It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2003, 03:52 PM   #1

sky1992 HB User
Lightbulb anemia and gastric bypass

Has anyone had the gastric bypass that has caused their anemia. I have been anemic for the past 2 years, becoming severe this year. I have been on iron supplements that are not helping. I take the Vit. C and the B12 and B12 shots - but nothing is helping. Because of the gastric bypass there are many foods that I can't eat that would help. I have been thinking about having the iron supplement shots, but I haven't come across enough information to make an educated decision. Any suggestions?

Old 09-27-2003, 01:19 PM   #2

Birdlips HB User
Smile

Hi!
I had the Doudenal Switch in May 2002. I have been on Niferex.
My surgeon wanted me to go off the Niferex in June 2003. Things really went down hill. I went back on the Niferex the third week in June. By mid August I was so weak. My iron numbers not good.

I saw my Internist. He sent me to a Hematologist who is familiar with bypass patients and iron defiency. He set me up for an iron infusion. I had my first one Thursday Sept 25, 2003. I can't wait to get stronger.

I am very familiar with the iron defiency with bariatric surgery.

------------------
Cherie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2003, 01:22 PM   #3

Birdlips HB User
Hi!

I told my own story and forgot some suggestions.

I would see about getting a hematologist. See if your surgeon is familiar with one. Who knows about the iron defiency in bariactric patients.

Can you eat total cereal? That has a lot of iron in it.

Old 10-04-2003, 07:22 AM   #4

squeek HB User
Yes I have had a gastric bypass 8 yrs ago. I have now prenious anemia, I have been on b-12 shots for almost 4 yrs. I have also had to have the iron through an iv. I been through that 2 different times. The shots are better, because of having the surgry the intrinsic factor is not present, so the tablets that you may be taking are doing you no good at all. This is what my dr.s have told me. The shots will give you back some of the energy that you are missing. Here is something else that you may have to look forward to. I am in the stages of finding out if I have neuropathy. Which is nerve damage, caused from the anemia. Does any one else who has had this surgry, are they suffering from any of this.

Old 11-05-2003, 08:13 PM   #5

marny61 HB User
anemia and gastric bypass surgery

I underwent a gastric bypass 8 years ago - about 4 years ago I developed pernicious anemia and have been on B12 injections since that time. This past summer I started having fatigue, swelling in my lower legs, hunger and weight gain. Finally I was diagnosed with iron defiency anemia. I have started on Infed (iron) transfusions - today was my second transfusion - two more to go and then will undergo a hysterectomy. I am interested in anyone else, who has had a gastric bypass has had this problem and how they are doing. I am wondering when I will start to feel better. Thanks for you help!

Old 11-25-2003, 08:33 AM   #6

Annie_62 HB User
Re: anemia and gastric bypass

I just started the iron IVs two weeks ago for the same thing except I'm not considered to have anemia yet. My iron stores are extremely low (count of 4) and the shots didn't help. I had 10 of them and it only raised my iron stores to an 8. I also had the surgery and would love to hear from anyone who's solved this iron situation because I really don't want permanent damage from this! If I need a weekly IV for life, so be it as long as I have energy and my metabolism back! (I, too, am going through the lethargy and possible weight gain from this).

Question 2: Are you having a hysterectomy to stop the monthly bleeding to help the anemia? Is that an option because I'd consider it!!

BTW, I had my surgery 15 months ago.
Thanks!!

Old 12-02-2003, 09:05 AM   #7

JnChristin HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sky1992
Has anyone had the gastric bypass that has caused their anemia. I have been anemic for the past 2 years, becoming severe this year. I have been on iron supplements that are not helping. I take the Vit. C and the B12 and B12 shots - but nothing is helping. Because of the gastric bypass there are many foods that I can't eat that would help. I have been thinking about having the iron supplement shots, but I haven't come across enough information to make an educated decision. Any suggestions?
I didn't have the bypass surgery, but, 1/2 my stomach was removed due to an ulcer (15 yrs. ago) Because of that, I have iron def. anemia and will have to be treated for it the rest of my life. The bottom portion of the stomach is the part that absorbs iron and with that part gone, I now have to have iron infusions to bring my hemoglobin count back up. Once it's back up to 14, that will last only 3 months and I have to do it all over again. This will always be a "bandaid" situation. I hope I've been help to you. Good luck.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:47 AM   #8

kimberanne HB User

I had a by-pass 6 years ago and I also have had major problems with this issue. I posted above. The big problem is that with that surgery you can't eat the volume of food needed to bring the iron levels up. I love being thin, but it would be even better to be healthy.

Old 12-16-2003, 06:38 PM   #9
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User
Re: anemia and gastric bypass surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by marny61
I underwent a gastric bypass 8 years ago - about 4 years ago I developed pernicious anemia and have been on B12 injections since that time. This past summer I started having fatigue, swelling in my lower legs, hunger and weight gain. Finally I was diagnosed with iron defiency anemia. I have started on Infed (iron) transfusions - today was my second transfusion - two more to go and then will undergo a hysterectomy. I am interested in anyone else, who has had a gastric bypass has had this problem and how they are doing. I am wondering when I will start to feel better. Thanks for you help!
Hi I had a gastric by pass in 1998. I am also severely anemic with my Ferritin level less than 4 and hemaglobin has been down as low as 7. My white blood counts have started to fall now and I too am tired. My weight loss has been extremely good. I lost 135 lbs which is half of what I weighed to start with. I can eat most everything now except beef, but still have times during the month that I throw up.
It is good to hear from others who are several years out on the Gastric By pass. I feel like this iron problem is something that never gets talked about sufficiently when people are talking about complications. The neuropathy is definitely a problem, but I have been lucky so far in that I only have a few problems. But due to the anemia, I am having a lot of bone pain lately. I did have an iron infusion almost 2 years ago. It helped for about a year. And, my iron has never dropped quite as low as that again. However recently I am having a lot of headaches. So I am pretty sure, the B-12 and Folic acid are off again.....

