It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 12:46 AM   #1
(female)

scaredmomof2 HB User
ALS, BFS, Anxiety, Fibro....help me please!

Hi, I am a 34 year old female. A mom to two small kids (2 and 4 years old). I have been on a physical/emotional rollercoaster for the last three weeks. My initial concern started more than a month ago when I noticed that I was waking up with my arms in an awkward sleeping position. I would wake up and adjust them, only to wake up a few hours later in the same position. (hands twisted up and under my armpits and muscles tight). Then a few weeks ago, I was wringing out some wet bathmats and noticed that the muscles below my thumb were having a really hard time with the ringing motion. After I had rung out the mats those muscles bothered me for a couple of weeks, but seem to be improved now...then about 2 weeks ago, my arms felt very strange. Weak and numb - I found it hard to even carry my purse. This weakness lasted for a couple of days, and then improved. But the next day I had extreme joint pain in my knees and a heavy feeling in my feet and calves. I could barely go up and down stairs. This lasted for two or three days. As soon as the pain in my knees let up I started having severe muscle twitching all over my body. (BFS?) It has not stopped yet, and it is so bad now, that I cannot sleep without taking Robaxacet. I don't notice the twitching during the day, but at night it goes crazy. and the twitching happens everywhere from my shoulders to my toes... I have had roaming pains all over my body from my big toe, to my shoulder to my arms. I cannot sleep, I am overcome with fear that I have a serious disease like ALS. I have two kids who rely on me! Today I had a pretty good day, I almost had myself convinced I was getting better, as all of my muscles felt pretty good and my anxiety level was low. But tonight when I tried to sleep I once again could not because of the twitching and again found myself in the same strange twisted arm sleeping position. I am sick with worry. I don't know what to do next...All my family and friends, and even my family doctor tell me that this is stress induced...but the longer this goes on the more I fear that it could be something else...Could someone help me? I am planning to see a neurologist...but where I am from it could take some time to get in! I need some advice, or something to help me get through the process of getting tests done. Please help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2009, 05:44 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

vh90453 HB User
Re: ALS, BFS, Anxiety, Fibro....help me please!

Sorry to hear of your suffering. I know very little about ALS, only what I've read and what my Doctor has told me. I believe though with ALS when the motor neurons die, that's it, they are dead for good. You say the strength in your muscles returns which would not happen if you had ALS. I do know a bit about anxiety as a sufferer for most of my life, I'm now 56. One of the things that health anxiety sufferers seem to have in common is that at some time they fear they have ALS and MS. I know I did. I can't diagnose you or tell you what you do or don't have but I will give you some advice. Never and I mean never google your symptoms. I know what comes up when you google twitching. I suffer from twitching at times, some days I don't know how I'm going to lift my arms they feel so weak. I have been experiencing this for many years, the twitches and the weakness goes away when I stop worrying about it. Considering this has been going on for many, many years and I'm still here and functioning normally it can't be too serious. I know my symptoms are caused by anxiety, twitching and weakness are only 2 of the long list of symptoms. I don't know if anxiety is the cause of your symptoms but it sure doesn't sound like ALS. I do know that anxiety causes unbelievable suffering, both physically and emotionaly. I hope I have helped you.

Closed Thread