It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-30-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
(male)

rja37 HB User
Newbe here with questions

Hello, this is my first post in this forum so let me introduce myself. I am a 73 year old male with several health issues. Among them are diabetes, spinal stenosis, RSL and heart disease. I had lunbar fusion 5 months ago. I am undergoing testing for ALS because of past (2009) dirty leg EMG and fasciculations than began 6 weeks ago in my legs. At least I noticed them 6 weeks ago. I have no fasciculations below my ankles and they appear randomly in both legs in the thighs and calfs. They range from "thumpers" to very subtle movements under the skin. I have tested strong in the legs by several neurologists and other docs. but I can feel that I have weakness in my legs. I can toe walk and heel walk. I have not been diagnosed with any atrophy at this time. My dirty EMG's are thought to be due to peripheral neuropathy caused by diabetes. My concern is that the fascicutations are pointing to ALS at work too. My question has to do with the sequence of ALS symptoms. Does muscle atrophy appear before the twitches or after?
I am scheduled to have another leg EMG in a month and would like to educate myself as much as I can. Any comments would be most welcome.

Edit: I am invariably better (stronger, more coordinated) in the morning and gett progressively worse during the day into the evening. I sit a lot at the computer during the day.

Last edited by rja37; 07-30-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: addition

Old 07-30-2010, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Newbe here with questions

The majority of folks with ALS have weakness and atrophy prior to muscle fasciculations. However, literature says it is possible to present with fasciculations. My mother had weakness and major weight loss before the fasciculations began.

I'm 38 and have been experiencing constant fasciculations. My EMG came back normal, but I still worry. I have your same concerns. I wish you the best.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-31-2010, 12:14 PM   #3
(male)

rja37 HB User
Re: Newbe here with questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by anxiousme View Post
The majority of folks with ALS have weakness and atrophy prior to muscle fasciculations. However, literature says it is possible to present with fasciculations. My mother had weakness and major weight loss before the fasciculations began.

I'm 38 and have been experiencing constant fasciculations. My EMG came back normal, but I still worry. I have your same concerns. I wish you the best.
Thanks for your reply. I am wondering that in ALS, if the atrophy is caused by the fasciculations or the fasciculations are a result of the atrophy. I haven't read any clarification of that question so far. In cases of people with true ALS, do most people present with wasted muscles before they experience fasciculations or no? I know it is possible to present with fasciculations with out weakness or atrophy but that is BFS (benign fasciculation syndrome) and is not indicative of ALS.
PS: If you have a clean EMG I would not be worrying about ALS.

Closed Thread