It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board

Is my Iron labs Ok?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-05-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
ratbagg
(male)

ratbagg HB User
Is my Iron labs Ok?

Hi I'm a female 60 yrs old, post meno of course and my MD has me taking 25mg iron 3 times per week. I recently had this Iron panel done and was wondering what your opinions were. I live in Canada.

Iron Serum 15 (5.83-34.5)umol/L
UIBC 47 (24.2-70.1)umol/L
TIBC 62 (31.2-96.1)umol/L
% Saturation 0.24 (0.12-0.41)F of T
Ferritin 433.5 (13-150)ug/L

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-06-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
wnorm
(female)

wnorm HB User
Re: Is my Iron labs Ok?

Your serum Ferritin is quite high. Your other parameters seem OK. Has your doctor suggested adjusting (titrating) your iron dosage after this last blood test result. I am 64. Prior to menopause, my serum ferritin was 18. I had a lot of ovarian cyst related issues. I would recheck the iron panel every 2 weeks and then titrate the supplement dosage. This eventially stabilized. Recently, my serum ferritin dropped to 22 after multiple colorectal and orthopedic surgeries. By the time it was addressed I had lost about 50% of my hair. My whole ironpanel was wacked out. I am taking Feramax, a powdered iron/polysaccharide product. It ws recommended by my pharmacist. I live in Montreal, Quebec and find I get the best advice from the pharmacyst. My GP is not helpfull. I just had colorectal surgery on Aug 3. I discussed the serun ferritin value, now 116, and was told to continue supplementing for at least another 6 months.I am taking a dose equivalent to 60 mg of elemental iron once daily.By the way, this advice was from my anaesthesiologist. What province are you in? If it's Quebec, good luck. I had to basically "doctor"an old blood test requisition, bring it to the test centre, then try to obtain a copy of the results, ask my GP for a prescription for iron (which he wouldn't give me),
get the advice of the pharmacist, and then retest the iron panel. What an ordeal.
Don't allow your ferritin to get too high. It could cause thyroid issues, etc.

Old 08-08-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
ratbagg
(male)

ratbagg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnorm View Post
Your serum Ferritin is quite high. Your other parameters seem OK. Has your doctor suggested adjusting (titrating) your iron dosage after this last blood test result. I am 64. Prior to menopause, my serum ferritin was 18. I had a lot of ovarian cyst related issues. I would recheck the iron panel every 2 weeks and then titrate the supplement dosage. This eventially stabilized. Recently, my serum ferritin dropped to 22 after multiple colorectal and orthopedic surgeries. By the time it was addressed I had lost about 50% of my hair. My whole ironpanel was wacked out. I am taking Feramax, a powdered iron/polysaccharide product. It ws recommended by my pharmacist. I live in Montreal, Quebec and find I get the best advice from the pharmacyst. My GP is not helpfull. I just had colorectal surgery on Aug 3. I discussed the serun ferritin value, now 116, and was told to continue supplementing for at least another 6 months.I am taking a dose equivalent to 60 mg of elemental iron once daily.By the way, this advice was from my anaesthesiologist. What province are you in? If it's Quebec, good luck. I had to basically "doctor"an old blood test requisition, bring it to the test centre, then try to obtain a copy of the results, ask my GP for a prescription for iron (which he wouldn't give me),
get the advice of the pharmacist, and then retest the iron panel. What an ordeal.
Don't allow your ferritin to get too high. It could cause thyroid issues, etc.
Thanks wnorn,

I'm in Montreal too. I pay a private lab for my Iron panel. My problem is that I'm totally hypothyroid. If your iron is too low or too high your thyroid doesn't work. To get my ferritin down I'll have to donate blood probably a few times to get it into range. My MD's completely ignore this too. My husband is the opposite he has ferritin at the bottom of range and he is hypothyroid as well. So he suffers low iron symptoms and hypothyroidism as well.

Old 08-12-2017, 06:26 AM   #4
wnorm
(female)

wnorm HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbagg View Post
Thanks wnorn,

I'm in Montreal too. I pay a private lab for my Iron panel. My problem is that I'm totally hypothyroid. If your iron is too low or too high your thyroid doesn't work. To get my ferritin down I'll have to donate blood probably a few times to get it into range. My MD's completely ignore this too. My husband is the opposite he has ferritin at the bottom of range and he is hypothyroid as well. So he suffers low iron symptoms and hypothyroidism as well.

