It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User
Unhappy ALS????tongue twitching

Hi,
Someone PLEASE help.I cant get a neuro appt. for several days,but need some advice!!!I am a 27 year old female.3 years agoI started having a sort of numb deeling in two of my toes,now the top of that foot when rubbed,tingles,and my whole leg has a strange sensation sometimes.I am very prone to twitches,thumb,eye,legs,an now have ALOT in my legs,especially in the one with problems.My REAL concern is over the past month I have had alot of twitching around my face,and a week ago woke up to my tonue twitching!!It has yet to stop,and getting worse.The night before it started,I felt as though I has some slurred speech but that went away.I can move my tongue around just fine,although,it feels like it pulling when I talk.I can see the twitching in the mirror,it does it all day!I have had no physical changes to it.I cant stop thinking about it all day every day because when I googled my symptoms,nothing but ALS came up.Are these common symptoms with the bulbar type,and what else could cause this to be consistant?Also,I have had nno chewing or swallowing probs.
Please,please someone respond!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User
Re: ALS????tongue twitching

Hi Mandy! First of all try not to panic! ok! Twitching happens for many different reasons. The most common reason is benign muscle fasiculations. I was just at the neurologist for this very thing. I have been have twitching going on for almost a year now. It comes and goes. Some days are worse than others. I get them in my face, eyelids, arms legs, stomach, feet.. you name it! Don't panic. Just get your doctor visit scheduled and have your doctor do all the neccessary tests to rule everything else out. I am still going through the testing. Once everything is ruled out, it is benign and most likely STRESS related or a nagging condition you just have to live with. My panicking made them worse. Take a deep breath...you will be ok! Let us know how you are ok!

Last edited by TEdds83; 05-26-2008 at 12:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Thanks for the response!!I am even more scared now,because today I saw teeth marks on both sides of my tongue,its not just a little either,isnt that atrophy?My twitch in my tongue has now also moved to the middle.It is pretty much constant and getting worse.Still no problems moving it,although it does have sort of a pulled feeling.This has been going on for 9 days now,and I am terrified.I have a 2 and 3 year old,they need me!My twitching has also been worse in my feet,legs,and face...Could this be anythig besides ALS??
Please respond!!!

Old 05-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

TEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB UserTEdds83 HB User

Hi again Mandy, are you feeling like you are weak or losing strength muscle wise?? I have been told that is something you would notice first if it was ALS. Please try not to think the worst. You may very well be stressing yourself out and biting your tongue. It would be pretty rare for you to get ALS. Not that many people get that each year. God is looking out for you. He knows you have two little ones. Just make that appointment. I still think you could be stressing. It will only magnify the symptoms. Try to relax. I know how you feel. I do the same thing. It is horrible to live in fear. Try to take deep breaths and think positive thoughts. Get an appointment to relieve your mind.

Old 05-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #5
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Hey again,
This morning I feel some weakness in my toes/foot.It feels almost like a strained muscle without pain.Im going to a regular doctor today.Thanks for talking to me!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Ugh,I cant get an appointment until tomorrow..I am so scared..I dont mean to nag,but my symptoms match ALS almost exactly,I just dont know what to do!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mandy! Hang in there sweetie! You will be ok. It doesn't mean you have that at all ok. There are many other reasons for twitches and weakness. Please try not to worry ok! I am glad you are going to see a doctor tomorrow. It is a starting point. They will get things figured out. Please come back and let me know what you find out. God bless you! Take care!

Old 05-28-2008, 02:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Mandy! I hope you have had your doctor visit today. Please let us know how you are. I had serious muscle twitches this afternoon. My back and arm on my left side just went nuts. I am a massage therapist and I did a couple of massages today and that seemed to really set it off. I still have another neurology visit coming up in 2 weeks for more tests concerning my twitching. It's just crazy. I hope you are doing well.
Tammy

Old 05-28-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Thanks SO much for all your kind words!My main concern is that I have the constant tongue twitch,plus the scalloped tongue!My hand started up today,along with my feet for weeks,and it just wont stop,I am praying with all Ive got this could be something else!You really think wit ALL these exact symptoms it could be something else??

Old 05-29-2008, 02:31 AM   #10
(female)

mary63 HB Usermary63 HB User

hi there- how are you doing??
I so feel for you- i know what it is like to be so scared..
a few years ago i got a twitch in my index finger- i diagnosed als too and once i thought about this the twitching got worse and worse...terrible....i eventually saw a neurologist who helped by calming me down.. then i needed some antidepressants which i think saved my life.
I am wondering if you are really deficient in some minerals... i am sure low magnesium can cause twitching- esp in the tongue. it wouldn't be surprising if you are low in essential vitamins and minerals with 2 littleys keeping you frantic- we are here for you...

Old 05-29-2008, 07:20 AM   #11
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Thanks so much,Im just losing hope with all my symptoms...Plaese pray for me and my family
You guys are so nice here!!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:06 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

HI Ladies! Mandy... did you have your doctor appt yet? Did they run any tests? I know it can take a bit to get them back too. I was just wondering. Mary is right, you may have vitamin or mineral deficiencies. This is how we also caught that I was extremely low on vitamin D and Calcium. I got right on pills for that. The levels came right up. You can get twitchy when those are low. Just have the doc run levels on that too. Hang tough!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Im hoping so,I need a miracle right now being that my symptoms are so classic of ALS,yes I got some bloodwork done,for vitamin def,thyroid probs,etc...The twitches,especially in y tongue are aways there,like every few seconds.Please Please pray for me,thanks again for all you guys support!!

Old 05-29-2008, 12:34 PM   #14
(female)

Mandy4060 HB User

Im hoping so,I need a miracle right now being that my symptoms are so classic of ALS,yes I got some bloodwork done,for vitamin def,thyroid probs,etc...The twitches,especially in y tongue are aways there,like every few seconds.Please Please pray for me,thanks again for all you guys support!!

Old 05-29-2008, 07:00 PM   #15
(female)

coby1957 HB User

Hi Mandy, I lost a sister to ALS and I can tell you that symptoms with the tongue and speech , are in the final stages of the disease. First stage is legs and the ability to walk. No Pain . Then the use of the arms and then speech and swallowing . Finally Heart and or Lung Failure . I really don't think your early symptom of tongue twitching is ALS unless you are in a wheelchair . take vitimins and minerals.

Closed Thread