It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2010, 07:44 PM   #1
(female)

shirleymay HB User
my dad

how advanced is als, when it gets to the advanced stage? my father was diagnosed with als 2 days ago. But he has had it for 2 years i need to know how much time he has. Is he in the advance stage? please help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
(female)

SweetPepper HB User
Re: my dad

My best friend was diagnosed about 2 years ago, he also had symptoms for at least 2 years prior to being diagnosed. He is also an alcoholic and unable to take the medication that is available for ALS, unless he quits drinking. He is only 45 years old and has always been a hard worker.
He has recently admitted himself to a detox facility and from there he is in the hospital. He is getting therapy that is helping a lot. I am hoping with his new sobriety that he can begin the medication and that its not too late to begin the meds and receive benefits from the medication.
Each person is different in their diagnosis of ALS and in their longevity with the disease. What are your dads symptoms? Can he walk? Can he carry and lift things? Does he cook or can he eat alright? Those are all things that would help me tell you how far advanced his disease is. There are people that can live 10 years before they start showing significant symptoms and there are others who might pass away months after diagnosis. Attitude plays a great deal into it. Don't let him lay down and quit. Anything he can do, let him and encourage him to try new ways. Patients with this disease worry about things that are so simple for the average person. My friend's biggest fear was, "who will wipe my butt, when I can't do it?" Try to imagine the humiliation of worrying about that. I can't imagine it without tearing up. How old is your dad, how is his health otherwise and what symtoms does he currently have?

Last edited by SweetPepper; 06-20-2010 at 10:46 PM. Reason: Spelling errors

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread