It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #1
(male)

bocareefguy HB User
Twitching, Possibly Atrophy - Please Help

I'm 34 yr/old male. Seem healthy otherwise. No family history of any serious illness (though my grandmother did die of some sort of dimensia when she was in her upper 70s.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed BOTH my leg muscles twitching non-stop - mostly in the calves and feet, but also in the thighs. I occasionally feel twitches in both arms, but not nearly as frequent. I was on vacation and we had just driven 700 miles in a car to get there. My legs felt a little wobbly, but no objective weakness that I could tell. I went for a few runs while on vacation (but AFTER I noticed the twitching). It started to freak me out. But I read about BFS and felt a little calmer, though the anxiety was still bothering me and I had numerous panic attacks. The twitching has not stopped at all since I noticed it.

I saw a Neuro this past week. She scheduled an EMG and did some blood work (still waiting on results). She told me that these symptoms are not the way ALS comes on and she would be "shocked" if it was ALS, but cannot rule it out yet. She did strength tests, etc and all seemed normal.

I did notice that I may have a nerve problem in my lower back. When I bend over to touch my toes (to stretch) my legs get tingly and start to fall asleep. I also have a constant dull ache that radiates from my upper thighs down to my feet. The ache almost feels like a "weakness." It is usually worse when I sit, and sometimes is worse on one side or the other, though I usually feel it more on my left leg.

I did a full leg workout (squats, press, calf raises, etc) the other day and felt fine. I haven't seemed to loss any strength - which was encouraging.

HOWEVER, this morning, I noticed my left foot was hurting. Upon examining it, I noticed a little dent (possibly atrophy???) in the inside about an inch or two below the big toe (just at the front of the arch). Is there even muscle there? Can it be atrophying? I still seem to have normal strength there. But it's twitching like crazy. I'm trying to calm myself down and think maybe I hurt it and it's just contracting. When I flex the foot down, the dent "fills up" like I'm flexing a muscle. I had my son pull on both big toes and he could not tell a difference between the two.

Just scared. Have a wife and 4 kids. I know that ALS doesn't usually cause twitching to start on both legs at the same time and there appears to be no atrophy on either legs (just maybe part of my foot?). But something is going on. I'm hoping it's just a pinched nerve but I have a tendency to assume the worst. Can a pinched nerve cause all these symptoms???

Any advice or opinions or just encouragement is greatly appreciated. My heart truly goes out to anyone that has ALS. It is a dreadful disease. I will definitely donate to ALS research after this, regardless of the diagnosis.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Twitching, Possibly Atrophy - Please Help

First, I just want to let you know I'm hoping for great results and wishing you the best.

Second, in MY opinion this doesn't sound like the onset of ALS. Anything is possible and not the same for everyone, but you would notice loss of strength, or tripping, balance problems, etc. Twitching starts after the muscle atrophy, not always but usually. Remember this is a pretty rare disease and even more rare to start in an unusual pattern. I hope this helps calm you down. Anxiety makes it worse.

If it helps, I've had twitching in my left foot since June of last year. My EMG was clear. Nothing else has developed and I STILL have twitching ALL the time.

Good Luck, let us know your results....it will help others.

The following user gives a hug of support to anxiousme:
rayswife (03-27-2011)
The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
rayswife (03-27-2011)
Old 01-31-2011, 05:13 AM   #3
(male)

bocareefguy HB User
Re: Twitching, Possibly Atrophy - Please Help

Thanks for your encouragement. I am trying not to be anxious and continually tell myself not to panic. I know these are not the usual trends of ALS. For some reason my mind tends to assume the worst (don't we all???). The twitching did come on strong on both legs at the same time, so that's a good sign I suppose. Also, I've been having aches in my legs and feet and some cramping as well, which I do not believe are normal signs of ALS. AND my legs go to sleep or get tingly when I sit in certain positions, which all leads me to think this is either a nerve or blood circulation problem. I guess only time will tell.

No matter what happens I am trying to remain strong and remember its in God's hands. If he brought me to it, he'll bring me through it.

Thank you again for your reply. I hope all stays well with your foot. I would assume that after that much time w/o strength loss, you know its not ALS.

The following user gives a hug of support to bocareefguy:
rayswife (03-27-2011)
Closed Thread