It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2010, 08:34 PM   #1
(female)

missmineau HB User
Mom diagnosed with als

Looking back, and knowing then what I know now, it all makes sense. My mom started falling in the fall of 2009. She mentioned it to her doctor and he never really questioned her about it. In January of 2010, she slipped and fell off of some steps and broke her left foot. She continued to fall, with her cast on, and finally ended up having surgery in March of 2010, with the surgeon putting steel plates and pins in. The wound took a very long time to heal, it openned up and got infected, it is starting to finally heal now. While all this was going on she noticed a changed in her arms and hands, she began losing strength and muscles. She mentioned it to her family doctor and he thought it might have been some pills she was on, she has also had 4 heart attacks, and never really seemed concerned. She had also noticed her muscles were starting to twitch more and more. My step father finally brought her to a bigger center (Sept 2010) and demanded answers. The horrible word ALS was given to us after a month of many neuros, many different diagnosis, many tears, and many hopes. I am afraid. I know what the disease does, I know what it has already done to my family. I was quite thrilled to come across this board and read others stories and know we are not alone.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Mom diagnosed with als

I'm sorry your mother and family are having to go through this disease. Welcome to the boards This is a place you can come and people understand what you are dealing with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #3
(female)

Karendg71291 HB User
Re: Mom diagnosed with als

I am very sorry to hear about your mother. My mom was finally diagnosed with ALS in December of 2005, and past away in July 2006. It took the Drs. forever to figure out what was wrong with her. She too, kept falling and hurting herself (first signs), also her speech was affected by the disease at first, then progressively got worse with time. In the end, she was on a feeding tube (G-tube), couldn't talk and had no use of her limbs. She opted not to be put on a ventilator, but to die in peace. Love her everyday and let her know you love her, because once they are gone, its for good .
I took very good care of my mom once diagnosed with the terrible disease. I hope you and your family all the best. If I can answer any questions in any way, please let me know. She was 56 yrs. old when she died. Best of luck to all of you.

Closed Thread