It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 01:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Post Ladies: How do you stop bleeding?

I have been posting this question all over the internet. I discovered I was anemic back in February when my hemoglobin was 8 and I live at high alttude. My docs didn't do a lot of testing, but they decided my b12 and folate were fine so they gave me iron pills and things got better. Before they got better, though, they got worse. I have been having some trouble with random and constant bleeding that may be related to a small fibroid in the back of my uterus. I had one doc tell me that this type of bleeding will not only exacerbate anemia, but that it is more likely to happen when you are anemic - not as a cause, but as a side effect. By the way, I am 26 so it isn't a question of adolescence or menopause.

We stopped the bleeding a few months ago - sort of - with lots of birth control pills and now I take two a day, but I have been losing some blood every day this month. I just woke up to change my pad for the second time tonight and my period was two weeks ago. I am losing a lot of blood and a lot of sleep. I talked to my doc and I will see him tomorrow, but he basically said that it sounds like I have a tendency to bleed and he doesn't think he can do anything for me.

He also discourages any kind of exercise when I am bleeding and I am an extremely active person. Of course, as the anemia gets more severe, I become less likely to exercise and then my whole outlook on life gets worse.

OK, it's really late, but I am going in tomorrow and I am looking for help from anyone who has ever been through this. How did you stop bleeding?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2003, 05:33 AM   #2

QuietStorm4000 HB User
Red face

Wow! Bummer! If you just went on the BC pills it'll take a few MONTHS to stop the bleeding altogether. For some reason it takes them quite a while to settle the system. I'm sure you know the obvious solution but you're way too young to consider that! If you want kids you'll have to stick with meds. Do they know WHY you bleed so much? I was also told that when you're iron deficient you bleed more heavily. My hematologist explained that iron plays a role in constriction of the blood vessels so it can actually perpetuate itself if not stopped!! Stay on top of this with your docs and don't hesitate to switch dr.s if they don't listen and work with you. In the meantime take your iron pills (there's lots of different ones if one bothers you) and eat plenty of iron rich foods!

Old 07-24-2003, 07:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thanks for the quick response QuietStorm. I have been on bcp's for six years. I have been on this brand for 6 months. When I had and episode of excessive bleeding in April, I took six a day for a few days, then worked down to two. It stopped in less than a week. I have been taking two a day since then so that is about 3 months. I stopped taking my iron when I got up to hemoglobin of 13 in June, even though my goal was about 15 because of my altitude. Silly, I know. I do eat lots of iron rich foods, including beans and spinach, but my body seems to want more, I guess. The one thing my doc will do for me today is check my hemoglobin and he usually gives me free iron and bc pills. If my iron is down, I can probably assume that the bleeding is related.

Old 07-24-2003, 08:13 AM   #4

nicolle HB User
No offense against men, but often it is best to see a female gyne.

The fibroid may possibly need to be removed surgically.

If not, avoid alcohol, dairy, too much fatty foods incl. any animal products, oils, etc. No chocolate and not too much salt.

Stick to whole grains, fibrous veggies and some fruits and often the fibroids disappear on their own along with the bad periods.

Also, I'd recommend seeing a female gyne and going possibly for another pelvic ultrasound.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2003, 10:55 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thanks for the advice. There are only male gyne's here and female midwives. I saw a female once for my annual pap and it was a disaster. It was like she took the attitude that she goes through the same stuff all the time so other women should be able to tolerate it just fine. That was the only time my pap hurt and made me bleed and it turned out abnormal and she told me I had HPV even though I wasn't sexually active. She has no idea how much trauma she caused. Other women are probably very compassionate, but my guy doc is very timid and gentle since he can't empathize.

I really wonder if anything can be done medically. He refuses to operate since I am young and he thinks it is in a spot that could cause permanent damage, but he never asks whether I do plan on having kids. (What kind of kid would want these genes?) It is a relatively small fibroid - the size of a nickel. Maybe I can fix my diet and make it go away - as I sit here eating yogurt.

