It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #1
(male)

RussianCarl HB User
Worried - weakness after muscle twitching?

Hello, I am a 24 year old male and I've had some odd problems for about the past year. To begin with, last March I felt an odd sensation in my head and then my left arm and leg went a bit tingly. The week afterward I experienced pain, burning, and vibrations. After an MRI the doctor said I probably had a migraine with prolonged aura. I let it go at that and had some strange pressure-like headaches that lasted from a few hours up to 2 weeks.

After all the doc appointments it seemed to switch to my right side, where after my left side felt perfectly normal my right foot and forearm felt odd. This too faded but it left my toes on that side feeling a bit more stiff.. wouldn't have noticed it otherwise. Since then it has felt a bit heavy but it is not always noticeable.

Fast forward to now... I've been having muscle twitches since the original episode off and on. Figured its been about a year with nothing else so probably BFS... the twitches usually came for a few days and went all over different areas of my body. Then, they were gone and I wouldn't notice them for a few weeks. No problems associated with them until about 2 weeks ago.

It started when I had a twitch that stayed in my left thigh for about 10 hours and left it feeling a bit sore. Then a day later it was in my left arm near the elbow for the same amount of time before going away. No soreness this time and things seemed fine.

Then, a few days after that, I felt twitches below my right shoulder blade and expected it to go away. The first time it only lasted maybe an hour, then the next day it came for longer. There was a day in between with no twitching and it definitely wasn't constant as it came at no particular time of the day. Next day it came back for a few more, and this pattern repeated for several days until the twitches went from being very noticeable until hardly noticeable. For the past 5-6 days there have been no twitches at all.

During all of this i noticed no change in sensation or weakness. Now, though, it feels as if my arm is weaker than my left. It is a different feeling and when trying to lift up weighted objects I can still do it but there is more effort involved. I figured my muscle must be sore from all the twitching but it hasn't improved. My fingers have also all become stiff in the right hand, but I think it might be due to repetitive stress injury.

I have cubital tunnel syndrome that flairs up occasionally but now all the fingers are stiffer to move. I did the quick tests for carpel tunnel and they came back negative so I am now concerned it is something else. There is no real pain, just the feeling of stiffness. I'm an avid computer user and have basically stayed off it for the past week and used my left hand to mouse when I had to do something.

This has me very worried. My right leg has felt heavy at times for the past 6 months or so but hasn't progressed, but now the twitching and this in the shoulder has me very scared... especially after all I went through to be told I "probably" had migraines. My symptoms just don't seem to fit into any one category, and it seemed that BFS wouldn't leave this odd feeling in my arm?

Thanks and sorry this is so long.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
(female)

decodeme HB User
Forgive my ignorance, but what does BFS mean?

You may have something wrong w/your neck, a metabolic imbalance (Calcium/Magnesium), or something neurologically ugly, like MS. You need to see a neurologist, or find a better one. Good luck.

Closed Thread