It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2003, 05:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Post Acne side effect to b12

Just wondering if anyone taking injections or on supplements get any acne breakouts. I had an injection a few years ago as I was low and my level went from 120 -600 it brought me out in acne around my neck and chin. I am now low again and have been taking a supplement for a month and have started to break out again. I am not prone to acne. Anyone have similar experience. Doctors dont seem concerned and have not heard of this reaction.

Old 07-09-2003, 04:03 PM   #2

concerned?? HB User
1.5 yrs ago it was found that I was low in B12 also; so I began my injections. 2 wks later I broke out in a rash and blamed it on a hair product. But for that yr my face kept breakingout in acne...and Iwas never prone to it before. I stoppped the B12 injections over the last 4 mths and my face has finally began to clear up! But I had to go for a B12 shot again today as I am down to 100 and will be getting these weekly for awhile again. So I will be keepinga close watch over my face to see if this acne reappears! AGH it is vrey frustrating because I am not given any explanation as why I keep getting low in B12 and they tell me that acne has no relation to it either...but I disagree.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2003, 04:05 PM   #3

sueadams HB User
Smile

Hi Cinderella
I think most doctors know very little about B12 or its affects, I know after I was diagnosed and had a bad reaction to the injection my doctor did some reading about it on the internet and rang my endocrinologist to find out more. I got most of my information from the net and other people with the same disorder. The first couple of injections I had made me feel quite ill, my doctor wasn't aware that people could be sensitive and tried to laugh it off until I broke out in hives after every injection! After talking to a few people about it I sort of settled myself to the idea that the first 5 injections were the worst and after that most people start to feel better (and their skin clears up etc)Hopefully the pills won't cause you such a rotten reaction as the injection did.
Have you had an intrinsic factor test? I read your post on your diet and it didn't seem so bad, so I would be a bit worried about your absorption. If you have had an intrinsic factor test and it was normal I would start taking a multi-vitamin daily with B12 included in it to try and keep your level up so as to avoid another B12 'crash'.
I hope you are feeling MUCH better soon
All the best!

Old 07-15-2003, 05:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CINDERELLA HB User
Thanks for your posts. I had the Intrinsic test and they said it was normal. I stopped taking my b12 100mcg and my pimples stopped so I started taking it again and the pimples started. I will now wait until they die down and just take a low dose of 2-10mcg. I feel my level has been met and my body doesnt tolerate a big supply? I am due for more blood work so that will be interesting to see what level I am on.

Closed Thread