Sorry I took so long to respond. I thought a lot about your question.Since we are both in medical limbo in Quebec, I guess we will have to play doctor or move to Ontario. I'm still upset that I had to undergo years of absolute exhaustion, hair loss, etc. until I bit the bullet and submitted my own ersatz blood test request.
Tell me, why can't you take your blood test prescription to a hospital instead of privately? Some hospitals are quicker than others to do the tests.Mount Sinai Hospital is great. You just have to call 4eception and book your appointment. Theyare usually ~ 7:30 - 9:30 am Mon -Fri. Just check first.Then you can just contact your gp for the results. Why are you still taking iron? I don't understand.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:07 AM   #5
ratbagg
(male)

ratbagg HB User

Quote:
Sorry I took so long to respond. I thought a lot about your question.Since we are both in medical limbo in Quebec, I guess we will have to play doctor or move to Ontario. I'm still upset that I had to undergo years of absolute exhaustion, hair loss, etc. until I bit the bullet and submitted my own ersatz blood test request.
Tell me, why can't you take your blood test prescription to a hospital instead of privately? Some hospitals are quicker than others to do the tests.Mount Sinai Hospital is great. You just have to call 4eception and book your appointment. Theyare usually ~ 7:30 - 9:30 am Mon -Fri. Just check first.Then you can just contact your gp for the results. Why are you still taking iron? I don't understand.
In Quebec only hematologists can Rx a complete Iron Panel. My endocrinologist gave me a blood requisition Rx for all the tests he wanted including a full iron panel. The results returned only had ferritin in it. None of the hospitals will do it... they only do ferritin. (The government mandates this to save $$ for unnecessary labs and this change happened about 3 years ago) So to get the full iron panel you have to go privately and pay for it. Which is what I did. Or go see a hematologist. (they are by referral only)

I am not taking iron any longer... although my Endo still suggests I do. My endo want to see higher Serum Iron and higher % saturation. But super high ferritin like I have isn't healthy and it stops your thyroid from working. Donating blood brings down your ferritin level substantially. I gave blood yesterday and will do it again in early October and then get another Iron panel and see how it looks and hopefully by then I should be feeling better as my thyroid should have started working again. One step at a time. It's crazy that our primary care physicians do not know this.

Last edited by ratbagg; 08-12-2017 at 08:08 AM.

Old 08-12-2017, 09:28 AM   #6
wnorm
(female)

wnorm HB User

Wow I didn't know that.I did a blood test with iron panel requested by my internist.I will soon find out if the complete panel was done. This was done at the MGH along with other blood test while at my pre-op appointment. I will keep you posted Some to whether it was complete. Boy, there sure is a lot I don't know about.Good luck.
I'm presently trying to get proper post op instructions as to which activities I should avoid after my colorectal rectal surgery.My post op appointment is on a month.There is no one at the MGH or the Glen to ask.Do you know which category in this forum I should check?

Old 08-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #7
ratbagg
(male)

ratbagg HB User

Quote:
Wow I didn't know that.I did a blood test with iron panel requested by my internist.I will soon find out if the complete panel was done. This was done at the MGH along with other blood test while at my pre-op appointment. I will keep you posted Some to whether it was complete. Boy, there sure is a lot I don't know about.Good luck.
I'm presently trying to get proper post op instructions as to which activities I should avoid after my colorectal rectal surgery.My post op appointment is on a month.There is no one at the MGH or the Glen to ask.Do you know which category in this forum I should check?
Do you mean polyp removal from your intestines?

Old 08-12-2017, 06:14 PM   #8
wnorm
(female)

wnorm HB User
Unhappy Re: Is my Iron labs Ok?

Not polyp, its post-op. I had a rectal prolapse repair with a partial sigmoidectomy on Aug 3. On Feb6/2017, I had a subtotal colectomy with ileosigmoid anastomosis. I laymen's terms, there's only a small intestine and 9cm of sigmoid left. The rest must be in a pathology lab for first year med students.

Reply Reply