It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2003, 01:57 PM   #1

eyesofblue HB User
Post Procrit for Anemia

I have become very anemic due to a combo therapy of medications that I take for Hepatitis C.

Does anyone take procrit for their anemia problem and if so, has taking the procrit helped to rid the anemia? If not taking the procrit injections, is there something else that works also?

All replys and comments welcome. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-21-2003, 06:42 AM   #2

QuietStorm4000 HB User
Talking

That all depends on the type of anemia one has. There are a lot of different reasons for anemia. I frequently suffer from anemia due to a wicked issue with iron deficiency. No iron = no new red blood cells. Procrit wouldn't help with that. I get periodic IV infusions of iron which bring my iron stores up and allow my body to manufacture an adequate blood supply. I don't have a problem making the blood if all of the ingredients are present.
I know Procrit is used extensively for patients with cancer as their body's ability to manufacture blood is hampered by the strong medications they must take.
Athletes also use a form of it illegally to boost their Hgl levels thereby increasing their body's oxygen supply to the muscles during competition.
Procrit is also very expensive and insurance companies can get pretty testy about covering it's cost!
This doesn't exactly answer your question. Why not ask your doctor, the nurses or your pharmacist for other conditions in which Procrit is given?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2003, 06:19 PM   #3
(female)

99 stang HB User
Procrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesofblue
I have become very anemic due to a combo therapy of medications that I take for Hepatitis C.

Does anyone take procrit for their anemia problem and if so, has taking the procrit helped to rid the anemia? If not taking the procrit injections, is there something else that works also?

All replys and comments welcome. Thanks.
The hemotologist that I have been seeing in the last 2 months just started giving me procrit thank god the insurance co. okayed it. Haven't really started to notice a difference in any of my systoms but they say it takes at least 4 wks before it kicks in? When I have my levels checked last week I stayed the same 9.1 ?

Closed Thread