It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Anemia Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
Veteran

robste HB User
Angry Ferrous Sulfate Iron Supplements

Because I've been diagnosed with iron-deficiency anemia, my gastro. dr. told me to start taking ferrous sulfate supplements (320mg. each)twice a day.

I just started taking the supplements on Saturday...they are making me sort of nauseous, to the point of where I don't have much of an appetite.

Does the nauseous feeling subside as you get used to taking the iron pills over time?

Also, I've heard that it's best to take them on an empty stomach with some vitamin C for better absorbtion, however, on the package instructions, it says to take them with food. I'm confused, lol

I'd appreciate any feedback...thanks!

------------------

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2003, 03:53 PM   #2

amwood HB User
Hey there...it sounds like we're in the same situation. They still don't know the cause of my anemia either, and I've had ALL the tests done as well. Regarding the iron supplement question...this is what I was told by my hematologist...I was taking the same supplement you are, 3 times a day with food. I told this to my hematologist, who then told me that I'd be better off taking ONE supplement on an empty stomach vs. three on a full stomach...apparently iron's absorbed better on an empty stomach; however, he also added that he hasn't had one patient yet that can tolerate those pills on an empty stomach. And you're right, iron is absorbed better when taken w/vitamin C...I'm sure you've read the posts on this board talking about things that help/hinder iron absorption.
The supplements pretty much always upset my stomach and left me without much of an appetite, which for me isn't good since I'm a recovering anorexic, so that was the last thing my doctor's wanted me to have - lol! I now get IV iron from my hematologist whenever things are really low...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2003, 01:41 AM   #3

Thadius HB User
If ferrous sulfate is too hard on your stomach, you can switch to ferrous gluconate. It's easier on the stomach. You'll find it to be more expensive than the ferrous sulfate at the drug store just for that reason.

The reason it says to take with food is because it does hurt the stomach. The reason it says to take on an empty stomach is because it is absorbed better. Taking 500mg of Vitamin C with the ferrous sulfate or gluconate will increase the time it takes to absorb the iron.

However not all anemia is classified as Iron-Deficient. It's important to know what type of anemia you have been diagnosed with.

[This message has been edited by Thadius (edited 10-13-2003).]

Old 10-14-2003, 12:08 PM   #4
hallp

Unhappy

I had a lot of problems with taking the supplements--My doctor even had me on a prenatal med...then he switched me to Hemocyte tabs. These are not making me "sick" like the others.

Closed Thread