muscle jumping & twitching in several parts of your body, this is NOT ALS.

So I hope this helps ease your mind and gives you some relief. G-oogle "BFS" on the internet and read up. Millions are going thru the same thing we are (did). My muscles have not twitched for over 2 years bow. Good luck and don't worry....it WILL go away.

Mark

Last edited by marky1956; 06-18-2008 at 04:38 PM.

Closed Thread