It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
(female)

abbigaill2 HB User
Rapid heart rate

My husband was diagnosed with ALS Dec 2010 He has gone from self sufficiency to being fed, lifted, and repositioned, in this short time. In other words total care. He also has diabetes and stage 2 kidney disease. His pulse rate for the last 2 weeks has been 101 to 104. BP 148/93. respirations 18. All of this while resting. His left foot is swollen and turns purple and cold to touch but pedal pulses are present. Is this normal for ALS. The Doctor said it might be part of his diabetes. I wonder if it is part of not moving much or possibly Congestive heart Failure. This disease is awful. feedback appreciated. Thanks

Old 03-19-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User
Re: Rapid heart rate

I don't have an answer for you. I just wanted to say I'm sorry that your husband and you are going through this. My mom's ALS progressed fast, too. I'm actually thankful for that...I hated seeing her suffer. I'm sure not being able to move effects circulation...can't be good for diabetes. The heart rate may be a response to the body working harder to circulate the blood. I hope you both can find comfort.

The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
abbigaill2 (03-20-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2011, 10:11 AM   #3
(female)

abbigaill2 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. I understand what you are saying about being thankful this is moving quickly. My heart wants my husband to live for ever. My head wants him to not suffer. He talks in his sleep a lot and last night very clearly he said, " NO MORE". I am so sorry for the loss of your mother to this dreaded disease.

His blood sugars have been fairly good through all of this. Shortness of breath could be causing the rapid heart rate I have learned. It is nice to no someone out there is listening. So even if you didn't have an answer thank you for responding.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

anxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB Useranxiousme HB User

You're right...It is nice to know someone else is out there that is going through a similar horrible thing. You are also right about the shallow breathing causing a rapid heart rate. I forgot to mention that. I feel for all individuals with ALS. I can't imagine being in their shoes...I would be shouting NO MORE too! I pray for you and your family. Hang in there....make sure you take care of you. It's so easy to forget that part

The Following User Says Thank You to anxiousme For This Useful Post:
abbigaill2 (03-22-2011)
Closed Thread