It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2003, 07:48 PM   #1

montanajane HB User
Unhappy allergy to ferrous sulfate

I was finally diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I think I have had it for several years. I have terrible fatigue, lightheaded, poor concentration, sore tongue, brittle nails, anyway, I was put on ferrous sulfate tablets. After 2 weeks of taking them, I had started to feel better but developed terrible rash and hives. So the doctor put me on feosol. I only took it 3 days and broke out in hives again. Now the doctor says to try to eat iron rich foods. Just wondering if anybody else has had an allergy to iron supplements or knows of other ways to increase iron.

Old 09-19-2003, 06:34 AM   #2

StacieLee2000 HB User
Quote:
Originally posted by montanajane:
I was finally diagnosed with iron deficiency anemia. I think I have had it for several years. I have terrible fatigue, lightheaded, poor concentration, sore tongue, brittle nails, anyway, I was put on ferrous sulfate tablets. After 2 weeks of taking them, I had started to feel better but developed terrible rash and hives. So the doctor put me on feosol. I only took it 3 days and broke out in hives again. Now the doctor says to try to eat iron rich foods. Just wondering if anybody else has had an allergy to iron supplements or knows of other ways to increase iron.
Hi,
Sorry to hear about your anemia. I have it too, and I know how inconvenient it is. I took ferrous sulfate, and the next morning, I woke up with a rash on my hands. After speaking with the pharmacist, he mentioned that it had sulfa in it (sulfate)-which I am allergic to. That helped explain the rash. I don't know the ingredients of feosol. In the future I will be sure to ask the pharmacist what all the ingredients are in any medication I take. I have had a very difficult time finding iron tablets that my body can tolerate. I am now taking iron supplements, and while I have to take more of them, to make up for the one ferrous sulfate, it's worth it to me, to not have the side effects. But remember, that even though the prescribed iron pill may be 325 mg, only about 65 mg of that was iron. So, I'm right where I would have been had I continued taking it. Iron rich foods: liver, brocolli, spinach and red meat are best. I also snack on raisins. Hope this helps. Feel free to write whenever you want. Take care and good luck,
Stacie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2003, 08:40 PM   #3

montanajane HB User
I am now taking carbonyl iron. So far I haven't broken out yet. I had tried ferrous gluconate. I am allergic to sulfa also and I had asked the phamacist about it and he said there would be no problem because the sulfa and sulfate were not the same thing. I think he was wrong. I am not taking as large a dose yet of the carbonyl iron, want to see how I do with it. Hopefully it works. Thanks

Old 11-26-2003, 11:11 AM   #4

ChestOut HB User
Re: allergy to ferrous sulfate

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanajane
montanajane I had an allergic reaction to ferrous sulfate tablets but ferrous furmate tablets work well for me.

Old 09-13-2004, 07:37 PM   #5

IRD HB User

Now I may be getting somewhere.... sulfate reaction that makes sense. I finally got my act together in taking my slow fe iron late May through June of 2004. Taking it loyally... then bam... What looked like mosquito bites. Those kept coming and coming... I am now on two meds to control that outbreak. I dropped the Iron (ferrous sulfate in mid stream reaction) and just started it up again for I didnt want to get behind on my anemia situation... Pins and needles sensations came back, though I am on an H1 blocker (antihistamine/allegra) and H2 (Zantac) which is probably blocking most of the reaction I would otherwise get. Needless to say I am stopping the Slow FE Iron (took two days so far). Have any of you developed a pin ***** feeling as result of Ferrous Sulfate? (In addtion to rash) What was this rash like.. itchy like bites? Also please... list alternatives of Iron that you have since found do not give you an allergic response. Thank you.

Old 09-15-2004, 05:10 PM   #6

IRD HB User

I am assuming the feosol you took was not the carbonyl iron type (caplets) but rather another version of the ferrous sulfate they make. For others on this board that have had a reaction to ferrous sulfate and tried carbonyl iron, how did that go? Any rash with that?

IRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by montanajane

Closed Thread