It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-31-2003, 07:29 AM   #1

StacieLee2000 HB User
Post anemia

Hello everyone,
I just wanted to know if anyone out there could let me know if you are experiencing some of the same symptoms which I am having. I was recently diagnosed with anemia. Some of my symptoms are: pain in the joints, feeling weak across my shoulders, pains in the neck, headaches which last for a moment and then are gone, waking up to legs and arms which have also fallen asleep, feeling mentally sluggish or in a fog. And if you were diagnosed with anemia, how long did it take before you felt like you again? Or if these symptoms sound like something else, please let me know. Thanks for your help.
Stacie

[This message has been edited by StacieLee2000 (edited 08-31-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-31-2003, 01:11 PM   #2

SleepyD HB User
Hi Stacie:
I also experienced much of the same symptoms that you are going through. It started off with just fatigue and then the symptoms began to increase. I had aches in my legs, brittle/dry hair, which was falling out, headaches, faint feelings, loss of concentration, and brittle nails. Hopefully you are taking your iron. I have been on iron for just about 4 months and am finally above level. My doctor ran a check up blood test, which showed I am still on the lower end of the normal range.... It does take some time and patience. Just remember to take your iron and eat meats and veggies...Keep me posted
-Denise

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2003, 06:39 PM   #3

sheisherself HB User
Hello Sleepy 0,

I have the dry brittle, premature gray and falling out hair. Have you noticed any difference in your hair improving? How about with the shortness of breathe?

The following user gives a hug of support to sheisherself:
wad talb (11-01-2011)
Old 01-23-2004, 07:49 PM   #4
(female)

sunny6 HB User
Re: anemia

Hi Gals,

I seem to have similar symptoms, although, I have iron def, not full blown anemia. I, additionally notice vertical ridges on my nails which I read can also be a sign of iron def. How are you ladies doing? It is so hard to be patient, isn't it?
In my case, I also have very tender feet, which I think may be due to the oxygen not being delivered to the distal cell points of my body.
If you see this note, I'll hope you'll let us know how you are doing...and I sure hope you are feeling better!

Sunny

Old 01-27-2004, 05:51 PM   #5

tropicali HB User

I had all the classic symptoms... tiredness (fatigue), pale skin, rapid/irregular heartbeat, trouble concentrating, weight loss... my hair even started to fall out and get really brittle... my nails broke way too easily... I had headaches all the time and ringing in my ears... I was always dizzy/lightheaded... I took iron for 6 months before I began to feel normal again. Now, I have been off of the iron for about 6 months... and I'm feeling tired and "off" again... :-\ Anemia sucks!!!! But, it takes time to get over... just be patient and stick to taking your iron. It helps, even though it might not be fun to take (I got really constipated and had a sore stomach all the time...)... Just hang in there, it gets better!

Old 01-27-2004, 06:58 PM   #6
(female)

sunny6 HB User

Hi Tropicali,

Glad to hear that you are feeling better, overall. It took you 6 months to feel better, WOW, that must have been tough to wait and keep on believing. If your symptoms are starting to reappear, does that mean that it's time for another blood test and perhaps see where the blood loss is occuring? If you are female, I think it's a good chance that its from menstrual bleeds, in my humble opinion. Perhaps, if necessary, a brief renewal of iron will rebalance things again.
Thanks for writing and continue to feel well.
Sunny

Last edited by sunny6; 01-28-2004 at 06:50 AM.

Old 01-31-2004, 07:28 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
You seem to be describing 'gulf war syndrome' symptoms

Check for fragility of red blood cells

These symptoms of Hemolytic anemia:
  • Chills
  • Fatigue
  • Pale color
  • Shortness of breath
  • Rapid heart rate
  • Yellow skin color (jaundice)
  • Dark urine (indicative of blood in urine/kidney effects?)
  • Enlarged spleen

Many products we use at home and at work for cleaning and degreasing; in painting, etc ... for automotive and hobbies, too ... contain a very harmful, though thought to be 'safe,' chemical: 2-butoxyethanol; however, you would most likely recognize it's other name: ethylene glycol monobutyl ether. Lysol tub 'n tile for instance has the 2(2-butoxythanol) version. It has an EPA pesticide registration ... & it is recommended for industrial use only and suggested that this chemical be avoided. Look it up on the internet; look up 409 cleaner while you're at it.

