It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2003, 02:36 PM   #1

GRACIE2422 HB User
Post FEELING WORSE AFTER B12 SHOT

Hello I'm new to the board. I wasn't feeling all that great so I scheduled a physical mainly to have my thyroid checked (I have Hasimoto's disease). My blood work came back showing that I had anemia due to low B12. The doctor then gave me a shot and set up shots once a week for 6 weeks. By that evening I was much more tired then usual. Within 4 days my body ached so bad it hurt to move. I was drained of everything and began having trouble breathing (all the case symptoms)but they increased in days. I returned to the doctor and I was told "that shouldn't happen" & "I don't know" he then gave me the nasal gel to try. When I did try it within 4 hours I started shaking and sweating and feeling very ill. It happened twice. I stopped taking it. I'm at a loss. My doctor brushed it off as if I was insane to have that type of reaction to a vitamin. I have made an appointment to see a hematologist. Does anyone have any advice to give me on what to ask or do? I'm afraid something else is really wrong.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 04:53 PM   #2

Julie-K HB User
Smile

Hi Gracie
Can relate to some of your problems, after the first injection I came home and thought I was going to die! My bones felt like they were burning and for 3 days I felt like I was in for the worse dose of flu ever!
Told doctor and he said some people react badly the first few times. The second one was worse, above symptoms plus hives and swollen glands, I thought I was allergic, We tried again (he insisted I sit in his surgery for an hour afterward in case it was an allergy, and wasn't allowed to go home alone!) wasn't so bad. I am now on the 6th injection (and now have to have them monthly for the rest of my life-Addisons anemia) and the reaction is down to about half of the initial injection
I feel so much better physically that I can sort of cope with the idea of feeling rotten for 3 days out of a month and hopefully the symptoms will eventually disappear.
So I guess what I am trying to say is you aren't alone in what you went through. If you don't have an intrinsic factor problem maybe you could try pills?
Take care
Jules

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-27-2003, 09:35 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I can relate with that, it took a good 3 months to settle down, I now give myself an injection every 2 weeks and have been for 10 years. You can react negatively even with vitamins, you'll be able to take it without much trouble in no time.

Old 05-27-2003, 09:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
I can relate with that, it took a good 3 months to settle down, I now give myself an injection every 2 weeks and have been for 10 years. You can react negatively even with vitamins, you'll be able to take it without much trouble in no time.

Old 05-30-2003, 01:05 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Hi, i had a shot 2 years ago and will never again!! I got the worst bout of acne ever, all round my neck and chin it lasted a couple of months, I think I must have been allergic or something as I rarely get more than the odd pimple.

Old 06-30-2003, 03:36 PM   #6

aspina77 HB User
Hi Gracie,

After reading your entry it seems as though getting b-12 shots is a lot of trouble. May I suggest an easier way, and cheaper to obtain well above the recommended daily allowance of B-12. In speaking with a friend on how to increase my B-12 levels, he turned me on to an energy drink called XS. It has 0 Carbs, 0 Sugar and just 8 calories while giving you 4900% B-12 vitamins amonst other doses of vital B vitamins. This product is given to diabetics as well as cancer patients at Sloan Kettering so I just thought I'd bring this to your attention as it might help you out and save you some money. Let me know if you'd like to find out how to get some and I will accomodate you. Thanks.

------------------
AJS

Old 07-01-2003, 08:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
If you have B12 def do to the lack of intrinsic factor no amount of vit is going to help, liquids or tablet as the stomach does not produce the enszyme needed to absorb that vit. You must get B12 some other way than through the stomach. Sublingual tabs help people who are just a bit low and have intrinsic factor, otherwise injections still are the best route to the tissues where is is most needed when level is so low.

Closed Thread