HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis-als/)
-   -   ALS - Last Phase (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/amyotrophic-lateral-sclerosis-als/939939-als-last-phase.html)

ksufw 02-20-2013 05:43 AM

ALS - Last Phase

Dear All, My father is suffering with ALS from 3 Yrs. He is now on respirator and fully paralyzed. He is not able to sleep more than 3 hours /day. Doctors are not giving a hope and told us to wait and see.
When he went out from the hospital (Tracheo), he faced 2 infections (Pneumonia and urinary).
Now he is better, trying to adapat. He is a veryyy brave Man.
Can someone tell me what we expect in the near future ?
Anyone faced or facing this case ?
I appreciate your help.

Chase452 03-05-2013 09:36 PM

Re: ALS - Last Phase

ALS is so varied and so different for each person
My father passed away from ALS October 31,2012
He had been fighting the disease for 2 years and was not compleetly paralized but he was begining not to be able to walk any longer. The morning he passed he took a shower with the help of a nurse, got dressed and sitting in his chair. He had compleet resperatory failure that morning and just drifted off to sleep. My dad had a feeding tube and was on oxygen and had a bi-pap for nightime. Up until the week of his passing he was walking rather well with the aid of a walker.
This disease is horrible and robs the person of the very basics of life, walking, talking, eating...
Like I said to begin I can't tell you what to expect but things can happen fast with this disease. They say that when the doctor puts you on Oxygen your time is short. My dad did have some pre-existing conditions but when he was diagnosed he had been a strong man. He was a fireman when I was growing up. He was so brave dealing with it and trying to keep a good humour through it all.
I wish you and your family all the best and you will be in my thoughts.

ksufw 03-07-2013 11:51 PM

Thank you Chase452 for your support and I am really sorry about your father.
The disease is really horrible and very difficult for the patient and his family :(
Thank you again

Jenny1267 05-16-2013 07:49 PM

The day my husband passed away was similar to what Chase described. In fact he was walking up stairs (14 of them) three days before he died. It happened very quickly. He was confused, so I took him to the ER and he died there 4 hours later. He battled the disease for 5 years, and was 45 when he died. He too was very brave. I wish I had more definitive answers for you, but the course of the disease varies with each person. A couple of weeks before he died his ankles and feet started swelling... so I kept them elevated to help fight that.. and he did not want to eat much. he was still very lucid until that last night. I am sorry you have to go through all of this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.