It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2003, 09:49 PM   #1

bluecab HB User
Post How much Iron is safe at one time?

I have been taking one Feosol tablet (65 mg.) once a day for three months. I am hypothyroid now after thyroid surgery to remove a toxic nodule last month. I also have fibroids and have had heavy bleeding that coincided with my hyperthyroid state; it's slowed down slightly, but I'm spotting every day now.

My iron level was 21 last summer and 32 as of the beginning of this year. My endo wants me to increase my iron intake to 3 pills a day. The challenge is to fit it in with my other pills. I take my thyroid hormon in the morning, Calcium/Magnesium in the aft. and Iron in the evening. I also take Singulair (pill) in the evening.

Is it safe to take 195 mg. of iron at one sitting? My endo said yes, but I'm not sure. I'm looking around for a liquid Feosol supplement but I have not found it. better absorption, probably.

Does anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks-

Bluecab

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2003, 05:54 PM   #2

SLY2003 HB User
Wink

The name of a liquid iron vitamin is: Ferrous Sulfate Elixir. Ferrous sulfate 220 mg (equivelent to 44 mg iron). This is an Iron Supplement. Contains Alcohol 5% v/v. This is an OTC vitamin and it is in a brown bottle with a blue and white label. Sold in 1 pint size.
Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2003, 11:14 AM   #3

just_kat HB User
If your endo says it's ok it must be. I used to take iron 3 times a day and forget to take some all the time ... my doc prescribed me a pill that I could take once a day and get the same benefits... last year my levels were at 4 this year they are at 16 ... woo hoo ... goodluck

Old 02-16-2003, 11:45 PM   #4
Veteran

DenverGal HB User
My Dr. prescribed Feosol 324mg tablets to be taken three times a day. Needless to say it made me very sick to my stomach (nauseated and vomity) and I was unable to eat much of anything. I cut myself down to one tablet a day but on some days I feel to queesy to take even that. I don't think there is a problem with "overdosing", but you need to see how much your body can tolerate. Good luck.

Closed Thread