To find the effects of this chemical, doctors would have to order the complete blood counts and a special test that costs about $50: the 'Retic ratio' and especially ask the lab tech to comment on the red blood cells! Do they look ragged and 'beat up?'

Here are other symptoms of too much exposure to a solvent-type chemical ... Symptoms (most common first) include: headache, sore throat, voice change or loss, constant humph, catarrh, unexpected tiredness, fatigue, sore/watery/gritty eyes, irritability, anxiety, depression, loss of concentration, short-term memory loss, reactions to other chemicals, dizziness, blocked nose, rhinitis, mouth ulcers, bad/metallic taste in mouth, lip sores, chest tightness, shortness of breath, chest pains, asthma, sinusitis, nasal discharge, nose bleeds, ulceration of nasal mucosa, itchy burning skin, rashes, dermatitis, aching joints and muscles, fibromyalgia, uncontrollable twitching, heart arrhythmia's, palpitations, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhea, tinnitus, earache, pins and needles, numbness in fingers and toes, Raynaudís Syndrome, menstrual irregularities, pain/difficulty urinating. Other areas of concern include liver damage, cancer, teeth and gum problems, reproductive effects and lack of interest in sex.

The Gulf War vets of 1990-1991 have much of this. They were exposed to these 2 solvents; but this is one of the things that HAS NOT BEEN STUDIED. I personally believe it IS the cause of gulf war syndrome. I personally believe our troops TODAY are at risk for a recurrence. What are they doing that would expose them? Repetitive cleaning of weapons is not safe without goggles and chemical retardant gloves (CLP MSDS says there is a proprietary ingredient hmm); there are these in pesticides which were sprayed around the living and working area of troops (real echelon soldiers had 'gulf war syndrome' whereas a front-line soldier reported none for his group); and jet fuels #3,4,5,6 are labeled as pesticides ... with warnings of 'defatted skin' such as would go along with what this chemical does. How long have jets had a 'jet trail' by the way?

This chemical also targets the testes. As long as this chemical has been around, since 1930's or so ... sperm count as been steadily declining and the quality of sperm, too; at the current rate, in another 50-70 years, men will mostly have zero sperm count.

One day, our people will realize that many whom they love and lost to premature death ... may be from the primary harm of this chemical, instead of all the multiple secondary harm it does... and our people will arise and BAN it.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:44 PM   #8

fairchild HB User

I had anemia from a heavy menstrual flow. I used to get white spots on my face during the summer time and then it would go away during the winter time. My doctor really didn't help me out, all he told me to do was to take more vitamins. Anyways, that was a long time but my question is..if you have a heavy menstrual period..could you get rid of the anemia?

Old 03-24-2004, 10:17 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
If only loss of blood ... not so bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild
I had anemia from a heavy menstrual flow. My question is..if you have a heavy menstrual period..could you get rid of the anemia?
If your anemia is from this, I would thank my lucky stars as it is most definitely temporary, and not like you have damaged blood or something.

Old 05-13-2004, 12:48 AM   #10

nervousone HB User

Okay. That did it. I have posted my "issues" on the little bump on the inside of my mouth, the strange lump I just found today - which led me to this forum, my horrible problem with IBS, and now the anemia, which I always knew I had. I am 40. It's time for me to accept the fact I'm not 24 and my body is getting OLD...it's wearing down.

