It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 05:28 AM   #1
(female)

missmineau HB User
Im angry Im sad Im confused

My parents came up to see our house we bought and I was in shock at how much ALS has progressed in my mom. Her arms and hands are very very weak, and she is very rigid when she walks. Three months ago when she was diagnosed, she could get around quite well by herself. It seems to be progressing very fast, not that I have anyone or anything to compare it too. The doctors have told us they figure she has had it for quite some time and its now starting to rear its ugly head. I know not everyone progresses the same, but I was wondering what do I expect next?? Her chewing and swallowing seem to be fine, although when she gets tired, which she does very easy, her speech is slurred. I am angry at the disease, I am scared because I know what the progression and outcome is, and I am confused as to why. I know there are no answers to any of my questions, and I feel as tho, and Im sure everyone else also does, that this is not fair!! I guess I needed a little rant and maybe a little cry. This board has helped a lot for me, knowing there are others going thru what myself and my family are. I have looked into support groups and there are none in the city that I live. They are looking into seeing if anyone with the disease in the area would be willing to speak to me, just for some support. Thank you for letting me have my rant, and take care everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to missmineau:
abbigaill2 (03-16-2011)
Old 12-01-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Im angry Im sad Im confused

This board is great for identifying with people who have been in your shoes. The unfortunate thing about the ALS board is that responses are less frequent than some of the other boards. I have been responding to many post lately because I want everyone to feel heard. I think many people read these post but don't always want to respond.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm sorry for everyone of us that has dealt with this horrible disease. It is so hard on everyone. My mother progressed very rapidly. On one hand, I'm mad that this disease came and took her from me so fast and without any health problems, ever! On the other hand, I'm glad she went fast without years of suffering. I just couldn't bear her state any longer. Every part of her died along with her spirit. It was not like my mom to check out of life, but that is exactly what she did the minute she lost use of her arms and got the diagnosis.

I wish I had all the answers. I have none. I lost my mother almost 1 year ago. All I do is think about where we were 1 year ago. It has been very hard. BUT this is what makes me happy and I know it would make my mom happy, too. I feel compelled to be involved with ALS. I know someday I will devote more of my time to volunteering for the society, hospice, etc. It truly does help me heal and I know it helps to reach out to others that are just as torn apart as yourself. Enjoy everyday. Be thankful you have such a special loved one. Continue to visit the board for comfort and support. No you are not alone!

The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
missmineau (12-01-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
(female)

missmineau HB User

Thank you very much for your response, very appreciated! It helps knowing and hearing from someone who has been through it. So many people dont know what to say, not that what they say makes things any different. I truely appreciate any insight, feedback, anything, someone to understand what it feels like, to know that I am not alone. It sometimes, somehow even feels a bit better just to have a little rant and rave on the board, its kind of a release. I have definately learned to appreciate the little thing, time together, just being together. I am a little disappointed there is not a support group where I am, I have seeked counselling that has been offered thru work, I need to be prepared, well as prepared as one can be. I also feel compelled to be involved, to spread the word, and hopefully to make even a bit of difference. Even being a part of this board has given me comfort. I feel as tho I am already in some ways in the stages of grieving, or maybe its accepting, all I know is that it hurts.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

Rant away!!! It really helps. As I said, I still hurt. My mom was my best friend. I'm very fortunate to of had such a close relationship with her! I can't lie, it's harder now for me then when I was care giving for her. I was physically exhausted taking care of her, but now I'm more emotionally exhausted. I guess I was trying to remain so strong for her. I know she was very worried about me and my family...our future. I tried to ease her mind and let her know that everybody in her family was going to be ok. And we are ok. Time does heal and I know that. It certainly helps to communicate with folks like you that also understand the difficulties. I hope you can find a local support group or a counselor that understands. You're doing the right thing by reaching out. You always have an on-line friend

Old 12-20-2010, 04:44 AM   #5
(female)

martinez27 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmineau View Post
My parents came up to see our house we bought and I was in shock at how much ALS has progressed in my mom. Her arms and hands are very very weak, and she is very rigid when she walks. Three months ago when she was diagnosed, she could get around quite well by herself. It seems to be progressing very fast, not that I have anyone or anything to compare it too. The doctors have told us they figure she has had it for quite some time and its now starting to rear its ugly head. I know not everyone progresses the same, but I was wondering what do I expect next?? Her chewing and swallowing seem to be fine, although when she gets tired, which she does very easy, her speech is slurred. I am angry at the disease, I am scared because I know what the progression and outcome is, and I am confused as to why. I know there are no answers to any of my questions, and I feel as tho, and Im sure everyone else also does, that this is not fair!! I guess I needed a little rant and maybe a little cry. This board has helped a lot for me, knowing there are others going thru what myself and my family are. I have looked into support groups and there are none in the city that I live. They are looking into seeing if anyone with the disease in the area would be willing to speak to me, just for some support. Thank you for letting me have my rant, and take care everyone!
I know what your going.. My mom also has ALS.. You mother sounds like the way my mom going threw the stages.. It going threw pretty fast as well.. Her foot got stiFf then falling cuz she was so weak.. Then she could not get up from a chair..then she could no longer walk.. Turn in bed she lost her balance.. And then she got on a bipap mashine cuz she had a hard time breathing then she got to a point where she could not eat.. Then one day she just could not breath with the bipap so twe took her to the ER and was admitted and now she on a vent.. But no feeding tube thank god for that she eats more she happy she a diff person.. And we had hospice but now we have home health.. Cuz we see improvements on my mom.. The nurse tell us it don't look like AlS but that's what the doctor dng her has having...I will keep ur mother in my prayers I hope I was any help..

Closed Thread