It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2002, 01:33 AM   #1

Kealoha HB User
Post How do you know if you might have Anemia? What are the symptoms?

I've been trying to figure this out for awhile. My mother is semi-anemic, and she was telling me that I probably am too. I already do have low blood pressure and allergies as well, so everything mixes up and I can't tell. Sometimes I feel like really really tired even if it was a day of doing nothing. And sometimes if I excercise I get real dizzy and the lights seem overly bright. Or if I don't eat for awhile, I get dizzy. Anyway I have no idea what the symptoms and stuff are, so if anyone could help me out, that'd be awesome. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2002, 08:12 AM   #2

love2sing HB User
Smile

I was diagnosed with anaemia this morning and will be having more blood tests! and the only symptoms I really had were tiredness and a slight palour of the skin.I thought nothing about it but then went to give blood and was sent away as i apparantly had a way too low haemoglobin count (see a few msgs below this.) Probably the only sure way is to have a blood test. Don't be afraid to mention your symptoms to your doctor, who'd more than likely be happy to test your blood for anaemia.Good luck, Katherine

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2002, 09:02 PM   #3

Mom-2-three HB User
Kealoh,
I recently lost 40 pounds and have cut way back on eating red meat. I decided since I am 40 to have a physical. Much to my surprise, my bloodwork came back that I am anemic! The dr. put me on 325 mg of iron 3 times per day! I had no symptoms whatsoever! Does this not make sense or what? Just go have a physical and they can determine if you are anemic. Iron is also over the counter and not a prescription which is good. However, it can make you extremely constipated so you need a stool softener as well. What a pain getting old is! Good luck!

Mom-2-three

Old 07-03-2002, 10:50 PM   #4

Kealoha HB User
I just went in a got a physical ummm two days ago, for some college papers I had to get filled out. I didn't have to pee in a cup, I didn't get any blood work or anything drawn. Literally the whole thing was like...5 mins. I jumped on a scale, got my height measured, got my blood pressure taken, ummm eyes, ears, heart, lungs, got poked in the stomach area, my spine checked, and got a meningitis vaccine. That's all, basically took 5 mins of exam and like 45 mins of waiting around, so I wouldn't know if anything is wrong with me. All I found out is that one of my shoulders is slightly higher than the other...whoo...lol, I already knew that. So yeah I wouldn't know...

Old 07-14-2002, 05:32 AM   #5

rika HB User
I was very tired and dizzy. Achy and I had trouble sleeping.. I had trouble sleeping but I WAS tired and just wanted to lay around all day.

Old 07-22-2002, 02:45 PM   #6

tc128 HB User
The hemoglobin count in a normal health person should be around 140. Mine is at 105.

My symptoms include being tired alot. I can fall asleep just about anywhere, just about anytime. I was told that I should not expect to be a world class athlete (lol!!!) I find that taking a multivitamin helps with the afternoon sleepies.

I also have the thalessemia recessive gene, another, yet serious form of anemia, that if both parents have this gene, there is a 25% chance the offspring could have Thalessemia.

Old 07-22-2002, 02:48 PM   #7

tc128 HB User
Oh, and one other thing, after reading some of the replies, I too also get dizzy when I get up from the ground. I can feel the ground moving and I can just about fall back down to the ground. That could also be a symptom of low blood pressure, but I check mine regularly and it appears normal.

I generally don't have trouble sleeping at night. TC

Old 07-28-2002, 10:31 PM   #8
Inactive

Kopoli HB User
I can fall asleep anytime anywhere as well, TC.. hehe. I'm slightly anemic, with light sensitivity, pale skin, underweight, dizzy when I don't eat, etc.. I really don't see it as a big problem because I've been this way all my life and feel pretty healthy otherwise. Just make sure to eat throughout the day and don't stay out in the sun for long periods of time.

Closed Thread