Going back on the iron should help and he does give it to me for free along with plenty of bcp's.

Thanks again for the advice and for letting me rant.

Nik

Old 07-24-2003, 01:59 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Nicolle,

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I learned a lot about HPV back when I had my first abnormal pap and got my real gyno to do an HPV screening and I didn't have it then. I had only had one consensual partner who had only been with me and one non-consensual partner at the time. The woman didn't take the time to figure that out and assumed that an abnormal pap meant HPV. It doesn't and further paps and colpos and digenes and everything else are definitely warranted before you freak a young girl out like that. I have been through it all and I do have HPV now. I had a LEEP and my cervix looks healthy now, but my follow-up pap isn't for two weeks. I didn't have HPV then and it was wrong of her to make that assumption simply based on the pap that she may have screwed up on her own. I lived in Chicago then, but I had been home for a week and had my annual exam done then. No one at the University of Chicago thought that the HPV diagnosis was valid and I could not get anyone there to perform my colpo then.

I did see my doc today and I am going to see my PCP - a woman - in a few minutes. Murphy's law would say that if I were going to have a reprieve from the bleeding at anytime, it would be while I was on his table and that is exactly what happened. Five minutes after I left the office I was bleeding again.

The man offered sleeping pills and that was about it. Oh, and I got my free bcp and iron. So, I am going to look for further advice or a referral to the nearest big city doc two hours away.

The good news is that my hemoglobin is at 13.7. Not quite as high as it should be here, but so much better than 8.2. It would probably be normal if I hadn't been bleeding all month. Hopefully, someone can help me stop the bleeding so that it doesn't drop any more.

I'd like to learn more about a good diet for fibroids. I am a big carnivore which seems to help my anemia and hypoglycemia, but I can get away from that and stick to vitamin supplements if it will help. I once heard cherry juice would help, but it's tough to find in my little town. As for exercise, it really does seem to exacerbate the bleeding and it is something I don't think I should have to give up.

I'll let you know if this doc has any good advice. SOmeone should turn me into a case study.

Nik

Old 07-24-2003, 04:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Good news. My PCP looked at my overall health over the last year which included a mysterious fever of 104 for 12 days, a broken leg while flying a kite, anemia, bleeding, dysplasia, and hypoglycemia. She decided it doesn't all add up and something must be done. She is going to review it all and decide who gets to do this case study - a women's health clinic or a hematologist. I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Old 07-25-2003, 09:22 PM   #8
(female)

LynneJW HB User
Concerning the fibroid, there is now a new treatment that seems to be quite effective. I can't remeber the name of it, but it involves injecting something into the artery that feeds the fibriod. This disruption of blood causes the fibriod to die. Maybe this could be an option for you? I know this is being offered in some cities in Canada, not sure about the rest of the world.
Good luck!

Old 07-26-2003, 08:07 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thanks Lynne and welcome.

My docs both seem to agree that this little fibroid shouldn't cause this much trouble. I will have to ask about this option, though, when I get my new doctor in the city.

I am also beginning to wonder if something else can be done with epinephrine. I have a new theory about why I stopped bleeding the morning that I saw my doc. I went on a short hike that morning and I disturbed a rattle snake. I think the adrenaline rush that helped to to escape may have stopped my blood flow. The reason I think this is because they used epinephrine to prevent bleeding when they operated on me in May. I wonder if there could be a connection, but I am really not sure since I am not a doc. Perhaps the longterm effects of adrenaline on the body are too risky, though.

Old 07-29-2003, 07:08 PM   #10
Inactive

jasmine30 HB User
Hi PaNik,
Since the subject of your posting was how do you stop the bleeding,this is what I can tell you.

Like you I have had non-stop bleeding.I havent been told I have a Fibroid.Our bleeding may not be brought on by the same problem,however we both still have the same prob.

