It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

GrdLock02 HB User
Is this symptom typical of ALS?

I see there's a lot of "is it ALS" threads here, but I looked through a lot of them and didn't see anything congruent with what I'm asking, so I'll start another thread.

I developed "foot drop" a month or so ago. I first noticed it while I was jogging, every time my foot would hit the ground, I would feel a tingly sensation going into my big toe on my right foot. A few days later I noticed I couldn't lift my foot at the ankle much. Since then, nothing has changed, so I went to a general practitioner yesterday. They did some blood work, and she referred me to a neurologist which I'm going to see tomorrow.

Now, I'm pretty convinced ALS isn't the issue here, but when I told the doctor I thought it was more of a nerve compression issue, she shrugged that off, and when I told her two of my mom's cousins have ALS, she seemed bothered by that, although she didn't say anything. But from what I've read, 90-95% of cases of ALS have nothing to do with genetics, and people with family members with ALS are typically not at any greater risk than anyone else.

I do get muscle twitches occasionally all over my body, but that's been going on for as long as I can remember, never really seemed to be a problem.... just minor twitches that last a few minutes. I'm 26 now.

It seems to me that since I felt the tingly sensation in my toe every time my foot came in contact with the ground when running, that would lead one to believe it was the nerve getting compressed somewhere, either in my back or knee I'd assume. Doesn't that make sense? Or could ALS cause that same feeling as well?

Obviously I'll know more after I see the neurologist, and although I'm pretty secure with my thoughts that this is nothing serious, there's still that little voice in my head saying "what if". So basically I'd just like a few opinions from anyone who may have experience with this disorder.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Is this symptom typical of ALS?

I'm not an expert on ALS, but seeing a neurologist would be a good start. Foot drop can be a symptom of MANY things. I have MS and foot drop is common. I'm sure foot drop can be an early sign of ALS. Again, it could be many things. If you haven't, start a journal of how you feel, when you start to notice things, if it comes and goes or if it's constant. This will help you remember details...share everything with your doctor. Good Luck with your appointment and keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
GrdLock02 (11-03-2010)
Closed Thread