It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2009, 02:51 PM   #1
(male)

dmg1545 HB User
Scared I have ALS

I am a 30 yo male and have had muscle twitching all over my body for the last week. My paternal grandfather died from ALS back in the 1960's at the age of 49. No other members of my family or extended family have been diagonosed with the ALS. I have a severe health anxiety and I am hoping that is what is causing my twitching. I also tested positive for Lyme's Disease back in 2004 and again three months ago. My PCP took a look at me and said he didn't think I had ALS, but wants me to get an EMG to rule it out. I find myself very nervous about getting this test done and what may come from it. My twitches are fast moving and seem to reduce when I am less stressed out. They are worse when I am in bed before going to sleep. When I excersise they don't bother me at all... Any help or wisdom would be appreciated. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: Scared I have ALS

I was under the impression that Lyme's causes twitching, but I don't really know anything about Lyme's. I do know about health anxiety though. At times it rules my life and leaves me totally debilitated. I twitch all over when it's bad and worrying about the twitches makes them worse. Are you taking any meds? Some anti anxiety meds can cause twitching. Good luck with your test, I'm sure it will be O.K.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2009, 07:23 AM   #3
(male)

dmg1545 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I started 30mg Lexapro on Monday and they seemed to start thereafter. I have been on and off lexapro for a couple years but never at 30mg's. Also I didn't take for 6 weeks before that Monday I took the 30mgs. That was over a week ago...

Old 03-27-2009, 06:37 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User

Check out the side effects of Lexapro. It's unusual to go from nothing to a high dose. My Doc always starts me on a low dose and works up to a higher one. Honestly I've visited so many health anxiety forums and the 3 diseases we all seem to (think) have in common are MS ALS and some form of cancer. I swear every second post is about twitches. I thought I had MS and then decided I had ALS years ago. I was a mess, my Doctor (extremely understanding and patient) explained that the twitching associated with MS and ALS is caused by the muscle dying. He assured me that I would have noticeable weakness in those muscles. I use to do stupid things like jump off a table and land on one leg to test my muscle strength. The thing that finally convinced me that it was caused by my anxiety was when my Mother in law, who knew nothing about my twitching, mentioned her twitching was back after she broke her knee. I questioned her more and she said oh I always twitch when I'm worried about something. She said it drove her nuts when she broke her hip, which was 16 years earlier. I know this is long winded but I really feel for you. I know how bad you feel. I hope I have helped to put your mind at ease.

Closed Thread