Old 04-30-2004, 08:21 PM   #10

twinsmom92 HB User

I had my gastric bypass almost 3 yrs ago. I was diagnosed anemia 1 yr ago. I tried iron pills for 3 months and my counts did not budge. So I had 14 iron infusions over 2 month time frame. My counts when up. Total iron from 31 to 121 and hemaglobin from 8.5 to 13.00. I felt great. 3 monthes later I went for blood test. Iron dropped to 31 again and hemo-10.8. I lost all the iron thru my menstral cycle. I had suddenly started to have heavy periods. Now I am going to have a procedure call endometrial eblation to reduce the amount of monthly bleeding, then I will get my iron infusions again an hopefully that will take care of my anemia problems.

Old 05-01-2004, 03:07 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
Half of iron is stored in red blood cells

... and iron is needed to make red blood cells.

I don't know anything about gastric bypass; but low iron? I have heard of that with those exposed to ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (2-butoxyethanol) Iron counts get down very, very low. Do the retic ratio test and CBC with differentials ... both test are $50 + $17 so not bad to rule this chemical exposure in or out.

Odd as it may seem, if you are fatigued and have low iron, I would ask for a kidney function test. Kidneys produce hormones that help make strong bones and red blood cells. Sometimes if there are kidney stones they are indicative of a metabolic imbalance (check thyroid)

Pernicious anemia? I read a little about that once, and someone shared a testimonial on eating liver every day and it gave wonderful results

Old 06-12-2004, 02:25 AM   #12

chickiepoomama HB User
Question Re: anemia and gastric bypass

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek
Yes I have had a gastric bypass 8 yrs ago. I have now prenious anemia, I have been on b-12 shots for almost 4 yrs. I have also had to have the iron through an iv. I been through that 2 different times. The shots are better, because of having the surgry the intrinsic factor is not present, so the tablets that you may be taking are doing you no good at all. This is what my dr.s have told me. The shots will give you back some of the energy that you are missing. Here is something else that you may have to look forward to. I am in the stages of finding out if I have neuropathy. Which is nerve damage, caused from the anemia. Does any one else who has had this surgry, are they suffering from any of this.
Hi Squeek, are you still around? I know this is an old post, but it looks like I'm in the exact same place you are. I have had iron infusions, transfusions and currently I think I have neuropathy but the doc isn't treating me for it .. yet. I didn't know what to call it until I read your post.
I'm currently sitting here w/ so much leg pain that I'm finding it hard to walk, but it seems the doc isn't interested. I'm pretty upset about the whole thing and at loss as to what to do next or to make it better.
If anyone else has this problem, please let me know what you did to get well.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

Marimac HB UserMarimac HB User

There are side effects from the gastric by pass that people must be willing to accept. But, having this surgery for cosmetics reasons only should be against the law. It does cause iron deficiency anemia for the rest of your life. It does cause peripheral neuopathy. It causes osteoporosis, bone loss and can eventually send you down the road to acquired aplastic anemia. The reasons to have the gastric by pass are to prevent death from diabetes, undetected cancers due to being hidden in the fat, and heart attack and stroke from too much weight. We all have to die from something. Hopefully it will be boredom. But if not, the symptoms of iron deficiency are the least bothersome thing you could have.. IT is not an end of the world problem to have. It just takes good health care taking. Something that a lot of us overweight people were not doing to start with. I know that there are plenty of people out there who became obese no matter what they tried to do to take care of themselves. That particular group of people do very well on this surgery because they already try to take care of themselves. Those who want magicaly fixes for their problems do horribly on this weightloss surgery and then screw it up for people who need it the most. Some people enjoy poor health and the perceived attention that they get from having poor health. But, for those who want to do the best with what they have, it is a wonderful gift.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:32 PM   #14

chickiepoomama HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marimac
There are side effects from the gastric by pass that people must be willing to accept. But, having this surgery for cosmetics reasons only should be against the law. It does cause iron deficiency anemia for the rest of your life. It does cause peripheral neuopathy. It causes osteoporosis, bone loss and can eventually send you down the road to acquired aplastic anemia. The reasons to have the gastric by pass are to prevent death from diabetes, undetected cancers due to being hidden in the fat, and heart attack and stroke from too much weight. We all have to die from something. Hopefully it will be boredom. But if not, the symptoms of iron deficiency are the least bothersome thing you could have.. IT is not an end of the world problem to have. It just takes good health care taking. Something that a lot of us overweight people were not doing to start with. I know that there are plenty of people out there who became obese no matter what they tried to do to take care of themselves. That particular group of people do very well on this surgery because they already try to take care of themselves. Those who want magicaly fixes for their problems do horribly on this weightloss surgery and then screw it up for people who need it the most. Some people enjoy poor health and the perceived attention that they get from having poor health. But, for those who want to do the best with what they have, it is a wonderful gift.
I hope this little rant isn't directed at me ... but it sure seems to be.
IF it is ... and again, I hope not ... it appears you are assuming quite a bit.

Old 06-13-2004, 09:35 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Dear Maggie HB User
sounds like general warnings

Sounds like Merimac knows a lot about this and your post gives an opportunity to post on the topic

I wouldn't take everything personally; but it might be a good idea to check it out more

Closed Thread