It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2003, 06:39 PM   #1

shellbell1282 HB User
Unhappy dizzy/unstable feeling- please help

Ive been dealing with panic attacks.anxiety for a few years now (Im 21 yrs old ) and Im on ativan currently for anxiety. During my "attacks" alot of times I would feel as thoguh I was going to pass out. However recently this feeling has been happening alot more often and its different. I feel dizzy alot, when Im walking around. The worst is after Ive been sitting for along time or laying down, and after a minute or so of standing I feel as though Im gonig to fall. Its hard to explain but head feels very heavy and I feel like Im gonna colapse straight down. Sometimes it feels as though the floor is moving up and down alittle. I used to get that when I would come off an elevator but now it happens when Im just standing or walking. Its very scary. Does anyone know what this could be? Aside from anxiety, I also supposedly have slight asthma which I take an inhaler for. I cant breathe properly through my nose becasue I broke it a year ago and when it healed one of my nasal passages was blocked. Im also slightly anemic. Alot of times the unstable/dizzy feeling is worse during my menstrual cycle. Any help as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated. My doctor never seemed to be concerned but I havent told her how its gotten worse yet.

Old 12-18-2003, 06:48 PM   #2

melshannon HB User
Re: dizzy/unstable feeling- please help

Shellbell,
Is your blood pressure normal!? This doesn't sound good and your doctor shouldn't ignore your feelings!!!!
It sounds to me that it is more than just a panic attack. I would talk to your doctor again and if he or she doesn't listen, I would find another doctor that would! You are loosing blood during your menstral cycle and getting even more dizzier at that time.....something has to be relative! Good Luck. I hope you get to feeling better. I will pray that your panic attacks will stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You should always listen to your body and if it saying somethings wrong, then definitely check it out.

Last edited by melshannon; 12-18-2003 at 06:49 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2004, 08:30 PM   #3

monday HB User

Hi.
I have similar problems. I know my dizziness etc. is partially from the anemia because it has gotten better with treatment and comes back more when I get my period. My anemia was considered mild by the doctors but it made me weak dizzy and tired big time. It is under control now but I still would like to get the ferritin levels up higher. As for the lying down and getting dizzy when standing. I have that also and although I haven't figured out what mine is from yet you may want to do a search under "Orthostatic Hypotension". It can have something to do with medication.I know some depression meds do that. I'm not sure about anit-anxiety. It can have something to do with blood pressure. Also make sure your not Hypoglycemic. Hypo can also csaue panic in a "crashing' state. I used to suddenly get very tired, nervous, and start to feel extermely faint, like someone unplugged my body and it was just shutting off. Then I would feel like I was starving. In my worst crashes I felt severe panic. After I would eat something, it would go away in a few minutes. You also crave sweets a lot. You might not be hypo but it's worth looking into it. I suffered from attacks like that for over a year before someone told me what it was.
Sue

would caI would still like to see if I can can my blood levels up a little higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell1282
Ive been dealing with panic attacks.anxiety for a few years now (Im 21 yrs old ) and Im on ativan currently for anxiety. During my "attacks" alot of times I would feel as thoguh I was going to pass out. However recently this feeling has been happening alot more often and its different. I feel dizzy alot, when Im walking around. The worst is after Ive been sitting for along time or laying down, and after a minute or so of standing I feel as though Im gonig to fall. Its hard to explain but head feels very heavy and I feel like Im gonna colapse straight down. Sometimes it feels as though the floor is moving up and down alittle. I used to get that when I would come off an elevator but now it happens when Im just standing or walking. Its very scary. Does anyone know what this could be? Aside from anxiety, I also supposedly have slight asthma which I take an inhaler for. I cant breathe properly through my nose becasue I broke it a year ago and when it healed one of my nasal passages was blocked. Im also slightly anemic. Alot of times the unstable/dizzy feeling is worse during my menstrual cycle. Any help as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated. My doctor never seemed to be concerned but I havent told her how its gotten worse yet.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:36 AM   #4

willsmom HB User

Hi,

Just a thought but you could check over on the inner ear thread - that bouncy floor feeling etc is very common when you ahve a vestibular problem as are your other symptoms. I myself feel that way too and lightheaded.

I have also been very anemic earlier this year due to surgery (I lost 3 pints) and did not have a transfusion. I have NEVER known such intense tiredness, dizzyness, I felt horrendous and weak and also faint too. But I also get faint feelings with the vestibular disorder too which is pretty common. As for potential blood pressure problems your GP could check yours and do it again when you are standing and the standing after a few minutes.

As regards the anemia make sure you are taking your iron supplement to make up your levels.

Good Luck.

Old 01-06-2004, 06:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by willsmom
Hi,

Just a thought but you could check over on the inner ear thread - that bouncy floor feeling etc is very common when you ahve a vestibular problem as are your other symptoms. I myself feel that way too and lightheaded.

