It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
(male)

alphanevada HB User
Am I being paranoid

I'm 25 and for the last year, I have had a morbid fear that I will die from motor neurone disease. I have heard of people who are extremely fit are the most likely to get motor neurone disease particularly under the age of 55. I wouldn't constitute an hour of exercise as excessive exercise,but I'm not unhealthy.
I also had a head injury a few years ago after being hit in the head with a hockey stick playing field hockey although I didn't get concussion. I also used to play rugby up until I was 18.

This fear has resulted in conflict with memebers of my family, friends and girlfriend. I am moving into a new house with a mate, after spending ages trying to find a house that is nowhere near mast towers or farms. I have turned the wifi off at night out of fear this could affect it. I don't even eat chinese food now because of the MSG in it.

Moreover I am going on a 36 mile walk over 3 days in a few days time and I'm scared that this could affect me in later life because I walked on a strained calf.

Is there anything in what I have said that could be a risk to getting ALS? Or have I gone to the "bad place". I have never been seriously ill except for a mild cold a couple of times a year.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

voulezvous HB User
Talking Re: Am I being paranoid

i'm a bit like that at times, but the point is your'e letting that fear ruin your life! you're assuming you're going to get it and that it's affecting you have you read any out of date articles or scaremongering ant this or this websites? they're not helping matters. the main cause is environmental factors. my advice is to stop worrying and live your life!! and besides just because some fit people get doesn't mean that all fit people will! maybe you have gone to a bad place!

Last edited by voulezvous; 06-29-2014 at 10:41 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
(female)

nononsense HB User
Re: Am I being paranoid

Please, see some one about your obsessive fears. I used to do fear the same as you, many years ago, and it was a lot of wasted time. I had a fear of M.S for years, then a fear of ALS. The doctors told me that is far fetched, these fears have never come true. Get help and start enjoying your life.

Closed Thread