I started having this bleeding in 98 after stopping the BCP Ortho-Tricyclen.I have had an office D & C,took Depo-Shots that made me gain weight and still didnt stop it.What helped me was taking the Hormone Provera 10 MG the 1st 10 days of each month.

Mine is more Hormonal than anything.If I were you,I would ask my Doctor to check your Hormone levels.When I started taking Provera,I had a normal period start a week to 10 days after taking the 10th pill.The bleeding completely stopped until I was to have my next period.

Old 07-30-2003, 08:25 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Thanks Jasmine,

My gyne has never checked my levels and has refused to do any kind of surgery on me. He just keeps offering my more bcp's. He did suggest depo or and IUD. The IUD could make things better in a year and the depo scares me because you are stuck with it once you have been injected.

Maybe I can convince a new doc to check my hormones.

Thanks.

Old 09-01-2003, 01:47 PM   #12

Aviva HB User
Hello everyone

I have fibroids too and was experiencing very heavy and painful periods. I saw a homeopath and had enormously helpful results. I was given a remedy called Fraxinus Americanus which very quickly started to change the symptoms I was suffering. Another remedy also helped to stop the bleeding in between periods.

So, to any ladies out there with fibriods, I would really recommend going to see a homeopath - it helped me immensly.

Old 09-02-2003, 04:44 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Hi Aviva,

I am going to see a new doctor in a few weeks to try to get an answer as to what is actually causing my bleeding. The bleeding is only a symptom of something else. Once I find out what it is, I am going to pursue every avenue possible to keep it from causing so many problems. For now, I lose a little very day and replace it with an iron pill and a vitamin.

So cool! Another nurse just called and they can see me on Monday!

Old 09-05-2003, 12:41 PM   #14

mommy_of_two HB User
I had a D&C on July 23 to stop my bleeding that had gone on for 3 months EXCESSIVELY (like going though a super tampon AND a pad in 1 hour). My D&C biopsy showed that I have Complex Hyperplasia without Atypia (abnormal cells in the uterus, not pre-cancer cells, but could become pre-cancer at any time) and my doctor says that this condition is probably what caused the bleeding. He had given me a shot of Progesterone thinking it was a hormonal imbalance a week and a half before, which didn't work. It is now Sept. 5 and I haven't had any bleeding (except for the very light spotting for a couple of days after my D&C). The Hyperplasia is caused by several monthly cycles when no ovulation occured (I went for 6-7 months with no period). And now, since I've had no period yet after the D&C, it looks as though I'm still not ovulating...BUT...my doctor said at my 4 week follow- up that he didn't want me having periods at this time because of my anemia. It's a vicious circle. Take care and keep on your doctors to find the cause of your bleeding...mine wouldn't have known if he hadn't performed the D&C. You might suggest he/she do an endometrial biopsy...have you had one done yet?

Old 09-05-2003, 01:36 PM   #15
Senior Veteran

PaNik5717 HB User
Wow, what was the D&C like? They almost did one on me back in April, but they gave me a ton of hormones and the bleeding stopped for about a month. My regular gyn refuses to do any surgery on me unless maybe I bleed down to a hgb of 5! I am only 26 with no kids and he won't operate until I have two kids. He hasn't even checked my hormone levels. So, off to this new doc on Monday. She has already given me a ton of hormones and they aren't working after a week. Maybe that will be a clue for them.

Right now I bleed excessivley for a few hours and then it stops. Other days I only bleed a little and it might even stop completely for one or two days. In the end, my iron pills seem to balance out the blood loss, but it is still a hassle. And even though my hgb is up, I still feel really weak when I am bleeding.

Can they give you any kind of reverse hormones to encourage you to ovulate? Was the D&C supposed to cure you or will your bleeding come back if you don't ovulate? Let us know how things go for you. There are several of us on here who aren't supposed to ovulate or menstruate at all right now. I will be so excited when that finally happens for me!

Closed Thread