I have also been very anemic earlier this year due to surgery (I lost 3 pints) and did not have a transfusion. I have NEVER known such intense tiredness, dizzyness, I felt horrendous and weak and also faint too. But I also get faint feelings with the vestibular disorder too which is pretty common. As for potential blood pressure problems your GP could check yours and do it again when you are standing and the standing after a few minutes.

As regards the anemia make sure you are taking your iron supplement to make up your levels.

Good Luck.
All these symptoms and suggestions are accurate. However, the term mild anemia is diagnostic, not descriptive. Profound anemia is a hemoglobin under 7 with the hematocrit and other factors off as well. Mild anemia is with the hemoglobin off (out of range, but not detrimental to the heart at this point) Mild anemia is supposed to be treated before it turns into profound anemia and begins to affect heart rate, circulation and major organ function. Get your CBC and a peripheral blood smear done.

Old 01-13-2004, 05:41 PM   #6

annabella44 HB User

I had the same promblems. I know how hard it is to try and explain that dizzy fuzzy feeling, get your blood pressure and stuff checked that could be it, i still dont know what caused mine but taking prenatal vitamins has help with the lightheadedness, no energy and everything, but i'm still on the iron too....wouldn't suggest the prenatal vitamins for guys though <wink>

Old 01-20-2004, 07:54 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Re: dizzy/unstable feeling -

There is a type of anemia, hemolytic anemia, that is cause from a chemical in many cleaning and degreaser products used extensively in the USA over the last 50 years; part of the symptoms, per YAHOO definition is

These are symptoms of hemolytic anemia
Chills
Fatigue
Pale color
Shortness of breath
Rapid heart rate
Yellow skin color (jaundice)
Dark urine (indicative of blood in urine - never dismiss this! Stop exposure immediately!)
Enlarged spleen

AND, then it targets the kidneys and liver and there is
Central Nervous System damage showing up sometimes as
Loose your temper easily?
Short term memory loss
Difficulty concentrating
Personality changes to 'grumpy' - Extreme Irritability
All the time Depression
Suicidal Tendencies

I have had people share about a dizziness and collapsing and as soon as they are given oxygen, they are ok.

The chemical is 2-butoxyethanol and it is also called ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. I personally believe that doctors don't recognize it as the primary source of harm, but many, many times treat the secondary problems related to endocrine disruption and the above ... I group it together into what has come to be known as 'gulf war syndrome' because, actually, I think our military is particularly harmed by it; these chemicals have been identified by the Govt as solvents troops were exposed to in gulf war; (& most likely today, too) but they don't know how harmful it is. It is in paint, varnishes, automotive products, cleaners and degreasers in general.

To find more info search on the internet. Just put in 2-butoxyethanol and the pages go on and on and on. When you see MSDS that stands for material safety data sheet. You have to memorize the warning signs, because they are in many every day cleaning products, and the chemical is not named, only the warnings given.

It is the red blood cells that are damaged. Ask for the Retic ratio and ask for a lab tech to comment on the red blood cells. And realize 2-butoxyethanol causes:

Narcosis
Damage to the kidney
Damage to the liver
Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Erythropenia
Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Reticulocytosis
Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Granulocytosis
Present an abnormal blood picture showing: Leukocytosis
Likely to Cause Fragility of Erythrocytes
Likely to Cause Hematuria
Causes Central Nervous System (CNS) DEPRESSION
Loss of taste
Headaches and Stupor. Causes skin irritation.
Causes severe eye irritation - damage to tissue possible
Irritating to mucous membranes and upper respiratory tract

Last edited by Dear Maggie; 01-20-2004 at 08:03 AM.

Old 01-26-2004, 11:21 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

hanelo4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellbell1282

Hi Shelly,

Please check out the Panic Disorder Board here. You will find alot of helpful information and some symptoms of panic/anxiety attacks. I suffer from panic/anxiety and I was also on ativan. One of the side effects of that drug is dizzyness. Most benzo's make you dizzy. A panic attack can also cause dizzyness. I had all of what you mentioned in your post. The walls would move just like you said and the doctor though I had vertigo. I was on all different kinds of medicines and also had withdrawals from getting off and on medicines. They finally figured out it was my panic attacks causing all of this and put me on medication to help. I now take Lexapro 10mg and Klonopin which is like ativan, but longer lasting and less addictive.

Come by and read some of the post, I'm sure it will help you feel much better

Sincerely,
Chantel

Old 01-27-2004, 04:41 PM   #9

tropicali HB User

Hi,
I was very anemic for awhile before I started taking iron supplements and the exact same thing happened to me... When I stood up, I got the same feeling, and sometimes, everything would fade to black for about a second. It could just be from anemia. My symptoms have improved now that my iron levels are more normal. Hope that helped a little! Feel better~

Closed Thread