It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
(male)

razorpiggie HB User
Doctor is getting me concerned...

Maybe I'm getting worked up over nothing, but I'm having something go wrong that I've never experienced before..

I'm 34, 6' 3" and weight about 215.

I'm in pretty good shape and have never had any health complications before.
No history of MS or ALS in my family.. No Diabetes, heart complications, etc.. I had gained lot of weight a couple of years ago, getting all the way up to 250 lbs, but I managed to get that back down after about a year. During that time, I was having alot of knee pain and aches to the point where I could barely go up the stairs. After the weight loss, exercise routine, and supplements, the knee pain is almost completely gone.

My cholesterol and blood pressure check out great everytime.. The only med I take is Adderall for ADD and various vitamins and supplements such as multivitamins, calcium, folic acid, fish oil, Glucosamine/Chondroiton, etc... I exercise fairly regularly and maintain a fairly health diet. I hike, walk, lift weights, and LOVE snowboarding. No illegal drugs or smoking. Social drinker.

Not an alcoholic at all, but about 2 weeks ago I went out and had dinner and drinks with some friends. Admittedly, I was having a good time and I had too much to drink... Embarrassed to say it, but I felt very nauseous and basically spent the night sleeping indian style in front of the toilet. Right foot tucked under my left knee I guess... I must have been there for a few hours. When I woke up I walked to the bedroom and my left foot was dragging. I figured that it must have fallen asleep. I woke up a few hours later after laying down and the foot was still dragging and still is two weeks later. It's numb and tingling like I tweaked the Peroneal nerve. There isnt any back pain, leg pain, ankle pain, or anything like that. I didn't fall down and there are no bruises or accidents that happened that could've caused it.

Still, I can't stand on my left heel and it somewhat affects my gait when I walk. I can still move my toes and even run and jog as long as it's on my toes... I have been doing the toe lift exercises on the stairs trying to get some feeling back. It hasn't improved a bit and my doctor seems a bit concerned. He immediately referred me to a neurologist, but they can't get me in for another 2 weeks.

I may be jumping to conclusions and stressing before I know what's going on, but I'm trying to go back and peice together anything that my qualify as a symptom of something greater. I have had pain in my hands every now and then like arthritis, but I always assumed that was from spending all day at work on a keyboard and not typing the correct, ergonomic way. I usually take some Aleve and it goes away quickly. I haven't really had any muscle atrophy or loss of motor skills... No falling down or loss of balance. Occasionally, I get tongue twisted, But I had always attributed that to the Adderall I take for ADD as it doesn't seem to bother me when I don't take the medicine.

The internet seems to do as much good as it does bad... From buying a car to exploring symptoms. Still, the look on the doctor's face has me concerned and the neurologist appointment waiting game is not making things any better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Doctor is getting me concerned...

My mom had ALS and I have MS. She never had numb or tingling feelings with her ALS, only weakness and atrophy. She also had constant twitches that we could see, but she couldn't feel it. With my MS, I get numb and tingly HOWEVER that doesn't mean you have MS. MANY things can cause that ie: pinched nerve, etc... ALS is rare. Don't worry. The stress can trigger more symptoms. Waiting for your appointment won't delay anything. Good luck, I'm sure your ok. PS. I've found myself in some embarrasing situations due to drinking. Most of us have.

Closed Thread