It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2010, 09:33 AM   #1
(male)

motionstorm HB User
Twitching has me beat me up terribly...

Folks, I'm 37 and married with children. I work as a designer and spend much of my waking hours on a computer. Please let me list the events in order and garner your thoughts. To say the least, I CANNOT get over this anxiety and fear brought on by the twitching in my right index finger and thumb.

About 6-7 weeks ago I had cycled on a low-caffine supplement and the day I cycled on it I had my twitch start. I ONLY noticed it when at the computer, when at rest I didn't have it. After about 2-3 days it went away. I didn't notice it again until two weeks ago. I cycled off supplement and the next day my index finger and thumb began to twitch and it has done so since. It seems to be positional, primarily when I'm working on mouse or holding a book when my hand is doing activity... when at rest there is no twitch.

These supplements additionally brought on a tight throat that is affected by stress and anxiety and for inquiring minds NO I will not touch them anymore.

I have had a little pang of pain here and there along my wrist and in the pads of my hands but those only come after I've scrutinized that twitching hand like crazy. I've seen a neurologist who said that he could assure me that I didn't have ALS, parkinsons or MS. He told me and my wife that he thought it was BFS or essential tremor. Surprisingly enough my sister, 2 years younger, told me that years ago she had same fingers affected by tremors that went away after a few months... she had been diagnosed with essential tremor.
I've been to an ER with a bloody bad panic attack about this, they said they were fairly certain that anxiety has led me to the ALS conclusion and my family doc, who I finally saw yesterday, thinks it might be a touch of CPS and he would like me to get a Nerve Conductivity test.

My only thought there is that it might read weird because a few weeks ago I crushed my ring finger in a lightweight garage door and that digit still is swollen and has nerve pains of its own...

The twitching bothers me again, only when doing activity primarily at the computer or when I have it in a certain strange position. I almost feel the need to twitch or like I'm going to have a twitch when my hand is in a certain position.

I have not had any weakness, which I think I've read comes first and then twitching as the muscles break down as waste away. While the twitching remains it is incredibly hard to get a grip on reality here. Does this sound unlike ALS? Any comments to lift me up and assure me would be great but also common-sense and candidness. Thanks so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to motionstorm:
sjb (12-03-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to motionstorm For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-03-2010)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-03-2010, 12:15 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Twitching has me beat me up terribly...

Hi there you have my deepest sympathies. If I were you I would avoid coffee, black and green tea and chocolate and any other thing known to have caffeine in it. Exercise has been said to help purify blood as well as water. Proper amounts of salt should be watched if the amount is low it makes muscles act incorrectly or too high problems can occur also. Thank-you very much for telling us what happened to you.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Twitching has me beat me up terribly...

Muscle twitching does not come and go with ALS. It is constant. I have MS, just this year (June) I went to my neurologist for muscle twitching in my calf AND my toes are moving side to side. The muscle twitching has disappeared but the toe moving has not. I was certain that it was ALS, because my mother has just passed away from ALS. I saw her twitching (it was constant BTW). My neuro gave me a EMG and said no way ALS. It's just benign fasciculations.

Anxiety will make things worse. This does not sound like ALS.

The following user gives a hug of support to anxiousme:
sjb (12-04-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
sjb (12-04-2010)
Closed Thread