It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2003, 10:20 AM   #1

kellie256100 HB User
Red face How long does IV Infusion last

I had an IV iron infusion 2 weeks ago, I started feeling better about a week ago, but yesterday and today I feel like my old worn out self. Is this normal? I had such hopes this would make me feel better!

Old 07-16-2003, 10:57 AM   #2

amwood HB User
I've had 3 infusions so far, and the first two lasted for a few weeks and then things started going back down again - just before I had the third one my hemoglobin was back to the low point it was at before. It's been two weeks since the third and so far things seem to be going good. My hematologist told me that the amound of time the infusions last depends on each person. Factors such as how much blood you're losing and how fast you're losing it play a big part. I was also told that it takes around 6 weeks for your body to replace red blood cells, so unfortunately it's a long process. Have they identified the cause of your anemia? They haven't with me yet, and I was told that they don't know how long the infusions will last, and I have to keep having my labwork checked frequently to stay on top of it. Once they figure things out, they can give a more precise answer...hopefully they know what's causing this for you. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by amwood (edited 07-16-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2003, 12:28 PM   #3

QuietStorm4000 HB User
Talking

Like above--everyBODY is different! I've had one infusion of Infed to which I reacted badly and three rounds (set of 8 IVs) of Ferrlecit in the last 2 1/2 years and I've managed to misplace ALL of it! I lost the last bunch WHILE they were giving it to me! I feel like the Tinman and expect to suddenly rust solid one of these days. I envision myself shooting off the back of the treadmill at the gym and having somebody prop me again the chest press until my hubby can come and PICK me up!! I'm back to a Ferritin level of 3 so it's only a matter of time before I become anemic again. My hematologist checks my levels every 6-8 weeks and if they're low he'll force me into the backroom and tie me up. BUT, like I said in another post, it's just a pain in the arm. When you're the only one in the office NOT getting chemo it puts everything else instantly into perspective!

Old 07-16-2003, 05:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

dorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB Userdorri HB User
I was also told it takes 6 weeks for your body to replace red blood cells. I have to agree with the other posts on what the anemia is caused from. If it's nutritional anemia then I can see it lasting longer, but if it's from internal bleeding then it stands to reason that it wouldn't last that long. I have to go for an infusion on Tuesday. The one question I do have is, does this treatment in any way cause your body to become dependant on it? In other words after treatment wears off, is your body capable of producing it's own red blood cells or does it require more infusions. Just curious! Good luck on your levels being built up.

Old 07-17-2003, 04:15 AM   #5

QuietStorm4000 HB User
Thumbs up

To the above--no, your body won't become dependant on the iron in the way you are thinking. It's like the missing ingredient in the recipe for making red blood cells. For whatever reaason you (and those of us here) must be out of it. I can't seem to absorb and store enough of it on my own hence the infusions. My dr.s have yet to discover the reason for that. IV iron is usually a last resort for those who have failed to respond to iron pills, dietary changes, etc. If you've not had it before the nurses will keep a close eye on you to make sure you tolerate it well. Have you read the other posts about IV iron?

Closed Thread