It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
(female)

LozAli HB User
How quickly do symptoms progress?

Hi all I was just hoping to throw some questions out there regarding the symptoms of als. 1. With the 'muscle twitching' what is the nature of the twitches? Are they constant flickers? Do they come and go or are they constant? Or are they more like single muscle jerks or jolts here and there? And 2. How quickly would you expect symptoms to progress? If one were having symptoms over a year ago, would they be the same now as they were then or would you expect them to have progressed by now? Thankyou for any clarificaiton you can offer?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
(female)

Jenny1267 HB UserJenny1267 HB UserJenny1267 HB User
Re: How quickly do symptoms progress?

Hello-
the twitches my husband had were small and under the surface of the skin.. like looking at ripples.. it was not like a "whole muscle" movement.. like jerks when falling asleep. People progress at different rates...but there is progression...sometimes it is very slow.. and accompanied by loss of muscle.. and weakness. The first three years were "normal"...the last 18 months were steady loss. I am sorry I cannot give you more information. My thoughts are with you.. no matter what you are dealing with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
(female)

TreeB HB User

My mother passed May 23rd 2012 and was diagnosed Feb 28 2012 but we can see symptoms as far back as 2010. She had a fall and broke her foot and then we really noticed problems with difficulty walking. She seemed to have some pain in the beginning but as symptoms progressed the pain and discomfort faded. Her twitches were minor and barely noticeable. She was hospitalized June of 2011 because she woke up and could not walk. After a week she regained strength and came home but used a walker from that day on until she was unable to get out of bed. Everyone progresses with this disease differently. She went down very fast and major weight loss played a big role in it. She weighed 52 pounds at her death and her normal weight was around 110-115. In June 2011 when she was in the hospital her weight was 98 pounds so she lost over 45 pounds in 8 months.

Old 08-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #4
(male)

ksufw HB User

Really the progress of this disease is different between one person to another.
When my father was diagnosed, doctor gave us 6 months.
We almost changed our life and plans according to this expectation.
2.5 years passed and he is still with us, thanks GOD.
I advise every person living this nightmare to spend every day without thinking a lot of the far future and try to maintain as much as he can.
I know it affects your energy, and maybe your life style or plans but life sometimes does not give you choice.
I wish you strength and patience…

Reply Reply