It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2004, 09:39 PM   #1
(male)

artlan HB User
Iron, Ferritin Levels...A few questions!

Hello

I am currently suffering from a hair loss, due to the fact that I was supplementing with Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) for my acne. I took doses ranging from 4 grams - 6 grams. I read on the Acne board, that supplementing with too much Vitamin B5, can cause Iron Deficiency.

I am 18 years old, and I got my blood work a month ago, if it's not a big problem, can you guys look over at the results and tell me if they are normal for my age?

Iron Level: 11.6 umol/L Ranges: [8.8-32.4 umol/L]

Ferritin Level: 68 ug/L Ranges: [18-300 ugl/L]

Vitamin B12: 497 pmol/L Ranges: [150-860 pmol/L]

Once again, I am 18 years old, and I am wondering if these results are low for my age?

They seem to be towards the bottom of the ranges, which I am not sure if that's good enough.

Thanks a lot!

Old 01-15-2004, 05:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: Iron, Ferritin Levels...A few questions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by artlan
Hello

I am currently suffering from a hair loss, due to the fact that I was supplementing with Vitamin B5 (Pantothenic acid) for my acne. I took doses ranging from 4 grams - 6 grams. I read on the Acne board, that supplementing with too much Vitamin B5, can cause Iron Deficiency.

I am 18 years old, and I got my blood work a month ago, if it's not a big problem, can you guys look over at the results and tell me if they are normal for my age?

Iron Level: 11.6 umol/L Ranges: [8.8-32.4 umol/L]

Ferritin Level: 68 ug/L Ranges: [18-300 ugl/L]

[e.

Once again, I am 18 years old, and I am wondering if these results are low for my age?

They seem to be towards the bottom of the ranges, which I am not sure if that's good enough.

Thanks a lot!

Your iron level is out of range the average range is 12-16 depending on whether you are male or female. Female range is usually 12-14 premenopause. The other values are in range. The ranges are what are normal. However, one can be below average or above average and still be in a normal range for them. The ranges are based on a tri-level system of people who have been tested. The average range is based on about 96% of the population.I might add that some ranges do fluctuate between ethnic groups. African Americans can actually show lower blood counts and still be considered with in a normal range. There are other ethnic groups that also have slightly different ranges having to do with lifestyles and nutritional differences. Remember that you also have a personal norm and that when a doctor is looking for disease, they are looking for what is abnormal for you and not anyone else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2004, 05:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
Your iron level is out of range the average range is 12-16 depending on whether you are male or female. Female range is usually 12-14 premenopause. The other values are in range. The ranges are what are normal. However, one can be below average or above average and still be in a normal range for them. The ranges are based on a tri-level system of people who have been tested. The average range is based on about 96% of the population.I might add that some ranges do fluctuate between ethnic groups. African Americans can actually show lower blood counts and still be considered with in a normal range. There are other ethnic groups that also have slightly different ranges having to do with lifestyles and nutritional differences. Remember that you also have a personal norm and that when a doctor is looking for disease, they are looking for what is abnormal for you and not anyone else.
I went back to read the values range on the hemeglobin and that is a different scale than is used by USA labs. So the iron is still kind of low but within range as well. If you are not experiencing any symptoms of disease, then you are still doing ok.

Old 01-15-2004, 06:08 AM   #4
(male)

artlan HB User

Thanks for the reply Marimac.

You mentioned some very interesting points in your response.

While I am not a female and not an African American, I still think my Iron Levels are a tad too low. Some side-effects that I am currently experimenting include:

Pale
Hair loss
loss of Libido

Perhaps I should supplement with Iron? if so what dose?

Thanks again!

Closed Thread