A couple of weeks ago, after binging on Pepsi and chips and then deciding to make breakfast somewhere about 4am because I was actually hungry, I managed to end up feeling like I was going to faint, along with sour stomach and the potential gagging of throwing up. What happened? I fainted and fell off the toilet. I've been fatigued, short of breath (even tho I have stopped smoking), I get frequent headaches aside from PMS, my skin is dry and has been seeming leathery instead of soft and supple, I've had bouts with hair falling out but nothing erratic or unusually excessive, if I stand up too fast I get dizzy and light headed, my nails are breaking off because they're brittle again and complete with the ridges-lines, my legs go to sleep more often...I have crossed that line into "old age" - at least my body has, because soon as I hit 40, all these little ailments crept up (except for the IBS problem which happened after my last child 6 years ago).

I've read about 20 threads tonight. I am going down to the kitchen right now to take one of every vitamin I own (and never take), and will spend the rest of this night drinking water till I can float back upstairs. I do not want to be decrepit at 40.

This thread did it for me. I am changing my ways! Good luck to all of you with the anemia. I've suffered from this since I was 16 years old but never let my body get the best of me...and by god I won't start now!

Take care...I wish each of you major "recovery" from all that ails you. Sincerely!

Old 06-14-2004, 07:22 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Do some of you guys realize that the symptoms your talking about can be lupus connected.

Old 06-14-2004, 08:43 PM   #12

tropicali HB User

I used to take minocycline and I've heard of it causing lupus... but I was tested awhile back for lupus and my ana test came back normal... plus, I don't have the malar rush on my nose and cheeks (the butterfly rash). Isn't that an important symptom? What else do you know? I'd like info.

Old 06-14-2004, 09:05 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User

Right now im being suspected of having lupus by my family doctor.The only symptom i have is testing ANA positive.I have no other symptoms but i tested ANA positive twice.What im trying to say is that a ANA negative test is not a definitive test to determine wether one has lupus or not.Before a diagnosis of lupus is made you usually have to fit at least 4 criteria for it .Let me see if i can remember some of what the doctor said.Do you have any joint pain,knees ,knuckles,back pain?Any problems with bending in the joints?Any sun sensitivety,any fevers low grade kind?Extreme or prolonged fatigue?Skin rashes not necessarily on your face.How bout anemia,mouth or nose ulcers,hairloss?Arthritis.Theres not one test that can give a definitive diagnosis of lupus.Its a difficult disease to pin down because the symptoms can be indicative of other diseases.I hope this helps.

Old 06-21-2004, 12:35 PM   #14

fairchild HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nervousone
Okay. That did it. I have posted my "issues" on the little bump on the inside of my mouth, the strange lump I just found today - which led me to this forum, my horrible problem with IBS, and now the anemia, which I always knew I had. I am 40. It's time for me to accept the fact I'm not 24 and my body is getting OLD...it's wearing down.

A couple of weeks ago, after binging on Pepsi and chips and then deciding to make breakfast somewhere about 4am because I was actually hungry, I managed to end up feeling like I was going to faint, along with sour stomach and the potential gagging of throwing up. What happened? I fainted and fell off the toilet. I've been fatigued, short of breath (even tho I have stopped smoking), I get frequent headaches aside from PMS, my skin is dry and has been seeming leathery instead of soft and supple, I've had bouts with hair falling out but nothing erratic or unusually excessive, if I stand up too fast I get dizzy and light headed, my nails are breaking off because they're brittle again and complete with the ridges-lines, my legs go to sleep more often...I have crossed that line into "old age" - at least my body has, because soon as I hit 40, all these little ailments crept up (except for the IBS problem which happened after my last child 6 years ago).

I've read about 20 threads tonight. I am going down to the kitchen right now to take one of every vitamin I own (and never take), and will spend the rest of this night drinking water till I can float back upstairs. I do not want to be decrepit at 40.

This thread did it for me. I am changing my ways! Good luck to all of you with the anemia. I've suffered from this since I was 16 years old but never let my body get the best of me...and by god I won't start now!

Take care...I wish each of you major "recovery" from all that ails you. Sincerely!

If you had it since you were 16..maybe you think its because of your period? It's very common in women.

Closed Thread